Help with plans for a weekender/squared 4x8 camper?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Help with plans for a weekender/squared 4x8 camper?

Postby Jeeper917 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:59 pm

Hi all, I am new to the site and love all of it. I am recently introduced to mini trailers, and have been a tent camper forever, but want to try my hand at building a camper to tote behind my jeep. I have searched and searched for some plans to make a squared off camper for my 4x8 harbor freight trailer. I am wondering if anyone has or knows where I can get ahold of some simple plans with a simple galley and empty interior. I have found some nice drawings on this site but no plans other than the rounded ones, which I have no faith in my skills to create round things out of flat wood. :NC I would even like designs for a camper that extends over the wheels for extra interior space, if there's any chance for that...So, here I am, thanks for any help.
Dana
Jeeper917
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:28 pm

hey Jeeper...welcome to the board...we can probably help ya...
have you checked out Andrew's site
or maybe Joanne's Desert Dawg
or how about Mike's weekender
as you can see there are lotssa ways to go, so just keep on lookin' and when you are good and ready we will be here to help ya out...and like I tell all...take lottsa pics...'cause we luv da pics
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby angib » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:33 pm

Dana, you might want to look at my Simple design:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:35 pm

Hey Jeeper,

Welcome to the forum...

I think perhaps you are just scaring yourself... rounded designs are not that hard... Check out my generic benroy thread...

But if you really have your eye on a squared off design, a couple come to mind... the Weekender...

http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender

there's probably enough detail there to get started...

You could also do the rugged... but you are pretty much on your own for that one...

And then there is this new concept...

What do you think?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jeeper917 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:33 pm

Hi all, thank you for your replies so far. I am exited to build. I am in NC so it wont be long before I can start, I have to do it all outside. Mike I really like your weekender, but really am interested in the shape and design of the second pic you posted of the camo camper. That is almost exactly what I want to build. The third concept is very cool too, where did those two designs come from? Andrew the simple is cool but I like the idea of a slight incline on the back too. I bet it could be modified? *nevermind I just looked at the pdf of the simple with the inclined back and it is very much what I wanted. Thanks!*I will definitely take lots of pics and post them as I go along. I have plans to paint it the same as my jeep and use my leftover jeep fender flares on the trailer, hopefully it will look as cool as I think it will.

Off subject, how many other female camper builders are in this forum? 8)
Dana
Last edited by Jeeper917 on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeeper917
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:44 pm

Dana welcome to the madness. Yes the pics.... Some of us learn and understand by pics.
Mike the last pic is rather interesting. What kinda deminsions approx. would that be. :thinking:
Not trying to thread hijack srry. :oops:
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:10 pm

Dana...there are quite a few, some are building their own and some are actively helping their other half...don't have an actual count but they are around and active, so you are not alone...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Joanne » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:57 pm

Jeeper917 wrote:
Off subject, how many other female camper builders are in this forum? 8)
Dana

Dana, welcome to the insanity! :thumbsup:

There are a few of us around. I'm one of the ones who is building her own trailer. Your reason to build "square" is the same reason I decided to. In the end I'm not sure it makes that much difference. There are a number of plans for the traditional shapes. I can't wait to see your plans & build pictures!

I have a lot of build pictures on my website.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Jeeper917 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:21 pm

Hi Joanne, Actually, I found this forum from your website, I was looking up the trailers and campers on google one day and came across yours and went to the forum link when I got to the end of your pictures. Very nice camper you have, is it fineshed?, and the front of the camper with the long window is exactly what I put on my drawings. Well, it will be me and a friend building this, :) I have some fun ideas for the interior too, I will definitely share all photos with the forum members, from start to finish!
Dana
Jeeper917
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SmokeyBob » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:09 am

Dana
Welcome to the forum. If you want square, check out my album. Not very fancy but it's square, almost.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Jeeper917 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:31 am

Hi Bob, thank you! and great pictures, looks like a roomy camper. This is motivating me more!
Dana
Jeeper917
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:44 am

Dana,

That last picture is something called a MiniBago... if you do a search on mini bago you'll find our discussion and also a full sized cardboard mockup of it.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:23 am

Mike, Did Greg ever build that? Maybe his marketing skills were not what he thought they were.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby weasel » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:51 am

Dana, welcome to the site. I'm gonna build the '' Weekender'' I like the design and will fit my needs. I'm buildin'the frame from scratch. A H/F frame may be the best for you. I hope to get started soon. Have fun and enjoy the board!!!! Weasel
weasel
Donating Member

Mad Marketing Skills

Postby GregB » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:33 pm

HAH! I got mad skills! What I ain't got is a plethora of cash at the moment. Boy, you turn your back for a second and they're at your throat like a pack of starving wolves! ;)
Dana, you can see more shots of the MiniBago at my profile and I'd be happy to share my design efforts (such as they are) with dimensions. I'll have to dredge up my drawings and scan them but I WILL BUILD THE MINIBAGO, uhh, eventually. Building the carboard prototype was very helpful and suprisingly easy to do. Be advised that we all approach our trailers with biases and mine are these:
I want to tow it behind a Jeep. So it will be rectangular rather than curved.
It must have at least a queen-sized bed in it.
It needs storage for dusty items. I don't want them on the bed.
I like the three-window front look.

If you like these deisgns also look at Rik Keller's Road Toad. I coerced him into letting me take a look at it on my last trip to Sacto (stupid cat) and it is impressive.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs