Jim's Supersized 6x6x12 TD plan - sleeps 4 with hot shower

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby jimqpublic » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:22 pm

Chip wrote:thanks Nick,,thats it,,HEY JIM take a look at this monster,,,,dual axle etc etc etc

chip

I agree it's a work of art. I followed the early phases of its construction in 2001 when I was still thinking of building my own. I especially like the unique transverse kitchen location.

It isn't though what I was thinking of - Inside it is somewhat similar to our Chalet with bed, kitchen, and dinette. It would sleep four but would require conversion of the dinette. Again, I would prefer an outside kitchen with inside restroom. I never saw the total weight but I suspect it would be a bit heavier than my goal.

Speaking of weight- I would aim at keeping the trailer dry weight under 2000, allowing plenty of gear, fluids, and passengers in the tow vehicle and trailer while staying well under a minivan friendly 3500 pound total.

Dual axles are definitely a thought. Many "experts" postulate that all else being equal, dual axles allow lower tongue weight than single for the same stability.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:31 pm

Jim,

I think if you do a stick built tiny trailer with 1/4" moisture resistant luan on the outside, 1/4" & 1/8" plywood on the inside, and a lightweight frame, you can probably build a 6x12 that would weigh less than 1200#.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jimqpublic » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:39 pm

I forgot all about this thread. It's basically the same trailer as my Angular Maxi post but with beautiful curves instead of flat slabs.

I think if I did build one or the other I'd go with the extra work in making it curvy. Maybe more of a sloped Benroy where the roof top slopes down at a slight angle to promote drainage but is still mostly a flat panel.

Jim
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs