MiniBago interior cutaway

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

MiniBago interior cutaway

Postby GregB » Tue May 30, 2006 10:35 am

Well, those (both of you) who may have been following the mini-saga of the minibago can look at some cutaway drawings of the interior. I'm having a blast with Sketchup, though I'm still very much a novice.
Anyway, from the back to front; the galley is 2' deep by 5'3" wide with an opening underneath the back wall for the cooler to slide in lengthwise. The upper cabinets extend into the 1' deep utility (batteries, water, etc.) cabinet which will have access from the driver side. The upper storage unit over the foot of the bed has doors that open on both sides for storing wet and muddy gear.
Hey Mike, we oughta' have an area to post .SKP files :D along with components, huh?

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby davidbyrum » Tue May 30, 2006 12:38 pm

Hey GregB, that looks great!! I've been playing around with SketchUp but you have taken it to a a level I didn't know existed. Now that I have seen your drawings I may look at Sketchup a little closer.

Really like the design, has me thinking about ways to go back modify or remodel my trailer to get that look.

David
Photos of my build at:

http://davidbyrum.blogspot.com
davidbyrum
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dee Bee » Wed May 31, 2006 12:06 pm

Nice design work!

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Greg M » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:21 am

Hey GregB

What are the overall dimensions, and are you using an off the shelf trailer?

-Greg (M) :)
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby GregB » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:05 am

Thanks all,

I've settled on 63" wide and roughly 120" long. I'm building on a stretched (114" long) version of a HF #1740 trailer. The width dimension has been limited so it won't hang too far over the wheels and look really ugly. I was going to make it 69" wide but scaled it back when I saw how goofy it looked.

I have to admit I'm still somewhat uneasy about the profile. I would like to build a design that looks more traditional, but I love the "bay window" effect up front. Every profile with a curved top I've done that includes the bay looks like a helmet! I have found that experimenting in Sketchup has been very helpful to visualize potential changes.

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:37 am

Greg, do you have a front view you can post?
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby GregB » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:24 pm

Here you go.
GregB
500 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:21 pm

Thanks.

In pic three at the top, what are the dimensions form the foot to the head of the sleeping area? I thought at first the foreward slant at the front of the Minibago would be uncomfortable, but I see it could be an added benefit by having a natural "reclining" area to watch TV, sit up or prop some pillows.

Anyway, I like your design as I've stated in other posts and again, keep us posted! I think I'll be downloading "Sketchup" as well. It's free, right?
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby GregB » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:34 pm

That is exactly why I reclined that section. I want to be able to sit up comfortably. I'm even working on a folding support to raise the knees like a chaise lounge so I can sit comfortably for longer periods of time. The sleeping space is 84" long on the level bottom, so there should be plenty of room.

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:48 am

Greg,

Are you planning for any extra suspension, skid plates or reinforcements on the undercarriage?
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby GregB » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:20 pm

Nah,
I don't think I'll be doing any hard core off-roading in it. I just need it to go on some forest service roads. It has 17" clearance to the bottom of the frame, so approach and take-off angles should be more than adequate. I've actually considered going axle over suspension to drop the body 2 more inches. I'd like to have the kitchen countertop a little lower.

GB
GregB
500 Club

MiniBago

Postby Rev. Ken » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:56 pm

Hi Greg, That trailer looks good, but i don't think I could pull it with my littel prius. My big truck uses too much gas to go very far.
Have a Blessed day.
Rev. Ken
Rev. Ken
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jagular7 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:41 pm

Greg,

Still looks great. I really like the 'upper garage' storage for the outdoor items. What do you have planned for the empty space above the wheelwells to the garage? Have you thought of open cabinets for clothes, pillows, blankets?
Which way is the access to that front storage box?
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby GregB » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:02 pm

Mike,

The "attic" will smack me in the head if I try to reach open shelves all the way down there by my feet. I want to use it for either slide out battery storage, or water tank or space for the A/C. I h'ain't decided yet. I may just use it as a closet! Put a hanging bar and voila', shirts that aren't wrinkled.

The front storage box will be split so I can access it from both the inside and the outside.

GB
GregB
500 Club

Re: MiniBago interior cutaway

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:58 pm

GregB wrote:Hey Mike, we oughta' have an area to post .SKP files :D along with components, huh?

GB

Well Greg,

If you think there is enough interest, I could see if I can figure out a way...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs