Communications Slide-In at Hamfest???

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Communications Slide-In at Hamfest???

Postby Jimbo » Sun May 20, 2007 8:41 pm

I went to the Dayton Hamfest on Friday and I saw something really cool that sparked my interest. I didn't have a camera with me to take pics but I thought I would find something on the net about it but so far, nothing. It was a small Jeep like pickup. In the back, there was a box that looked like a slide-in. Instead of a camper, it was basically a mobile ham shack. There were shelves around the walls for equipment and room for one or two to sit and operate. I didn't see any windows in it and there was only a single rear door. You couldn't stand in it since it was so short. It looked military (Green paint), maybe around WWII, Korea or Vietnam. When I saw it, I thought it was pretty slick and would be cool for my small pickup (Ford Ranger SB). I thought it might be cool for Field Day or for field operation in general. Looked pretty simple to build as a slide in even for a small pickup. Anyone have any info or pics of something like this?

For those Hams out there who didn't make it, Dayton, as always, was a blast. I had to leave on Friday since I got sick so I was only there one day this time. ;( There's always next year I guess. ;)
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby ARKPAT » Mon May 21, 2007 3:46 am

Jimbo
My friend was there this year. He knows I like trailers and the odd designs. Maybe he has some pictures of it I will ask. He always takes lots of pictures. I may catch up with him at HamCom. I will e-mail him about the slide-in HamShack. Very interesting idea!

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ARKPAT » Thu May 24, 2007 12:40 am

He found it Jimbo. It is from 2005 Dayton but I think it is the one you are refering too. :thumbsup:
Image It is a small thumbnail quad but I have the full size pictures downloaded. they are to big to download and post with great detail. I can send Mike full size pictures ( very good detail 7.2 meg pixel camera ).

:thinking: :thumbsup: :applause:

Thanks Ken !!!

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jimbo » Thu May 24, 2007 4:53 pm

Pat Hopkins wrote:He found it Jimbo. It is from 2005 Dayton but I think it is the one you are referring too. :thumbsup:
It is a small thumbnail quad but I have the full size pictures downloaded. they are to big to download and post with great detail. I can send Mike full size pictures ( very good detail 7.2 meg pixel camera ).

:thinking: :thumbsup: :applause:

Thanks Ken !!!

Pat

That's it!!! Thanks for the pics. Looks like the radio gear is just on the back wall or I guess in this case, it would be the front wall.
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby gdog » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:26 pm

It was probably a military 5/4 ton truck with a commo shelter on the back. The trucks did look like Jeep vehicles, I think they were made by AM General.
gdog
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs