Help with plans for a weekender/squared 4x8 camper?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:14 pm

Greg, Glad you're still around. I hadn't seen a post from you in a while.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GregB » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:49 pm

LOML was home for over a week. 8)
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Jeeper917 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:14 am

:D Well I am gathering up stuff to build, I have a great door handle with lock I purchased on ebay, a really cool set of teardrop shaped tail lights, and the material and foam for the inside bedding. I will be moving this month though, so I have to put off buying the building materials for a bit, plus its been extra cold here in NC lately. However while I cant build I can plan, but I am stuck on what color to paint it. I wanted to paint it black like my jeep but thinking about the heat buildup in the summer months...leaning towards white gloss with color change powder and a nice dark blue swoosh stripe on the sides. As for the shape of it, I am going to have the squared off version defineitly, most likely with a mostly flat backend for space. Also leaning heavily toward building it at 5 feet over the wheels for interior space. Not claustrophobic but the thjought of two people squished into 4 feet of space leaves me wanting air. Please anyone let me know if there are actual building plans to purchase for this type of camper. I think I will be fine but to measure twice and cut once, I will need something to guide me. :?
Jeeper917
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:29 pm

Just use the generic benroy plans, and modify the plans to your profile. The Generic Benroy plans is in the top line of the menu.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby AmyH » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:42 pm

Dana, welcome! I am one of the female teardrop builders on the forum. I am quite a bit slower to get going than Joanne, but I am getting back to the welding of my chassis this weekend. I had a little difficulty getting my welder set up just right. I will be building mine over the wheels as well, since I didn't think to get an axle for a 5' wide tear to begin with. But...I think it is going to work out great in the long run. Mine will sit over the wheels about halfway (in order to keep to 5' wide aluminum sheets), and I plan to build fenders from laminated wood and fiberglass. I am building a half-woody with an aluminum skinned top. BTW, I think the squared off design that you are leaning toward will look fantastic behind the Jeep!! :thumbsup: Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your photos as you progress!

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Jeeper917 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:14 pm

Thanks Mike, I will look for that and definitely use it. Sounds perfect to me. Got some vintage plans off ebay recently, got some good ideas from those too for details. Thanks Amy for replying, I will def. post pics as I go along. Like I said it will be a bit after I move before I can buy supplies, but I am looking forward to getting started. Gool luck with your project as well.
Dana
Jeeper917
Teardrop Inspector

Hey mike

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Thu May 11, 2006 7:20 am

Whats that last design you have on your post? It seems really spacious
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby GregB » Thu May 11, 2006 8:54 am

Nut,

Why that is Mike's first rendering of the (in)famous MiniBago! Here is a more recent CAD rendering of my soon-to-be-built TT.
It is spacious, I built a full size cardboard mock-up and got in it first, to make sure there was room for both of us. My album has more.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

plans

Postby sunstarjeep » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:46 pm

I have seen the design library and still looking for my choice of what to build. Looking at going towards something like the Rimple. Is there somewhere to find information on how to mate the walls and floors, using any special chalk or glue? I've seen a few places to buy build plans and there any places to do that, that offer a good variety of plans?
thanks for the help..
sunstarjeep
Teardrop Inspector

Re: plans

Postby madjack » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:25 pm

sunstarjeep wrote:I have seen the design library and still looking for my choice of what to build. Looking at going towards something like the Rimple. Is there somewhere to find information on how to mate the walls and floors, using any special chalk or glue? I've seen a few places to buy build plans and there any places to do that, that offer a good variety of plans?
thanks for the help..

...you absolutely can't beat the "generic benroy" plans at the top of the page...the techniques described there can be applied to virtually any TD(and it's free)...if you just gotta spend money,buy Steve Fredericks CD for an alternative building method, which once again, can be applied to most any profile and reading and researching past threads will give you access to the most comprehensive archive of tips and tricks in existences
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby jagular7 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:51 pm

Dana, welcome to the forum. I'm also a Jeeper and actually researched a lot on the TDs. I did purchase a commercial built one to get me by as well as learn. Storage is a difficult thing for us Jeepers. Sleeping more than 2 is also a difficult thing. My son and I usually wheel, but my daughter wants to participate. My wheeling is mostly weekends, so I wanted a light weight camper to use for such activity.

I have plans for a 5x9 camper. The longer length is for storage more than anything else. The wider than 4 due to it's a little tight with the 4' width for 2 people. Keep reading the forum, especially the topic areas that deal with your situation. That's what is great about this forum. I went back several months once I stopped lurking. Plan out your typical camping trip, plan the location to store your amentities, then design around what works for you.

Good luck.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

square

Postby stbuch » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:01 am

Hey, Dana

Our design is pretty square and just about as simple as you can get!
Check out our album to see pics.

Sherrie
Good grief, isn�t it the weekend yet?
Maybe if I sleep in the camper the week
will pass faster�
stbuch
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs