Teardrop toyhauler?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Teardrop toyhauler?

Postby confyushus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Hey everyone! This my first post but I have been lurking here for a couple months. Get ready, because this might be a long post.

I like to travel as well as ride dirtbikes, and once a year I drive out to Glamis, CA (I live in SC) to ride the sand dunes for a week over thanksgiving. I have an ambulance right now that I was using as an rv but with diesel/gas prices so high, I need something smaller to stay in but also can carry my bike. This last year I drove my delsol out and pulled my 4x8 HF trailer and slept in the trailer with a tarp over the top for the week. This got me on the idea of a small camper, I stumbled across teardrops and loved it! I saw the little rascal first but with the price so high I searched and found this great site and decided to build my own!

So here is my big question to everyone here, has anyone built a toyhauler teardrop? I really like the looks of the grasshopper style, but I would be open to almost anything. I would like to keep the bike inside during travel (it can stay outside once I get there) as I am really paranoid about someone stealing it when I stop to sleep, but if I had to a sideways rack across the rear would work. I would like to use the HF trailer as I love mine and don't totally trust my welding enough yet to build a trailer. I want to keep it as aerodynamic and light as possible to save fuel plus it will be pulled by my delsol some of the time and a 4runner the other times. I want it hardsided and insulated because anyone that has slept in a tent in glamis at thanksgiving knows, at night it is very cold, very loud and at times very windy. The other stuff I want such as batteries, solar panels, bedding, etc I can figure out, mostly because of all the posts I have read on here. Oh, and I guess its worth saying that it will be offroad for some of its life, not hardcore, just dirt roads and sand, but I think the trailer can deal with that

I am really excited to start building, but I am trying to get a good solid plan started before I buy anything. I am open to all suggestions and ideas. I know I am asking for a lot, but I don't like the normal everyday stuff, if everyone has one, it is boring and uninteresting! Thanks!!
confyushus
Teardrop Inspector

Teardrop toy hauler?

Postby Retro » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a teardrop toy hauler for a couple of motorcycles, too. I like to go to vintage motorcycle races & events. Would luv to roll up with my teardrop, open the back & roll out a couple of my old bikes! 8) I am very surprised that a manufacturer has not designed one especially as popular as the big toy haulers are. :roll: Just open it up, roll in the bikes. When you get to camp, roll them out & set up camp. The bikes are left out a night & you have your camper. Sounds easy to me. If anyone know of a teardrop toy hauler, please let me know.

Thanx Much!
Retro
Retro
Teardrop Inspector

Postby elmo_4_vt » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:00 pm

That's a great idea and where I started from. However, I think part of the problem is that to fit a bike, the trailer has to be at least 5.5' tall, a dirt-bike will likely require a full 6' of interior height. By the time you get a door/ramp frame at the rear of the trailer, the opening is about 6" less than the trailer height. My KLR is just under 5' tall at the top of the windshield.

I've started a build based off of a cargo trailer. Not quite as small or cute as a teardrop, but it was the smallest I could make work fitting the bike.

Don
Truck: '96 Ford Bronco, Modified for off-road stuff

Trailer in progress: Not a tear drop exactly, sort of a mut of a couple different designs.
elmo_4_vt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dreadcptflint » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:54 am

The coolest one that I have seen was a couple of years back. A guy in Spokane took a Harley Hauler trailer and built around it in a modified Kampmaster style. I wish I kept the pictures of it as it was a smart design for a good sized toy hauler.

Matt
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby confyushus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:35 am

I saw the one that "little guy campers" makes, it was ok, but I didn't want all the weight from my bike/s on the tongue. On the trip out to CA, I loaded everything so I had around 50ish pounds on the hitch and it pulled beautifully without sagging the back of my car too much. I measured my 450 real quick the other night and the top of the bars sat right about 4'6" (and my streetbike is even shorter), so I am thinking that 5', give or take a few inches, should be close to right with insulation and everything. It doesn't have to be roomy, just tall enough to roll a bike in. I had a riding buddy that used a chevy astro and would run a strap from the bars to the front axle to lower it a few inches before rolling it in, so that thought has been going through my mind to lower the roof height some more, probably won't bother, but it's an idea.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I am really getting excited about starting on it! And again, if you have any ideas, comments, or concerns, feel free to let me know, I would rather run into a problem in the planning stage than in the building stage.
confyushus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aaron Coffee » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:01 pm

I had played with the idea, and for my Honda Shadow 750, I figured just under 5 foot, I would have to crouch down loading it. I had also thought of building a 6 inch trough down the middle of the trailer to give me that much more room. Haven't done much more . Weighed my bike and my scooter(which I have since sold)and played with the weight in the design library(trailer balance). The big head scratcher for me was how to regain the structural rigidity I would lose by not having a galley wall, as I was thinking on having no galley. I have also thought of a cargo conversion.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:25 am

Somebody posted something on e-bay from a site called www.desertteardrops.com that I found interesting. Might fit your needs?

They built a convertible type teardrop that doubled as a bike trailer...

-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby angib » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Here's some photos I saved from somewhere - the EXIF data on the photos says they are from 2005.

The way the middle of the galley is filled in after unloading is clever, as is the use of a deep false floor so that your bed doesn't share the floor with the motorcycle tyres. I don't remember what suspension system was used to make the trailer go up and down.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Re: Teardrop toyhauler?

Postby DRYVEM » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:37 am

Angib, if you can remember where you got these pics from or who made this trailer, it would be much appreciated. I found one of the original cabin frames in friends yard. Martin
Barbara
Proud owner of a 2010 Martin Built Teardrop
DRYVEM
Lifetime member

Postby HometownHockeyFan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:44 pm

I had similar requirements, but ended up taking a different approach. For me the ability to carry my motorcycles, have a kitchen and storage...was more important then the sleeping...so here is what I came up with.

It is more or less a teardrop reversed on the front, shortened to accommodate the open 'toy hauler' in the back. Toughest part was designing the tongue so it could retract under the trailer when not towing so it was not in the way of the kitchen. Trailer without the tongue is 12'6" x 5'.

I may use a tent designed for the truckbed for sleeping...but, I don't mind using a tent if I have everything else in the trailer.

I have pictures in my gallery of progress so far. (Working on the trailer deck now...just finished painting the trailer last weekend)

Good luck in your search...

David
HometownHockeyFan
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm going to soon build my first toyhauler model based on my standard styling of my microcamper with the cabin up front and the long back deck 6 to 8' of trailer to haul bikes and atvs on externally not within the camper to prevent any gas odors within the cabin. Once unloaded the rear trailer becomes the party deck behind the camper for hot social hours to ensue until packed and leaving. Don't think I can pull one off with a single axle trailer but I'm game to try it eventually. I'm going to build the first one on a standard 16 or 18' car hauler trailer and will price around 12kish.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby confyushus » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Wow, it has been a while since I have been here, new site even! I really like all the pics and responses everyone has posted. I have been busy and haven't had much chance to start building my camper recently, but I would like to start soon. My thinking for right now is to make a grasshopper style with a lift up rear door and the ceiling will be just high enough to fit my crf, I want to keep it as low and light as possible. The "galley" area will basically just be boards that I can slide into slots on the walls once my bike is out, not the greatest, but will work great for making sammiches in the desert. I will just store my mattress along the wall while the bike is in and after its out I can lay the mattress down and sleep. Now, a couple questions, Aaron mentioned a loss in rigidity from no galley wall, is this a major issue or will I be ok with a little extra bracing towards the rear? Will having a flat rear on the trailer majorly affect wind resistance and therefore MPGs? Thanks everyone for the help and the motivation!
confyushus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bajaTripper » Mon May 14, 2012 9:49 pm

I'm building one now for my vintage TL125. ( Actually building 2 more )The entire galley is removable, the lid fits into a T and becomes structural when closed, limiting flex and there is a box beam across the rear floor also adding . stability. Box beam also houses plumbing and wiring. More pics soon.

edited cuz i just read the rules :)
bajaTripper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby synaps3 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Whatcha ride? I love my KTM:

If my fiancee hadn't wanted a standie, I would have built a drive-on-top toy hauler / teardrop trailer to haul our scooters with on vacation. I lost the sketchup, but the basic concept is this:

The sketchup drawing I had made used the HF trailer, and had trays to carry 2 scooters on the top (made the drawing before I dirt biked).

Alternatively, you could build a conventional teardrop slightly moved back on the HF frame, with a platform on the front of the trailer for your bike. Think like the Little Guy 5' Platform:
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby vaddisonme » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Utilitoy makes a really cool camper/toy hauler with a solid aluminum frame. It has a curved composite top that is translucent and can be hosed out. Their website is not very well developed, but the trailer looks great and can be pulled by a 4cylinder car. They have a YouTube video showing them driving various motorcycles into the trailer. I corresponded some with the owner/creater of utilitoy and it seems like a really great product. Ran about $8500 with A/C.
Instead I ended up going with a smaller little aluminum trailer called a Car-go lite, because I wanted to pull a lower-profile trailer. They also make a bigger one that would hold more "toys" called a Car-go lite Extreme, but here's a picture of my little trailer to be..
cargo five.jpg
cargo five.jpg (11.31 KiB) Viewed 48398 times
This is the actual one I am buying. It would have to be a pretty small motorcyle to fit inside, but a little regular bike would fit! :D
Attachments
small cargo two pic.jpg
small cargo two pic.jpg (11.76 KiB) Viewed 48398 times
The Marshmallow pulling our Sweet Potato.
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs