Compact III weight question

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Compact III weight question

Postby s_helberg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:02 pm

I'm very interested in Andrew's design and really appreciate the free plans. My question is about the weight of this trailer. I have a 2002 Mazda Protege wagon, 4 cylinder. The plan overview says the original Compact was about 1000 lbs ready to go. Is the Compact III close to 1000 lbs and would my Mazda be able to pull it? Any input would be great. Thanks.
s_helberg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:40 pm

I suspect Andrew will be along shortly!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:49 pm

Sorry, no, definitely not. I haven't done a detailed weight estimate for the Compact 3 but I did do one for the Compact 2 and the differences between the two are slight.

The unladen weight estimate was 1,560 lb and the laden estimate was 2,170 lb (with a full 28 gal water tank), so it's nowhere near your Mazda's tow limits.

Part of the difference is due to the Compact 3 having a double skin ply construction, where the originals were single-skin fiberglass.

But another part of the difference may be due to manufacturers back then happily quoting weights that they never actually achieved in practice, so that folks with small tow vehicles weren't put off buying their trailers! The first photo on my Compact web page is from the first manufacturers brochure and shows a Datsun 510 tow vehicle....

The Compact 3 could be built lighter if the construction was switched to single-skin and some of the interior were simplified, but it's never going to get the laden weight near to 1,000 lb.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby s_helberg » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:29 pm

Bummer. I have tracked down my estimated towing capacity. It's around 1200 or 1300 lbs. Mazda doesn't really specify it. I think I might play around with a smaller version on maybe a HF trailer. Do you know what the outside dimension is of the HF axle with the wheels on - total width outside of wheel to outside of wheel?

Here's another idea I have been kicking around. I'm really hung up on tandems.

Thanks for the info.
Steve

s_helberg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brian_bp » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:42 pm

s_helberg wrote:Here's another idea I have been kicking around. I'm really hung up on tandems.

If weight is a concern - and certainly seems to be - tandems are a bad thing to be hung up on. For any given total load capacity, a tandem will certainly be heavier than a single axle. I think that there are a few other reasons to not want a tandem, but perhaps the weight alone should be enough to avoid the extra axle.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby planovet » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:00 pm

angib wrote:The unladen weight estimate was 1,560 lb and the laden estimate was 2,170 lb

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? (sorry to hijack but it's not everyday you see the word "unladen")
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby starleen2 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:05 pm

planovet wrote:
angib wrote:The unladen weight estimate was 1,560 lb and the laden estimate was 2,170 lb

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? (sorry to hijack but it's not everyday you see the word "unladen")

African or English???
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby planovet » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:37 pm

starleen2 wrote:African or English???

Huh? I... I don't know that. [Auuuuuuuugh....as he is thrown over]
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby s_helberg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:13 pm

True. Weight is a concern for a small trailer and small towing vehicle. But should it be? I have always liked the looks of the larger tandem campers. To me they just look right because that's what I mainly saw when I was growing up. Don't understand me wrong - I am in no way talking down about the teardrops. The teardrops and this forum has really peaked my interest.

Getting back to the weight question. On a HF trailer, a second set of 12" wheels, 2 more springs, 1 more axle, and extra hardware will only a about 80 lbs of unspring weight. That amount of weight is something to think about.
s_helberg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:20 pm

We like the tandems too...and how much extra weight could we haul with the extra wheels?? ...our Jayco FS has tandems and is about 3500lbs... stable too..
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:03 pm

s_helberg wrote:On a HF trailer, a second set of 12" wheels, 2 more springs, 1 more axle, and extra hardware will only a about 80 lbs of unspring weight.

And also take up the space where the doors would go...... :thinking:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby s_helberg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:50 pm

angib wrote:And also take up the space where the doors would go...... :thinking:

Andrew

That's whats unique about the compact. The door is in the back.
s_helberg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby s_helberg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:59 pm

...I hit the wrong button too quick...

I realize the longer wheel wells take up valuable interior space. But I'm thinking if I limit the interior width to around 60" and maybe extend the overall length by 8" or 10" I can get some of the interior space back.

I have to say the compact design is fun to play with.

Steve
s_helberg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby s_helberg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:09 pm

Question for GPW: Does a tandem trailer tow better or smoother than a single axle?

I have never towed a single axle trailer so I really can't say or compare the two. I have a 16' tandem car hauler that I tow with a full size GMC pickup. It tows really smooth loaded and unloaded. Is it because it's a heavy trailer or because it's a tandem? I really don't know. Any thoughts out there?

Steve
s_helberg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:07 am

Steve , I don't really notice much difference in the tandem or single axle ... both tow pretty smooth ...But the tandem does seem to spread the weight out so it seems more stable when you're inside... might be my imagination , cause I have level jacks for both... another benefit may be the Center of Gravity(balance) is not so critical...
Then there is the nice thing of having a built on spare tire ,...just in case... :roll: a little extra insurance...
Being an old guy, I never tow anything more than 50 mph anyway , so any tow problem is greatly lessened.. I just leave early ,and enjoy the drive... :thumbsup:
Been towing boat trailers all my life , never any problems , tandem or single , but we do make sure all our trailers are well maintained mechanically...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs