Tom & Shelly's build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Tom & Shelly's build

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:23 pm

We installed our 11 lb propane tank on the Cabin Fever. Boy, that was a learning experience, which, as we all know, means I made a lot of mistakes! :fb

168927 168928

First, the tank bracket is mounted on a scrap piece of 3/4 inch plywood that I rounded over, glassed, and painted with Rustoleum Hammer Finish. First mistake was using a rattle can primer that we had a few of. The reason we had them in the first place was that we used it on our floor, after the epoxy and before the silver Rustoleum Hammer finish or sand finish. In both cases, it turns out the primer doesn't really adhere to the epoxy all that well, and is brittle for quite awhile after application. I'd forgotten all that, of course, or I wouldn't have used it here. :x

Then, with much trepidation, I drilled the 6 holes through the tear into the utility compartment for the bolts mounting the plywood. :shock: Guess I didn't measure right, and caused minor damage to the safety light junction box (repaired with more epoxy) and I had a bolt dangerously close to the cable coming from the tow vehicle. Fixed that by remounting the junction box on stand-offs about 5/8 of an inch away from the wall.

Oh, the plywood is actually about a half inch from the front of the tear, held away by washers. That wasn't part of the original plan, but was done to let any rainwater that got trapped between the two run right out. I wanted to caulk, but Shelly suggested the spacing, and I couldn't think of a good reason not to, at the time. Now, I'm wondering if having the board mounted right to the face of the tear wouldn't be stronger, which my intuition says is so, but my one semester of mechanical engineering can't confirm. I guess we'll see this Summer if it's strong enough.

I did use Butyl tape around the bolts, so hopefully they'll be water-proof despite the leading edge winds.

Oh, I mounted the tank bracket to the plywood using stainless bolts into stainless T-nuts held with ten year old red Loctite. First, as I discovered later, Loctite has a shelf life measured in months. However, it may be good enough, as I couldn't get the bolts out after discovering this, and also realizing I hadn't quite water-proofed the wood around them with more epoxy as I'd originally planned. It may be that the Loctite worked anyway; but more likely, I was meeting resistance from the stainless-stainless interface between the bolts and nuts. :duh

All-in-all, I'm thinking I may redo the mount next Winter! :thinking:

Anyway, we explored having several propane vendors, and other experienced folks (balloonists mostly), custom make our gas connections, but finally discovered it was cheaper (both senses of the term, probably) to buy the parts from the high quality Chinese companies represented on Amazon.

We couldn't find the 10 foot 4 inch hose we needed, so settled for a 12 foot gas hose with steel braided outer cover, that we ran under the tear

I added some scrap wood blocks (epoxied for water-proofness) screwed and glued with epoxy to our floor, so the hose wouldn't rub against the cross braces in the trailer frame. I off-set the blocks to take up the extra length of the hose.

Found a reasonably good place to mount the quick-connect.

That's held there by another wood block and a piece of 3/16 inch aluminum. I used U bolts around some of the joints into the aluminum to hold it firmly.

In my investigations, :question: I learned that while bar-be-ques have regulators with pressures of less than 1/2 PSI, camp stove regulators are in the 15 to 27 PSI range. That means the quick connects one finds on Amazon aren't rated for what we're doing :duh: So I ordered a higher pressure quick connect from a propane vendor in Texas.

Since the hose that we got for cheap has 3/8 inch flange connectors, we needed some converters for 1/4 inch NPT. We also needed some gender changers here and there. Once we had all the parts figured out, and in hand, we tried using yellow teflon tape to make the junctions all gas tight. Knowing better than buying $8/bottle "gas leak test fluid" from Amazon, we mixed up some soapy water and tested. What a disaster! :shock: Bubbles everywhere!

Ok, first thing, NEVER USE TAPE OR PIPE DOPE ON 3/8 INCH FLANGE CONNECTORS! I know that now.

We ended up taking our parts to our own propane dealer who gladly doped them together for us free. (We also filled the tank on the same trip, not so free.) We didn't bother to test it there, as he said he was "almost certain" it wouldn't leak. When we got home, we only found two leaks.

The first one was our fault, we were talking to him as he worked, and he missed a joint entirely. The other leak was at the regulator. We decided the hardware store was closer than the gas supplier, and we saw what he did with pipe dope, so we figured we could do the same. That fixed the first joint, but after two tries we were convinced one of us had deformed the regulator to the point where we were in deep. At that point we took it back to the propane dealer, who wasn't as worried as we were. After apologizing for not testing it on premises, he tried a different pipe dope and screwed it on tighter. Now it works fine! :thumbsup:

So, after all was done, I tested the stove and it actually works!

I also timed how long it takes once the main tank is turned off, for the propane to burn out, and I think I could heat a cup of coffee in the interim.

But anyway, I think we're ready for some field testing. But if you hear a loud explosion somewhere near 4-corners, it may not be a Russian nuke. (We are alerting NORAD of same--wouldn't want to start an accidental war or anything!)

Think our next mod will be safer: We bought a coffee maker for camps with shore power, and I want to install it on a pull out drawer in the galley (assuming we live so long.)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:22 pm

Wow!! Perseverance! Nice..... your story sounds like many of my days. As said in the Marigold Hotel "everything will be okay in the end... and if it's not, it's not yet the end". Glad all came together for you.

When my day comes to get one of those fancy pants Partner Stoves I'd like to set up a quick "connect / disconnect" like you have.... so I'll have to get back with you on how you set your's up.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:04 pm

Capebuild wrote:Wow!! Perseverance! Nice..... your story sounds like many of my days. As said in the Marigold Hotel "everything will be okay in the end... and if it's not, it's not yet the end". Glad all came together for you.

Wonder if Fernando Sabino ever built a teardrop? :lol:

Capebuild wrote:When my day comes to get one of those fancy pants Partner Stoves I'd like to set up a quick "connect / disconnect" like you have.... so I'll have to get back with you on how you set your's up.

John

No problem John. I bought our high pressure connect at Tejas Smokers. Having trouble now finding the items on the web page, but they are part numbers: 104HP507 for the female side (mounted to the tear) and 401HP111 for the male side (on the Cook partner hose). Tejas Smokers number is (713) 222-0077. I actually e-mailed them and corresponded with Jesus, who verified our connection train was right.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:21 pm

Last year we screwed two hooks into the inside of our galley, strung a bungie cord between them, and hung our paper towels. Decided to go a little higher class this year and bought a fancy holder. That covered the hole from one hook, but left the other exposed and ugly just above eye level.

We were thinking about what to do to cover it, when we realized one of those aerosol fire extinguishers would fit real well there

I knew what I wanted to hold it, but didn't know what they are called. Some places call them "spring clamps" but there is another clamp entirely that also goes by that name. Several marine places called smaller versions boat hook clamps, for reasons obvious even to this land-lubber. Finally found what we needed for the 2 5/8" diameter can. Here is the link in case anyone is interested

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096YPWTY9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I'm real pleased with them: holds the can tight enough that I'm confident it won't fall out on a bumpy road, but a strong tug will bring it out in an emergency. A real nice complement to our homemade propane set-up! :o

When Shelly has time, she's planning to make a canvas case to hold a first aid kit that will snap in immediately to the left of the fire extinguisher. The case will open to the side so the kit won't fall out regardless of whether the hatch is open or closed. We already have a first aid kit in the truck, but with Shelly, you can't have too many band-aids! (Hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that! Maybe I'll need the next one! :O )

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby orourkmw » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:37 pm

I haven’t even thought about a fire extinguisher! Great idea for the clamp.
Mike
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri May 13, 2022 4:30 pm

Last year we had an issue with water from the air conditioner running into the utility compartment, instead of out the drain tube through the floor. (This was in the Midwest and Northeast where the atmosphere actually contains water molecules floating around! Not like here in New Mexico!)

Not sure whether it leaked out around the hose, or came from another part of the AC, so I decided to redesign the base to make it a hollow piece of plywood surrounding the AC box, epoxy that and the utility room floor where it will sit, use gasket material in between, and just let the water go where it wants to until it evaporates or finds the drain hole out the floor.

169116 169117

Did this out in the garage, where I can (and did) close the doors and let the patient cure in 85-90 degree temperatures. Should be ready to do the other side of the plywood tomorrow.

I'd've just glued the plywood to the floor (using epoxy), but the plywood needs to be bolted to the bottom of the AC, so it will essentially become part of that unit.

Just finished the job and was getting out my camera to take pictures when a DC-10 Fire Tanker flew over

Sure am glad they're on the job! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat May 14, 2022 1:17 pm

We decided we stay at enough places with shore power that it'll be worth taking a coffee maker with us this Summer. So I made a platform to hold it in our galley

We'll use some sort of strap to hold the carafe in. The platform is on drawer slides so we can pull it out to fill it

Also added the first aid kit. Shelly put snaps on the hatch wall and in the back of the kit, so it can be ripped from the hatch when needed.

The hatch still closes fine, but I think the soft sided kit may rub against the coffee maker. Time will tell if that becomes a problem.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby bdosborn » Sun May 15, 2022 8:33 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:169124
We'll use some sort of strap to hold the carafe in.

Rok Straps are nice for things like that. The buckle makes it easy to take off.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu May 19, 2022 3:05 pm

We're making final preps for our trip back East in two weeks. Last year, our AC leaked water, even though it has a drain pipe and I ran a hose out the bottom. Not sure if the water was leaking around it, or coming from another part of the box. So I rebuilt the base from the two sticks to a hollow piece of plywood that surrounds all of the holes where the water may be coming from

169210 169211 169212

The base attaches to the AC box at the bottom, then the whole thing is screwed into the utility compartment floor.

Made a gasket from material bought at an auto parts store to seal against the epoxied floor in our utility compartment. Used some quarter inch foam from a Harbor Fright floor mat to cushion the AC against vibration from the tear (and vice versa). Mounted it back in, then remembered I had to be careful of the strut from the front access door.

I moved the AC back a quarter inch (as shown in the picture) and re-drilled the 8 screw holes. I figure the 8 dud holes are covered by the gasket, so they're probably okay.

With the AC re-installed our tear is ready in case we have to evacuate due to wild fires. If that happens, we'll start our trip early!

Last year, we had a nice spice rack in the galley, but all we ever used was salt and pepper, and since we were using a sub-optimal spice jar for the salt, in the humid northeast we had trouble with sticky salt residue. So we bought more appropriate (we hope) salt and pepper shakers, and I rebuilt the spice rack to accommodate

Now we get to pick three, so I hope we don't suddenly need marjoram for anything! :thumbsup:

While I did that, Shelly tested out our new mosquito netting (for under the Eazy-Up), and water-proofed the Eazy_Up seams

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby cjlangellier » Thu May 19, 2022 4:01 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote: ...While I did that, Shelly tested out our new mosquito netting (for under the Eazy-Up), and water-proofed the Eazy_Up seams...

We added the netting to our Eazy-Up for our camping trip last weekend. It was a great addition! Worked great and was far cheaper than buying a new enclosed screen tent.
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73740
6x12 Cargo Trailer/Ice Shanty/Toy Hauler
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73743
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Sat May 21, 2022 9:38 am

We made a pot of coffee with just the battery & inverter, to test the battery & galley systems when our build was nearly done. Once was enough on that one!

When you do the math, an 800 watt (110 volt) coffee maker will draw about 66 amps for the time the coffee is brewing at 12 volts. This doesn't cover the added loss from inverting the power, extra juice on top of the current drain for parasitic drag. That's quite a load on a group 27 battery. It worked, but I'm not going to do that again, ever! The cables to the inverter were very short, but they were getting hot when the coffee was done. The battery was drawn down a lot in just 20 minutes.

The inverter finally crapped out during our travels (a cheap Chinese 2,000 watt unit) & has since been replaced with a good, smaller 400 watt model that just runs the grinder & odds & ends, not the pot. We have the generator & shore power, but now we typically use the battery for "normal" things (stereo, lights, DVD player, fan, etc.) & coffee is made with an old percolator type on the stove top, while the cinnamon rolls are baking...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Mon May 23, 2022 1:17 am

noseoil wrote:...coffee is made with an old percolator type on the stove top, while the cinnamon rolls are baking...

This, of course, is the only correct method.
:coffee:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat May 28, 2022 1:51 pm

Went through the list I'd made last Fall of mods to make on the teardrop before our Summer trip, and realized I'd missed an easy one. Previously, the controller for our AC/electric heater was too low on the headboard. Made a quick fix and mounted it higher

Had to mount it on a wedge so it actually sits over the output duct. We will see if the contortions necessary to operate it now are better than the contortions necessary in the past. I didn't want to drill a new hole in the bulkhead just yet, so ran the cord down to the old controller position. It's a decor style I call "ugly but functional", much like Shelly's husband.

We've arranged with friends to come in next week and house-sit for the Summer, so I guess we're committed. With gas prices what they are, maybe we should be! :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:22 pm

Including our long return home (New Mexico) from Upstate New York, we logged a total of 75 nights in the teardrop for 2022, or 20.5% of the year. Last year it was 53 nights, 14.5% of 2021. We took fewer trips this year, but they were longer.

About two weeks seems to be my limit for really enjoying the experience, but we'll have to stretch that by quite a bit if we ever get to seeing the far ends of the continent! (Especially the Northern ends.)

With the colder weather, I've noticed our hatch struts are not as strong, and occasionally wind even blew the hatch down. I was worried about the struts permanently losing their strength, but experience and the interwebs have tentatively convinced me this is normal. Anyone else have any experience with this? If so, thank you in advance for any insights!

On the day we left to return, I was checking the strut strength at just freezing temperatures in Upstate New York, with the tear parked at a slight angle. There was frost on the hinge, but I didn't notice the hatch had slid about a quarter inch, until, while closing it, I heard a sickening crunching sound.

I should be able to fix this, if I can ever get the hatch in a place where it's warm enough for epoxy to cure. Doesn't seem to affect the integrity of the water/dust seal thank goodness. I should also, I suppose, read up on the ways folks here have put in screws to keep the hinge from sliding.

While inspecting the teardrop that morning, I also noticed another problem, possibly more serious. This crack is in the front right corner

I believe water managed to get into the wood, and it expanded, possibly freezing, and it was enough to split the fiberglass over it. Frankly, I'm not quite sure what to do about this. It seems like I might have to cut out a small portion and see if the wood is rotting. Or, I could glass over it all, and hope for the best. Any ideas?

Unfortunately, anything I do will likely have to be in a cold non-electric garage this winter or wait until we get back to New York, where I'll have to pick a sunny day outdoors.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby bdosborn » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:20 pm

Doh! I hate it when things like that happen. :x
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals