Tiny single-wheel for scooter

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby mwatters » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:19 pm

The fella breaking that record doesn't have to worry about making an emergency stop or turn after some idiot turns left in front of him. :D

Mike
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby Podunkfla » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:17 pm

I started out building a trailer for my bicycle when I was 13... It worked well. I even hauled lumber with it. I later on built some for scooters and motorcycles... Both one and two wheelers.
I like the single wheel trailers the best (except for heavy loads). I think they track better and I have never experienced one trying to gyrate or sway. I built one as far back as 1962 and first pulled it behind a Cushman Eagle with no problems. I've pulled them behind a number of larger bikes since then. Most of the ones I built had no suspension. I did build one from an old motorcycle frame that did. We just used 2 go kart front spindles to make the hitches... It is still a very good and simple way to do it. The spindles are welded together back to back in a cross. The spindle on the trailer stays bolted. The front one uses the spindle bolt to lock it into the vertical tube on the rig we built to fit the bike. We also sometimes used junkyard U-joints on some for the swivels. On most of the later ones we used 2" exhaust pipe tubing for the frame tube because it was light yet strong enough and easy & cheap to get custom bent. I built a few with Coleman coolers for the box... hey, we used them to haul beer to the beach mostly anyway. :lol:

These little Uni-Go's are really cool... But they have a pretty hot price! :o

Uni-Go hitch... (a U-joint type)

Uni-Go...

friend ~ Brick

SIDE NOTE: I just bought a new hydraulic tube bender... so I will prolly build another one or two sometime soon. 8)
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby brian_bp » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:49 pm

angib wrote:... the world record holder for towing a motorcycle trailer - 139mph:

The stock specs for the Squire D21 trailer which was used include this (I added the emphasis):
CHASSIS - Integrated chassis/body design provides a low centre of gravity (essential for good handling). Fully suspended on variable rate coil springs with hydraulic dampers. Double ball bearing sealing hubs, with 12” diameter light alloy wheels and speed rated tyres.

This is not a basic utility trailer, and illustrates the design features needed for good handling.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby STepheNZ » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:28 pm

Hi Folks

This is my first post on your Forum. Here in New Zealand I have never seen a teardrop, and stumbled onto them on the net. However we do have a company making great mono wheel motorcycle trailers that have been towed to over 200Km/h on a race track.

I can't figure out how to post a photo here, but take a moment and visit http://www.uni-go.com/ to see what can be achieved. Scooting with a little trailer is a great idea! Of course you can build it yourself. As someone else suggested, make what you can and ask asround... there are lots of people who can weld that I'm sure will swap thier skill for yours.... even if all you do is clean their car.

Go for it!
STepheNZ
Teardrop Inspector

hitch

Postby wd7ebc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:13 pm

Do not think that the problems with the hitch can not be overcome... Look up heim joint on the web All it takes is an eyebolt and a bolt You may be able to see one on the frame that is in my album.. Hope this helps.javascript:emoticon(':worship:')
Worship
It is not when you get there but HOW!!!
wd7ebc
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs