My Giant Teardrop build

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby Ivar the Red » Thu May 08, 2008 8:48 pm

ok here's a little preview
no...the Mustang is the neighbor's
the blank area in front is for the deck
this set-up is exactly 40 foot long
:thinking: :thumbsup:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby starleen2 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:52 pm

Looks good, but don't you think its awful thin on one side?? :lol: :lol:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby elmo » Thu May 08, 2008 8:58 pm

starleen2 wrote:Looks good, but don't you think its awful thin on one side?? :lol: :lol:

I don't think the duct tape will hold up on the freeway!! :thinking:

How much for the Mustang??? :)
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Thu May 08, 2008 8:59 pm

But who does the Pink Flamingo belong too???:thinking: :lol:

You got all that trailer, you should consider a standy. Getting dressed standing up is so much easier. Trust me.
Is that the correct location? With the wheels and all??

Regardless, I do like the profile. :thumbsup:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby elmo » Thu May 08, 2008 9:03 pm

Mary K wrote:But who does the Pink Flamingo belong too???:thinking: :lol:

I call dibs on the Flamingo!!!! I can't find any around here!
elmo
Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Thu May 08, 2008 9:25 pm

elmo wrote:

I saw it first. :fb

Okay, trade ya for the mustang. :D

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby elmo » Thu May 08, 2008 9:33 pm

Mary K wrote:
elmo wrote:

I saw it first. :fb

Okay, trade ya for the mustang. :D

Mk

But I called dibs first and the flamingo is a hood ordiment for the Mustang!!! Package deal!! Sorry!!

You can have the next pink flamigo! :thumbsup:
elmo
Donating Member

Postby Ivar the Red » Thu May 08, 2008 9:38 pm

ahhh a bunch of comedians. :lol:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Mary K » Thu May 08, 2008 9:48 pm

elmo wrote:But I called dibs first and the flamingo is a hood ordiment for the Mustang!!! Package deal!! Sorry!!

:x Sorry Nothing, I saw it first. It's mine and I'm am keeping it now! :twisted:

Ah,.....um...Sorry Ivar...You really did a cool job on the cardboard. :thumbsup: :oops: :oops:

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby elmo » Thu May 08, 2008 9:53 pm

Mary K wrote:
elmo wrote:But I called dibs first and the flamingo is a hood ordiment for the Mustang!!! Package deal!! Sorry!!

:x Sorry Nothing, I saw it first. It's mine and I'm am keeping it now! :twisted:

Ah,.....um...Sorry Ivar...You really did a cool job on the cardboard. :thumbsup: :oops: :oops:

Mk

But I said dibs first...it's like calling shotgun. If you call shotgun now you will have dibs in the first ride in the Mustang with the pink flamingo on the hood!! :roll:
elmo
Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Thu May 08, 2008 10:00 pm

elmo wrote:
Mary K wrote:

Mk

But I said dibs first...it's like calling shotgun. If you call shotgun now you will have dibs in the first ride in the Mustang with the pink flamingo on the hood!! :roll:

Go to Bed Elmo...Don't worry, I certainly wont be calling shotgun for that... :Oh Brother:

Now, this is a serious thread, no joking around. Ivar is actually going to build a trailer.

Mk :R ;)
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby satch » Thu May 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Mary K wrote:
elmo wrote:
Mary K wrote:

Mk

Go to Bed Elmo...Don't worry, I certainly wont be calling shotgun for that... :Oh Brother:

Now, this is a serious thread, no joking around. Ivar is actually going to build a trailer.

Mk :R ;)
A trailer is being built? Oh I'm sorry I thought this was "am I a thread killer" thread. :lol: Looks good Ivar. How long do you think it will take to frame? Don't worry about Elmo, I think he has a thing for ducks, not flamingos 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby bgordon » Fri May 09, 2008 2:35 am

Ivar,

Just a quick thought - with the cardboard profile as it is in your picture, the weight of the trailer is too much to the back without the toy at the front. So, if you will ALWAYS tow the trailer with the toy at the front, the overall tongue weight will be okay. But if you ever tow the trailer without the extra weight of the toy in front, you will definitely have some serious problems with fishtailing (because the heavier galley is at the back). And fishtailing on a highway is really no joke!

My suggestion is that you put the profile slightly forward. This will add slightly to your tongue weight, but if you have a tow car to match that monstrosity of a trailer, I think the added weight will be okay.

The placement of the axle with these toy haulers are always problematic. That's why so many people consider moveable axles on toy haulers (although very few have them)!

Anyway, good luck with the build. It certainly will be an interesting one!
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Fri May 09, 2008 5:07 am

bgordon wrote:Ivar,

Just a quick thought - with the cardboard profile as it is in your picture, the weight of the trailer is too much to the back without the toy at the front. So, if you will ALWAYS tow the trailer with the toy at the front, the overall tongue weight will be okay. But if you ever tow the trailer without the extra weight of the toy in front, you will definitely have some serious problems with fishtailing (because the heavier galley is at the back). And fishtailing on a highway is really no joke!

My suggestion is that you put the profile slightly forward. This will add slightly to your tongue weight, but if you have a tow car to match that monstrosity of a trailer, I think the added weight will be okay.

The placement of the axle with these toy haulers are always problematic. That's why so many people consider moveable axles on toy haulers (although very few have them)!

Anyway, good luck with the build. It certainly will be an interesting one!

I would disagree with this. It is a large heavy trailer with dual axles and the addition of the box (camper portion) on top is going to be very minimal weight. Add to that the fact that all of the storage is in the front of the camper area and will add most of the weight to the front when traveling, unless you do not have anything in there. Even then, I doubt that the weight will be shifted back that much. Just be sure and carry all of your cast iron stuff in the forward storage area. :)

Just my opinion, I am by far NOT an expert on this.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby bgordon » Fri May 09, 2008 5:18 am

According to Ivar's own plans (seen below) the trailer has a regular galley. That means that the galley is usually the heaviest portion of the trailer, and that is also why most teardrop trailer's wheels are further backward than 'regular' trailers.

I understand about the storage at the front. I suppose the question remains whether the galley will be heavier than the front storage, or vice versa. If the galley is heavier, then the profile needs to be moved forward. If the storage compartment up at the front is the heavier of the two, then I suppose toypusher's sugestion would be the better option.

My 2c worth....

Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs