The Amazing Trailerboat

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby angib » Tue May 24, 2005 4:23 am

If you would be interested to build a trailerboat, I'd be happy to work out the dimensions - I even think I could use a boatbuilding program to draw out the shape of the individual pieces of ply.

However you should be aware that something like a Trailerboat is quite difficult to build. The boat itself is fairly easy as is the overall trailer body, but the doors are a whole different matter - they're curved and don't have a square edge anywhere. Eeek! An easier method might be to change the trailer a rear-entry design like GeorgeT's Compact GT.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby hoggtyed » Wed May 25, 2005 5:29 pm

I beleive if you used something like the the PD racer as the boat (4x8 square shaped boat. Like a short very wide jon boat with straight sides no flare.) put the chines on the outside trim the trailor the same way would lokk kinda like a grasshopper woody LOL wish I had auto cad system to draw what I am trying to say. :oops:
hoggtyed
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Wed May 25, 2005 7:06 pm

Hogg,

That was too tempting a suggestion so here it is - the PD Trailerboat:

I'm just a touch nervous about the weight of the boat that high up and maybe taking 6" off the height of the trailer underneath wouldn't go amiss.

The trailer is a simple box on a Harbor Freight chassis, so I've put a pair of regular hinged doors on the back - the inside of the doors would be ideal for displaying one's spice rack collection...

This is looking good! :thumbsup: If anyone is wondering about the PD bit, visit the PD Racer web site.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby hoggtyed » Wed May 25, 2005 9:11 pm

You da man! :thumbsup: Thats exactly what I was talking about . I was wondering what the over all max safe height of a 4 ft wide trailor would be. Would use 1/4 luan for the boat and spruce or fir 1" x 2" for chines to keep the weight down. All screw and glue contruction use bondo for filler 2 coats primer and a good exterior latex. I can see it now. :thinking: And the wife thinks it looks pretty cool.
hoggtyed
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Thu May 26, 2005 11:37 am

And here is the interior view:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby cguardsman » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:00 pm

Nick Taylor wrote:
QQMoose wrote:Re: Trailer / Boat combinations. I just purchased a 1954 (?) Kompac trailer with the boat on the roof. Yes it looks like a '52-55 Ford sedan delivery from the rear. It is in pretty sad shape and missing parts. Does anyone have any information about this interesting item ? I will be more than happy to share information. Photos not available as yet.

that is similar to what i would like to build sans boat...i want to put rear fenders off a 51 chevy sedan on a modified tear so it would match my 51...

Click on the picture for more.

Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby cracker39 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:06 pm

The trailer boat picture taken by TWC3 was featured in a TV program about Teardrop Campers and the people who love them, on the Travel Channel. It will probably play again sometime in the near future.

Dale
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby surveytech » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:46 pm

Dale,
like the squidget a lot.
have you started yet? Would love to see it.
Poinciana here. not far at all.
thanks,
Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs