5x8 Weekender

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

5x8 Weekender

Postby Jeeper92 » Wed May 23, 2007 11:35 am

I have seen that a few people have build their trialers out over the 4x8 hf trailer, is this safe. I want to do this. I jsut cant see spending 600 bucks for a 5 8 trailer when you can accomplish the same thing with a few pieces of 2x4. I love the profile of the weekender and I think it would look good behind my jeep. I was thinking of maybe painting it red like my jeep and using all chrome accesories on it. WHat do you all think?
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 23, 2007 12:23 pm

Why ya arfaid it'll turn over in a tight turn like this one !

How do ya like my free handrail frame. Found a squashed HF foldup on E-Bay for $75.00. The guy tried to load a #2000 bolder on it bent one frame section all to he##. Used only the axle and tongue and two section of old dock handrail a buddy gave me. I didn't know what I needed the handrail for at the time but I do now and it worked real slick. side to side frame is 5'3" exactly the width of the HF axle out of fender to out of fender. I think I finally got this picture thing figured out. I ll try and get a floor shot in the albumn a.s.a.p.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: 5x8 Weekender

Postby Joanne » Wed May 23, 2007 1:00 pm

Hey Jeeper,

I don't mean to sound flippant, but you can do pretty much anything you want regarding these trailers. As you pointed out, quite a few folks have built longer and wider than the 4x8 trailer bed. I have yet to hear any problems with this technique.

There are a couple of design considerations however. Building over the tires means that you will have wheelwells on the inside of the trailer to deal with. You also need to leave enough clearance between the trailer walls and the tire so you can remove the tire if you get a flat somewhere along the way. Lastly is the overall "look" you are trying to achieve. Will you like the look of having your tires inset under the trailer or would it look better to have them set on the outside?

Go forth and build!

Joanne

Jeeper92 wrote:I have seen that a few people have build their trialers out over the 4x8 hf trailer, is this safe. I want to do this. I jsut cant see spending 600 bucks for a 5 8 trailer when you can accomplish the same thing with a few pieces of 2x4. I love the profile of the weekender and I think it would look good behind my jeep. I was thinking of maybe painting it red like my jeep and using all chrome accesories on it. WHat do you all think?
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Re: 5x8 Weekender

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 23, 2007 1:59 pm

Joanne wrote:Hey Jeeper,

There are a couple of design considerations however. Building over the tires means that you will have wheelwells on the inside of the trailer to deal with.

like these little bumps

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby angib » Wed May 23, 2007 3:47 pm

I was just discussing something similar off-forum and up pops the same subject. Let me give you my view - and you may want to note that I'm not an expert teardrop builder, or indeed any sort of teardrop builder, but I am a former structural engineer.

The part of teardrop bodies that carry vertical loads is their walls - the two side ones, the front one if it's somewhere near vertical and the bulkhead between the cabin and the galley. It is the front wall and the galley bulkhead that hold up a body that overhangs the frame. The floor framing is just too floppy to carry much load, unless you make it 2x4 with the 4 vertical. People may have put big floor beams in trailers that overhang their frames, but that doesn't actually mean they're necessary.

George Teague's Compact GT is a very good demonstration of this - it has no floor framing at all and only some very small brackets on the side of the frame (that I believe do not make it much stronger). Here the front and back walls, which rest right over frame members, hold up all the trailer body.

I understand that everyone thinks that it's floors that hold things up (because often it's floors that hold humans up), but they are just like trampolines - it's the walls that hold up the floors. So make sure your walls connect to the frame and you'll be right.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Ok i SEE

Postby Jeeper92 » Wed May 23, 2007 8:57 pm

I dont think you are being flipant at all. I appreciate what everone is doing. I am just askign a bunch of questions becasue I dont like just jumping into things without know exactly where im going and how im gonna get there. I really dont like the look of the tires built under the trailer but i think that may be my only option at this point. I dont have the extra cash to throw ata 5'8 trailer. Im 6'5 and my wife is 5'10 so a 4x8 build is NOT an option. I love my wife but i cant have her laying on me all night (only part of it) hahah. I guess i just need to keep surfign and asking questions

thanks for all yoyu input , its greatly appreciated
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby Gambam » Thu May 24, 2007 8:12 am

not sure where you are, but if you have a Northern Tool within driving distance you should check out there 5x8. I wish I was closer to one, cause I would be re thinking my build.

I don't think building over the wheels is a big deal. Travel trailers have been built that way for years.

Look through the hall of fame, there are a few great builds that have used the HF 4x8 and built over the wheels.

This one is haow I am building mine, it gets rid of the "bumps" in the floor.
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... SC&start=0

This one is Not a HF frame, but this one give you more ideas.
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... er_id=1070
Last edited by Gambam on Thu May 24, 2007 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gambam
Donating Member

Postby Jeeper92 » Thu May 24, 2007 8:25 am

Yes I have seen Cubbys weekender and have been in contact with him. What are they asking for a 5x8 at northern tool? I can drive anywhere. I went to there site and i cant seem to find a price
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu May 24, 2007 9:32 am

Jeeper92 wrote:Yes I have seen Cubbys weekender and have been in contact with him. What are they asking for a 5x8 at northern tool? I can drive anywhere. I went to there site and i cant seem to find a price

WWW.NORTHERNTOOL.COM

in the search box type "125982"
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gambam » Thu May 24, 2007 9:47 am

Jeeper92 wrote:Yes I have seen Cubbys weekender and have been in contact with him. What are they asking for a 5x8 at northern tool? I can drive anywhere. I went to there site and i cant seem to find a price

here is a thread about it - sale $299 reg $319
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=15132
Gambam
Donating Member

Postby Kens » Thu May 24, 2007 9:59 am

I built over the wheels on a TSC 4x8 frame its worked out well. The inside width is 58". Runs down the road fine. The wheel wells insde are below your knees don't even notice.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

thanks guys

Postby Jeeper92 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:29 am

The money i would save would be offset by the shipping charges. Prolly gonna have to do the 5x8 on the 4x8 traielr. Its killing me cause i love the look of the tires outside, especially if they wereto match my jeep
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 25, 2007 5:43 am

Build it the way you really want... and when in doubt, look at my signature line...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Non-traditional Designs