ultra lightweight floating popup camper

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

video

Postby coal_burner » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:54 am

O.K. that didn't work

try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDBqTJTE5m0

I also tried to capsize the trailer by standing on the wheel and leaning back pulling on the wall, then jerking and bouncing up and down like a crazed orangutan. Unfortunately the camcorder wasn't running.
:beer:
We may have philosophy and opposable thumbs, but most humans show all the wisdom of starved raccoons. It's amazing that more of us aren't found flattened on the side of our own roads.
the original bub build thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19227
coal_burner
Teardrop Advisor

Re: video

Postby Podunkfla » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:11 am

coal_burner wrote:O.K. that didn't work

try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDBqTJTE5m0

I also tried to capsize the trailer by standing on the wheel and leaning back pulling on the wall, then jerking and bouncing up and down like a crazed orangutan. Unfortunately the camcorder wasn't running.

Well... That was certainly different! :lol:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:59 am

Shouldn't be much competition for a camp spot with that!!!!
:roll:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:41 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Ok, I need one of these soooooooooooooooo badddddddddddd.

What a wonderful idea. :thumbsup:

BTW try that in Missouri this time of year. :R
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Micro469 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:39 pm

You might want to think of putting a fold up deck on the sides so you can walk outside of it while on the lake.....
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

floating deck

Postby coal_burner » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:58 am

I am looking at putting A fold out deck on the back of the camper. It would be 5 Ft. wide (just like the camper) and about 4Ft long (just big enough for A couple of lawn chairs. My floating firepit would probably be A 3 Ft wide floating steel bowl, held away from the flammable foam and fiberglass deck by A couple of 3 Ft. long steel rods.
Having The deck (dock?) mounted ridgidly to the rear of the camper would really help with my bouyancy C of G issues.
I injured my shoulder A couple of weeks ago. The next part of my build is the lifting mechanism. The sling that my arm is in keeps me from using both of my hands to repeatedly lift and lower the top to work out the mechanics of the mechanism, so progress is A little slow at the moment.
This does give me more time to daydream about additions like the deck and firepit, and to work out my other arm.

Things that I have learned are reeaaalllly hard to do one handed.

1- manually lift to top of A popup camper
2- rake leaves
3- hang christmas lights from your roof
4- dishes
5- carry the laundry basket up stairs
6- hammer A nail
7- bench press
8- just about everything my day job has asked of me over the last couple of weeks.
We may have philosophy and opposable thumbs, but most humans show all the wisdom of starved raccoons. It's amazing that more of us aren't found flattened on the side of our own roads.
coal_burner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:04 pm

At least you have a reason for not working on the tear. I'm still stuck in the daydreaming mode and haven't gotten off my lazy arse to start my build.

By the way, could you provide a newb some info on fiberglass construction? I am thinking about using epoxy and glass over foam but have concerns about delamination. Did you remove the plastic film from the insulation? Also, did you "prime" the foam with epoxy before adding the glass and wetting it out?

Thanks for your advice.
Last edited by aggie79 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby jeep_bluetj » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:10 pm

What were you planning on doing for the poptop mechanism?

Air springs? Cables?

Are you going to syncronize them? Cables I'd assume would essentially be syncronized via a jack-screw or winch.
-- Jeff --
jeep_bluetj
Teardrop Master

Postby Tear Dreamer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:24 pm

This is very interesting! Is the fiberglass technique very expensive? Can you give an idea of what this project has cost you to date? I am curious to see what the difference would be doing this method compared to plywood.

Thanks

P.S.

That is cost minus beer!
Tear Dreamer
Teardrop Builder

i'm back

Postby coal_burner » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:06 pm

After A long winter of 75 hour work weeks with no camper progress made, I'm going to start work again where i can. I'm still working 55 hours a week so progress may be sporadic, but bear with me.
coal_burner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Joe G » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:14 pm

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you may not be the first to build one of these. You may be the first to build a portable floating campsite though. I found a picture of an amphibious tent trailer built in the '60's.

They were built to be towed by an Amphicar.

Cool project. I can't wait to see how it turns out! :thumbsup:
Joe G
500 Club

3 1/4 x 6

Postby coal_burner » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:12 am

After giving the garage a spring cleaning yesterday, i was able to get a little work done on the B.U.B. (Big Ugly Box).
I epoxied on a 3 1/4" by 6" foamed over fiberglass block to make the final structural connection holding my cap together. (i said a little work)

this is a side view of the bub. the bottom frame around the window cutouts are actually the 6" that i cut off the top of the base of the camper (previous post). Wetting out fiberglass around tight corners is a pain, so i decided to recycle them. The 3 x 6 block in the first picture is where the 2 recycled pieces are now joined.
once i put a layer of fiberglass over that joint, the top will be structurally stable enough for me to take the top off and start fiberglassing the inside.

On a separate note: the metal fabricator that had the equipment to bend an offset into 2x2x3/8 square steel tube for a new tongue went out of business. Now i have to find another tongue strategy.

Here's another pic of the front of the trailer before the newest addition was epoxied into place (broomstick duct taped on to keep things from sagging too much).

Two more beers worth of work completed.
:guzzle:[/img]
coal_burner
Teardrop Advisor

proposed tongue

Postby coal_burner » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:14 am

Here is the picture of my tongue i'm going to fax over to the steel fabricator.

I'm going to run some bolts through the steel plates to attach it to the bottom of my deck. The 5" offset is going to be located as close to the front of the camper as possible to help with low ground clearance issues. I know that that is also the most stressed area of the tongue. Does anyone know if 3/18" is a large enough wall thickness with the welds located there (unknown weld efficiency)?

heres a (blurry) pic of the inside of the camper (1/8 raised) taken through the back door. the futon back is currently what is holding it up.

drawings done at work. no beers
:(
coal_burner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mini Renegade » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:42 am

Over here in the 70`s`s a company started selling a trailer called a caraboat which was a full size trailer with the back that folded down to form a rear deck, similar to your idea. This is a link for the early ones, the later that ones folded up the rear arent pictured though.
http://www.caraboat.com/main.php
If evvr tha dus owt fr nowt, allus do it fr thissen
Mini Renegade
500 Club

Postby Mini Renegade » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Mini Renegade wrote:Over here in the 70`s`s a company started selling a trailer called a caraboat which was a full size trailer with the back that folded down to form a rear deck, similar to your idea. This is a link for the early ones, the later that ones folded up the rear arent pictured though.
http://www.caraboat.com/main.php

After never seeing one in the flesh, I turned a corner today to see a familiar looking handrail over the top of a hedge, after a quick u turn I was looking at a caraboat mk1 in a driveway, will try and get a pic.
If evvr tha dus owt fr nowt, allus do it fr thissen
Mini Renegade
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs