New TTT plan: small push-out.

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

New TTT plan: small push-out.

Postby jmullan99 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:52 pm

My first post. I have laid out a plan for a TTT that will be similar to a pickup slide in unit, without the cabover bunk.

This unit will sit on a 5x8 utility trailer. The trailer has 16inch side walls, and the unit will overhang the sides by about 1 foot each side.

As is, it will not comfortably sleep anyone. What I would like to do is build a 30" tall by 6' long "push out" to help with sleeping space. When extended, it will have two legs to help support any weight.

I attached my layout plan. I hope it is self explanatory. This is my first Tiny Travel Trailer attempt.

Now my question: does anyone have any experience making a push-out? Any sketches of construction technique?

jmullan99
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi jmullan99,

Welcome to the forum...

I know Charles has built a slide out...
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... ateardrop/

dplock also has a slide out...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... ide#304185

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jmullan99 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:53 pm

mikeschn wrote:Hi jmullan99,

Welcome to the forum...

I know Charles has built a slide out...
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... ateardrop/

dplock also has a slide out...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... ide#304185

Mike...

Wow! Those are very inspirational. In fact, gave me a whole other design route. I spent 2 days reading the forums and didn't see this.

I would like to see how the pipe/slide bit works (pipe in a pipe?). But that won't slow me down on the re-construct.

Now I will adjust my drawing (and experiment with Sketchup) and see what I come up with.

Thanks Mike!
jmullan99
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:04 pm

:D
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

slide suggestion

Postby plbecker » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:16 pm

Find someone who is tearing down a pop up and get the slide mechanism. It is very sturdy! I have 2 sets, if you live near me you can have one. I live in Upper Sandusky Ohio. :)
plbecker
Teardrop Inspector

Re: slide suggestion

Postby jmullan99 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:33 am

plbecker wrote:Find someone who is tearing down a pop up and get the slide mechanism. It is very sturdy! I have 2 sets, if you live near me you can have one. I live in Upper Sandusky Ohio. :)

Very generous offer. However, I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario. I probably won't make the trip. Also, I've changed my first project, perhaps significantly.

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a TTT (no sleeping accommodations). It is more like a galley/toilet/power in a box designed to sit atop my utility trailer. It is to have storage for the tents, water, propane, batteries and small generator.

Note that there would be a large flip-up door covering the galley. The pop-up top over the toilet area gives head room. Check my album for a couple more pics. I have already done the bottom 8" false floor to accomodate plumbing and whatever else.

I have yet to work out just how I should seal up pop-up portion while in the extended position. I was thinking to use those rubber swipes normally put on the bottom of doors, in the inverted position. But any other ideas are definitely welcomed.

John
jmullan99
Teardrop Builder

Postby angib » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:44 am

jmullan99 wrote:I have yet to work out just how I should seal up pop-up portion while in the extended position. I was thinking to use those rubber swipes normally put on the bottom of doors, in the inverted position. But any other ideas are definitely welcomed.

I think trying to seal an internal sliding pop-up is a lost cause - it's almost impossible to come up with a seal that isn't lying in/under water and all will dump some water inside when being lowered.

So, as you're not sleeping underneath, I'd suggest making arrangements to drain out the small amount of water that will get in - perhaps a little gutter fitted on the bottom of the pop-up that drains through a small plastic hose through the floor?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby schaney » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:11 pm

:thinking: sounds like a "chuck wagon" or a big Explorer Box without the tent.

How important is the pop-up toilet room? Using one of those 4'x4' toilet / shower tents instead would simplify your design.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby jmullan99 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:46 pm

angib wrote:I think trying to seal an internal sliding pop-up is a lost cause - it's almost impossible to come up with a seal that isn't lying in/under water and all will dump some water inside when being lowered.

So, as you're not sleeping underneath, I'd suggest making arrangements to drain out the small amount of water that will get in - perhaps a little gutter fitted on the bottom of the pop-up that drains through a small plastic hose through the floor?

Andrew

You are probably correct. I have planned to minimize the infiltration. Here is a quick/crude cut-away of how I plan to fabricate.

The 2x2 on the main roof (light blue) will have butyl tape or other sealer under it. The arc on top represents those door sweep things. While that may not guarantee water tightness, my thinking is it will keep out quite a bit. Since the interior is a toilet room anyway, it's innards will be water friendly.
jmullan99
Teardrop Builder

slider suggestion

Postby plbecker » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:51 pm

Since you like slides, make the galley slide out of the way to give you more room in the box. It would be very functional. The Galley seems to sit a bit high in the mockup. :thinking:

I too, am building a trailer on a trailer. My first idea was too big. So, now I'm down to 5x8 stake sided trailer. Multitasker: haul debris, haul wood, teardrop topper. Best of luck to you!
plbecker
Teardrop Inspector

Re: slider suggestion

Postby jmullan99 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:57 am

plbecker wrote:Since you like slides, make the galley slide out of the way to give you more room in the box. It would be very functional. The Galley seems to sit a bit high in the mockup. :thinking:

I too, am building a trailer on a trailer. My first idea was too big. So, now I'm down to 5x8 stake sided trailer. Multitasker: haul debris, haul wood, teardrop topper. Best of luck to you!

Yes, the counter top on the galley portion sits almost 35". The sides of the utility trailer do not come off. So I have to clear that. So I only have about 3-4" to play with. The sink (most small ones) is 5" deep, so a slide out galley won't clear unless I make it even higher.

John
jmullan99
Teardrop Builder

Postby navigator » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:43 am

For a non-sleep-in trailer, have you looked at...

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=21053&highlight=
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby navigator » Sat May 31, 2008 3:09 pm

My trailer has lift-up sides like your design, also with three hinges. On our last camping trip, it came to my attention that I need to install a gutter to stop the rain from running toward the hinges, and dripping/pouring onto whatever is below. A simple aluminum angle screwed to the top of the door will do. Those doors make great funnels; hadn't thought of that till it was a problem!

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby jmullan99 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:11 pm

Yes. I have been giving a lot of thought to preventing water infiltration at the hinged edges. One possibility is a rubber "hinge" along the entire edge, with some small aluminum edge along each side for finish look. I am drawing a blank for any other idea at the moment.

I am "cheaping" out somewhat, to the point that I will have to keep up with painting and caulking every year or two. This project was not meant to suck up too many dollars at one go.

After I use this for a while, I will start on my next one and gain from the experience. And I will try to make it so there is sleeping quarters as well. :thumbsup:
jmullan99
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 31, 2008 6:15 pm

It looks like too much work... all that setup and what not...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs