Dog trailer for motorcycle?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Dog trailer for motorcycle?

Postby shoeman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Don't hit delete yet.. I'm asking for a friend that is going to help me weld my tear up in a few weeks. He wants to build a small trailer to tow behind a motorcycle that will haul his two dogs. We figure the basics of teardrop construction would provide some guidelines.
Anybody here ever attempt anything like this? The mechanics of the hitch are different, but we can figure that out. Spring rates, travel, that kind of thing will be the biggest questions once we establish the basic dimensions and loaded weight.
I think he's nuts, but to each his own!

Thanks,
Geoff
99% of the way done with a Generic Benroy. Only because these might never be done if you like to tinker. But it's on the road!
shoeman
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:29 pm

Perfectly sensible (said with hand covering mouth to hide sniggering....).

Here's a whole page of motorcycle dog trailers:
http://www.wagstrailers.com/testimonials.asp

and a guy's conversion (love the dog's windscreen!):
http://motorcycletrailer.com/mag1/uct1review.html

I think the trick would be to get a light enough spring so that the suspension of the trailer is reasonably soft - shaking your bedroll to pieces isn't a problem, but it's bad for your dog.

Flexiride do half-axles that go down to 425lb/pair capacity which is the lightest I've seen:
http://www.etrailerpart.com/halftorsionaxles.htm

Camp-Inn Cary's rule of thumb is that you hit the sweet spot on torsion axles a little over half their rated load, so these would suit a 250lb trailer, but that's still probably heavier than you want behind a motorcycle.

Harbor Freight go down to a 860lb capacity 40"x49" and it looks like it has multi-leaf slipper springs so you could take out all but one leaf to make the suspension softer. You probably want a rotating coupler, but $130 for the frame and wheels seems quite a good deal even if you throw away the axle.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=42708

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby swissarmygirl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:40 pm

I seem to remember a thread about a very similar topic. :thinking:
If I remember correctly, it turned, uh, less than pretty.
Staying outta this one.
:angel: :whistle: :MLAS
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby shoeman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks Andrew, that's a big help!

Geoff
99% of the way done with a Generic Benroy. Only because these might never be done if you like to tinker. But it's on the road!
shoeman
Teardrop Master

Postby Wos » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:23 pm

I tow a small trailer with my bike. I used a pair of slipper springs which were rated at 1000lb/pair before I removed the extra spring (two leaves originally now only the main leaf) estimate at around 450 lbs. still to stiff but workable. I used a normal ball and hitch and haven't overtravelled it yet. I do plan on working out a swiveling hitch sometime but I'm in no rush to do so.

Two problems I see with this project.
1. The trailer will be sitting in the bikes exhaust all the time so measures have to be taken to cause the gasses to move away from the animal and suitable fresh air to be taken in. Exhaust noise may be a problem. I travelled with a guy with open pipes on a yamaha twin and after a couple hours I had to move back 1/8 mile to prevent a worsening headache.
2. spring rates and damping have to be just right or the dogs may be bounced too hard or become car sick. perhaps using the rear shocks from a small motorcycle with several mounting points and angles (to allow for tuning) could be used.
Wos
Teardrop Builder

Postby Leon » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:43 pm

Using motorcycle tires will help the ride because the bigger diameter will ride over a lot of stuff that a small tire will drop into.

How about this setup :shock: :?
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:50 am

angib wrote:Perfectly sensible (said with hand covering mouth to hide sniggering....).

I think the trick would be to get a light enough spring so that the suspension of the trailer is reasonably soft - shaking your bedroll to pieces isn't a problem, but it's bad for your dog.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=42708

Andrew

That's what Eggbert sits on. I pull with a 1200 Goldwing.
Had to extend the tongue 2' to finally get the handling
tamed down. It's a utility trailer so ride was not an
issue besides my Scottie " Sadie rides in the
pannier box I just take the lid off and safety clip her inside.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

and for scooters....?

Postby bradknox » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:58 am

Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of internet searching to find a trailer for my Yamaha Vino 125cc scooter that can carry a dog around. Bicycle trailers aren't tough enough to more than about 15mph, and motorcycle trailers are all overkill and usually as much as I paid for the scooter itself.

So I'm thinking of building one. Can you guys recommend a good base for a scooter trailer, similar to the 40" x 49" on recommended here but smaller and lighter? I'd be happy with something that can go 30 or 40 mph. Any higher is unnecessary. Also, any other general advice on the construction or whatever would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
bradknox
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:32 am

Rotating couplers harsh ride bad handling can easily be forgotten get a highway rated sprung caster and make a single wheel trailer. Looks like a wheelbarrow being pulled backwards. My grandfather was the family mister fixit and towed one with all his tools when visiting the kids. He wore out 3 -4 cars but the little trailer served on dutifully.

http://www.singlewheel.com/

Here's some info I tripped over on the net

YA GOTTA CHECK OUT THE ATLAS a one wheel teardrop
Last edited by bobhenry on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:55 am

these are some of the shots from the site above

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:59 am

This design was my personal favorite

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

the last one

Postby moreforles » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:52 pm

for when you need to use your motorcycle as a grocery getter.......
moreforles
Teardrop Master

Return to Non-traditional Designs