Del's canned ham build

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby Ivar the Red » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:21 pm

del wrote:Well I have been to ace hardware and found this http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=43, yes I want yellow. del

Those directions sound pretty much the same as anything else I've seen.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby del » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:I generously used just a little less than a gallon. Now I don't have any use for the left overs, I could mail it to you, but I don't think that would go over to well. :lol:
Johnny thanks for the info, is it yellow? :thinking: :lol:

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:05 pm

I found metal primer for rusty metal here locally.

What does everyone think? This is for the frame.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Should work...is your frame going to be visible? I think mine will be seen, so I put in a little extra sanding and primeing for a smoother finish. That was only where the rust was a little heavier.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby del » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:36 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:Should work...is your frame going to be visible? I think mine will be seen, so I put in a little extra sanding and primeing for a smoother finish. That was only where the rust was a little heavier.

Visible, do not know yet (most likely will hang the wall down to hide at least some of it), other than the tongue it will be out for everyone to see. Also found the same brand of paint in safety yellow, so I think I know how it is going to turn out. Note to self make sure the tongue is sanded smooth.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:54 pm

Andrew in another thread posted a link to old caravans on his side of the pond. I had to look at them, just had to.
I do not care so much about the top, but I like the sides. Am I crazzzzzy?

del

del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:09 am

del wrote:I do not care so much about the top, but I like the sides. Am I crazzzzzy?

You need to bear in mind that this is done with aluminium sheet, so the sheets can be bent and twisted fairly easily. Making the 'rolled' top, bottom, front and rear edge panels with thin ply would be fairly easy, but those four corner edge panels (like where the top and front rolled edges meet) would be difficult to make with a smooth curve - it's likely they would look a lot less 'blended in' than on that SMV.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:19 pm

Does anyone know where a web cite is for SMV trailers?

del

Note; I have googled "SMV" and "SMV trailer"
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:36 pm

del wrote:Does anyone know where a web cite is for SMV trailers?

del

Note; I have googled "SMV" and "SMV trailer"

Del, try "SMV Caravan". I couldn't find the maker, but lots of responses.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby ATXKJ » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:48 pm

How about smv 1956 - appears to be Swedish?

http://medlem.spray.se/nostalgisida/SMV.htm
David
ATXKJ
Teardrop Advisor

Postby del » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:58 pm

Thanks guys, those ideas worked.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Hello again, it is me. Looking at many SMV photos I have decided I like the early profile.
But think the bulge of the later ones would have that different look I am looking for, and be simpler to build.
Question is how much bulge (in the side of the trailer body) do these trailers have?
I think this profile made by Andrew will work, after all the trailer is inspired by SMV.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Steve F » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:26 pm

Hmmm, build it with flat sides and roof, a bit of gas in it a throw in a match ;)

I do like the shape though.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby angib » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:44 am

I think if you want to build it in plywood, forget it. The four corners will need to be separate pieces and they will look a lot less smooth than in the SMV trailer - the end result won't look as good and the extra work is scary.

Incorporating either just the top and bottom curvature, or just the front and back curvature is quite doable and almost easy with your epoxy skills - it would be trying to combine both types of curvature that would give you nightmares.....

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:49 pm

angib wrote:I think if you want to build it in plywood, forget it. The four corners will need to be separate pieces and they will look a lot less smooth than in the SMV trailer - the end result won't look as good and the extra work is scary.

Incorporating either just the top and bottom curvature, or just the front and back curvature is quite doable and almost easy with your epoxy skills - it would be trying to combine both types of curvature that would give you nightmares.....

Andrew
What alternatives to ply are out there? Light weight, durable and inexpensive are all factors? The caravans (trailers) from the fifties do not appear to be as blended.
Seams are visible where the skin is put together. Triangle at that. My thoughts are to use the later bulge, because I believe it would be simpler, but still look different than anything most Americans have ever seen.

Looking at the pics I am assuming the wall is curved only near the edges, and flat towards the middle (now looking at the newer ones). Could I make the profile (section looking looking from the front, or back of the side wall) with an eclipse say with a major axis of 12", and a minor of 6" (the wall budges out 6" but takes 12" of up and down to do it)(having never seen a SMV in person, I am guessing here).

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs