My Teardrop Design.... Mind and Computer Latest Update

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

My Teardrop Design.... Mind and Computer Latest Update

Postby Davedbq » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:58 am

Hello Everyone,
Here is the next images of my teardrop design using Blender 3D. As in a previous submission this design has been on my mind for a number of years and is now in the design phase in my computer. I have 90% of the design worked out and what you see as far as the framework I could start building today. Still have to work out the fine details. As I said in an earlier post I am a designer for John Deere so my work experience helps a lot while tweaking my design for the teardrop. Looking more and more possible. Once again I would appreciate any comments. Enjoy the photos. :D Dave
Davedbq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby apratt » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:10 am

That is looking cool, but what would you use for skin. It is kinda hard to make plywood do compound curves. :thumbsup:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Teardrop Skin

Postby Davedbq » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:42 am

My design would be a composite of foam and fiberglass. The framework would be filled with foam sheeting and then the entire trailer would be coated with several layers of fiberglass. This would take some doing as you would still have to make the compound curves but with sanding the foam is able to do this much more readily than plywood. That and the fact that foam is a very easy material to shape. The inside could be either wood panels or it also could be glassed. With the foam in the teardrop it would insulate the trailer like a thermos bottle. It would either keep it warm or cool depending on the outside temperature. Take a look at my first posting of my design there are more photos there of the foam sheeting in place.
Davedbq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby apratt » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:54 am

Ok, yes with fiberglass and foam you can do any shape imaginable. Fiberglassing the outside is easy but doing the inside, I hate doing that in a confine places. I end up getting the resin all over me :lol:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi Dave, now that is one slick looking teardrop. I have often sketched some sort of round-cornered tear, but you hit it right on the button. I do hope you plan to build it. It looks lilke you have all of the construction problems ironed out, now it's just a matter of getting started. Good idea, great design and will surely be one of a kind. Wow.

Roly, looking forward to more pics. :applause:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Thanks for the kind words

Postby Davedbq » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:26 pm

Roly,
I have seen your trailer a couple of times online over the past few years. Your little trailer is quite an eye catcher too. I'm off to Oshkosh tomorrow to take a class in composite construction at the EAA convention. If it can work for an airplane it surely will work for a teardrop. Same process just a different shape. So it will be a big help to getting me one step closer to actually building my dream teardrop. :) Thanks for the kind comments about my design ideas. Dave
Davedbq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Elumia » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:52 pm

It would be cool to somehow celebrate the beauty of the skeleton you created.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby Wright » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:35 pm

Beautiful design... Man I need to invest in a CAD, to get all this stuff out of my head and into a viewable format... I can't wait to see more of your work... :thumbsup:
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Possible Plans in Future

Postby Davedbq » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:40 pm

With the amount of time and detail that I have put into this design over the past couple of years I have been toying with the idea of putting together a set of plans to the design once I have all the details worked out. I thought I could build the first one and then photograph the process to go along with a complete set of working drawings for the parts that would need to be made. Again something that comes naturally from my design work at John Deere. Love it when my work that is fun turns into more fun. Any interest for plans to my design?
Davedbq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby neal b » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:25 pm

hi davebq that is one fine design it would look great behind any tow vehicle get that project started i like it alot :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

neal b :D
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby SaGR » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:02 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh - My - Goodness! That's beautiful! You have to do that in JD Green and yellow! :lol:
Building a small bowtop Vardo
Build thread: http://tinyurl.com/yk4hnmd

Generic Benroy: Sold to FIL/MIL
SaGR
The 300 Club

Postby Bobgorilla » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:11 pm

SaGR wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh - My - Goodness! That's beautiful! You have to do that in JD Green and yellow! :lol:

:awesome: :applause: I'd like to second the green yellow idea but it's really neat, clean design so it will look good in nearly any color :thumbsup:
if you're not bleeding you're not really working
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby peggyearlchris » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:06 pm

:thumbsup: That design looks awesome. It would be beautiful in any color. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: Peg
peggyearlchris
500 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs