The Ultra Mega Tear

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

The Ultra Mega Tear

Postby brob » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:36 pm

Thought I would bounce this one off the experts here...

So far, the design parameters are:

Sleeping myself + mrs, 4 kids (2 boys 2 girls)
The mrs has fallen in love with the rear galley idea, which is a bonus 'cuz I like it too.

To this point, its just a rough idea, since construction will take place in my outdoor workshop.

The tow vehicle is my trusty Dakota, with 5000 tow rating give or take a few. The platform for this used to be a 21' travel trailer. I could handle its mass just fine, but the aero profile was a different story.

I'm not currently planning on appliances, although mama will probably campaign for A/C. The closet in the above pic could be used for a porta potty, as the little one is 5. I did salvage some of the items from the camper prior to demo, so who knows what will develop.

My hats off to the creative folks here, I interested on your comment/thoughts.
brob
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ivar the Red » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:15 pm

Ohhh...I don't know...maybe there have been a few ideas like yours kicked around here...
:D
Last edited by Ivar the Red on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:29 pm

Here's my own idea...
It looks like this is a clear case of great minds thinking alike. :lol:
You can check out my album...mainly pages 5-7, 11-12 and 15-17, and take a look at my Build Thread for more advise and ideas. Due to monetary problems...my build has stalled out for now, but more power to you and welcome to the thread!!!!

P.S. I like to talk alot but if you weed through all the BS I might can help you. :lol:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby brian_bp » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:58 pm

This looks to me like an interesting project, and a perfectly workable floorplan.

Some constructive comments:

Even with no appliances, when all the stuff is packed in the galley my guess is that the mass distribution will mean that the axles (placed for the travel trailer layout) will be too far forward. I suggest using the Trailer Balance worksheet in the Design Library to check this out, and keeping in mind that those axles might need to move.

If all the stuff is carried in the galley and under the front bunk, the result will be heavy on the ends, which is bad for stability (and for the frame structure, but I'm guessing that's not a concern).

At 21' tandem axles are very common in travel trailers, but if this comes out as a lightweight setup (no appliances?) there may be too much suspension stiffness and a whole extra axle for the new configuration.

How tall is this? If it has standing headroom inside, it's hard to see how it will be aerodynamically any different from the original travel trailer; if it is lower (meaning crouching inside), then I can see an advantage.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby brob » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Good point about axle stiffness. Hadn't thought of that yet.
My intent was for a 4' to 5' interior height.
brob
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jdarkoregon » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Build it, take every answer to your question with a grain of Wit. There are lots of good ideas here and there will be several good answers to your questions.

Remember, the project will be a ball to do,

John

PS, GO Really light, you'll be surprised at how strong/stiff the end result will be
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Return to Non-traditional Designs