Oh design gurus...

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Oh design gurus...

Postby Greg M » Wed May 09, 2007 10:34 pm

I'm thinking about scaling the design up of the Grasshopper to ten feet long and am having a hard time figuring out dimensions on my own. :?
Could one of you design/CAD gods drop a three inch grid on this profile photo of a Grasshopper with the overall length at ten feet.
Thanks a bunch.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Gage » Thu May 10, 2007 1:01 am

That Grasshopper is no longer around. Just a little trivia for you. :)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 10, 2007 2:59 am

Do you want the height to stay fixed, or grow with the length? You know if you let the height grow it becomes a sunline sunspot.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 226#207226

Mike...

P.S. Have you already seen this?

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Greg M » Thu May 10, 2007 3:37 pm

Gage: Yeah, I read that. Major bummer :(

Mike: I thought I'd keep it in proportion as much as possible, but not letting it get taller than five feet. I've seen those line drawings in your album, but the JPEG compression or something makes them almost impossible to read. Do you still have the full .dxf's?

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Gage » Thu May 10, 2007 4:07 pm

Greg M wrote:Gage: Yeah, I read that. Major bummer :(
-Greg

Greg, you also might want to watch linking into someone elses site to show a picture. A short note to Larry will keep him friendly. ;)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Greg M » Thu May 10, 2007 4:33 pm

Gage wrote:Greg, you also might want to watch linking into someone elses site to show a picture. A short note to Larry will keep him friendly. ;)

Good point Gage, I just sent him a note.

Thanks

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 10, 2007 5:49 pm

Hey Greg,

Here is the larger image... but be aware, this is something I did 4 years ago, I don't remember what is modified and what is original. but there should be enough dimensions to build the walls from. Have fun!

Mike...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Greg M » Thu May 10, 2007 6:31 pm

Thanks Mike!!

That gives me a great place to start from. I'll scan and post my P(encil)AD drawing for everyones comments soon.

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Greg M » Fri May 11, 2007 12:33 am

OK,

Here's the profile I've come up with. It's ten feet long, fifty-seven inches tall and is shown within a five by ten outline.

What do you guys think?

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 11, 2007 3:54 am

Looks good to me!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jdarkoregon » Sat May 12, 2007 12:27 am

Greg,

I'm liking the shape of the grasshopper more and more, what I personally am concerned with would be designing in more storage space in an organized way.

Right now you have a pretty big box for sleeping, or laying down.

IF, for example, you needed to hang out one night at a rest area? What you going to do with all the camping gear stored on the bed?

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Sat May 12, 2007 11:01 am

jdarkoregon wrote:Greg,

I'm liking the shape of the grasshopper more and more, what I personally am concerned with would be designing in more storage space in an organized way.

John

At this point I'm planning on an angled cabinet along the front wall that will double as a backrest for sitting, as well as a tongue box. I'd like to make the wall cabinet deeper as well, but I'm limited by the size of the windows that I salvaged from a scrapyard trailer.

There is also the fact that I'll be towing with a Dodge Caravan that might help with the big stuff :lol:

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Laredo » Sat May 12, 2007 2:31 pm

Hey, Mike ?
How different is this from an Aristocrat Lo-Liner?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 12, 2007 2:39 pm

It appears the lo-liner is a full sized trailer, albeit the shape is similar.

The grasshopper and the sunspot are both 5' high trailers, definitely in the "tiny" range.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Greg M » Sat May 12, 2007 4:11 pm

The Lo-liner looks like this: Image

Kinda similar shapes, but the Lo-liner is definitely taller and wider, and the galley is inside. I like them both though :D

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs