MiniBago interior cutaway

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

hello

Postby Jeeper92 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:28 pm

Did you ever start building that weekender/mini bago you were talking aobut?
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby GregB » Fri May 25, 2007 2:44 am

I have the floor finished. And I'm going to start work on the walls this weekend. And, yes, the design has changed again. I figure, once I put up the walls, I'll have to stop changing my mind on large revisions.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

do you have any pics?

Postby Jeeper92 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:13 am

Please post some pics of this , id love to see them. What are the dimensions you finally settled on? What size trailer are you using?
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby GregB » Thu May 31, 2007 2:48 pm

Sorry, I'll post the design shortly.

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:56 pm

Looking forward to it. :worship:
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Minibago final design

Postby GregB » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:28 am

Mark,

Sorry it has taken so long. It turns out that the Boss has weighed in on the design. She requires a small sitting area in addition to a bed. The final design is 13' long by 5' 3" wide. Wow, 13 feet! I have the walls laid up on a makeshift bench and it is HUGE. This design is modeled on the Spitfire that was at ITG #1. I like the look on this bigger trailer.

GregB
500 Club

Postby angib » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:36 pm

An idea that popped into my head and popped out my mouth:

If there's enough headroom to sit on the front seating, under that dip in the roof, I would have thought there was headroom to sit on the end of the bed (which is 6" higher up?). That would give lots of space for cabinets where the seating now is, plus somewhere to store the removable backrest that fits over the bed to give you something to lean back on. The backrest would have to have a few 1x2s across the back so it could span from sidewall to sidewall.

Or is 'Her indoors' wanting face-to-face seating for four?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby GregB » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:04 pm

Andrew,

I asked Her POSH-ness about the preference for cabinets (as in Jim Olds original Spitfire) vs. a seat and was told that the seat allows her to look over her desmene with a regal splendour that is not afforded by the edge of the bed (how gauche!). Pinochle for four during inclement weather was offered as a secondary justification. The seat also provides a bunk for Baby Max who will soon be joining the ranks of grubby-faced, camping children everywhere.
Curiously enough, your idea for a portable backrest is one that I had considered as well. I had thought that it might store under the seat cushion and could also be used as an additional bunk, should Max require a sibling. It may still happen, but I'm concerned about maneuvering a 24"x63" piece of timber in a space that is this small.

As always, Port-side Outbound, Starboard Home,

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby Elumia » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:13 pm

Better to check with her now before too much building....

The back of the front bench, if hinged on top could fold up to (secured to side wall with a barrel bolt):

A: provide a bunk bed arrangement should second grubby camp child appear.

B: Provide a place for some additional storage

Nice looking rig.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby Greg M » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:20 pm

How about having the foot of the bed fold up to reveal the second bench seat. Kind of like an interior rumble seat? Then you wouldn't need to find someplace to put the portable seat back.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby GregB » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:24 am

Greg,

Yup, thought about that. We got the 8" Walmart foam mattress and I don't think that it would like being folded back like that, but I haven't tried it yet. I have just installed it on a bed platform in our spare room. I'll have to go see how well it bends.

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby Lesbest » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:58 am

Instead of a piece of lumber to move how about a piece of "canvas" attached to the foot of the bed frame and supported by a PVC pipe and slung like the old canvas outside chairs? With the pipe high enough it would not hit your back or sholders. The hard part wound be figuring out how much material to use to get the right curve.
Good luck.
Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Postby Wright » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:15 pm

:o WoW... That got long... Your Lovely Bride didn't like the "dinette-to-bed" conversion like in the Lil'Diner or the Road Toad?? that's got to have one heck'uv'a tongue weight like that... :roll: Otherwise a beautiful design as usual... are you sure you don't want to design mine for me??? :lol:
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Postby GregB » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:15 pm

Honestly, it wasn't her. I'm trying to simplify, simplify, simplify. I think that too many clever inventions making a space pull double duty means that it won't do either very well. I really didn't want to convert a table to a bed. For back support while sitting on the edge of the bed, we might just use those cot chairs from Cabela's. Plus, I'm now going to make the bench 24" deep and just have a 6" deep back cushion (very firm) to make it work for both a bench and Max's bed (we'll put the back cushion on the floor next to him while he's sleeping).

Wright - thanks for the kind words on the design. I'll make you a deal, I'll design 'em and you build 'em. I'm absolutely terrible at building without help. It's one of the few things that my ADD seems to really affect. And, regarding the tongue weight, I'm just at 14% with the wheels 57" from the back edge. Of course, I expect it to weigh in at about 1400 lbs when done!

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby Flonker » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:12 pm

davidbyrum wrote:Hey GregB, that looks great!! I've been playing around with SketchUp but you have taken it to a a level I didn't know existed. Now that I have seen your drawings I may look at Sketchup a little closer.

Really like the design, has me thinking about ways to go back modify or remodel my trailer to get that look.

David

I glanced at SketchUp, but sure didn't like the $500 price tag. I also didn't like all the info they wanted out of me for the 8 hour demo they were willing to let me check out.

I'm gonna pass on this...
Flonker
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs