Cedar 6x10 Ledge Vardo

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Cedar 6x10 Ledge Vardo

Postby Trip42 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:05 pm

Completed(*almost) build pictures!!! You probably thought this project disappeared? Nope, I just dragged it out. I finished the exterior in 2020 and then let it sit until 2022 when I punched out the rest including the interior build out, axle replacement, registration, etc. I'm happy with how it turned out, definitely a bigger project than I initially realized. Check out my pictures and feel free to ask questions and I'll try and answer them timelier than I finished my vardo

Exterior overview as completed

Rear wall detail showing the cedar shake wall with dutch door, fold down porch, porch light and installed driving lights. Turn signals and license plate are on the underside of the porch as well as storage for my portable solar panels

Interior looking forward: On the left is the galley with foot pump operated sink going from a jug to jug under the counter. Forward is the dinette area with fold up table. His and hers 30" deep drawers for clothes. Additional storage for knicknacks under bench seats. The bed slides out to cover dinette which was the only way to get all the features on my ~6x10' footprint. The right side has additional counter work space, underneath is the slide out cooler (absent in this picture). Just right of the picture is an open hanging closet and underneath, a drawer space for dry food goods.

Interior looking rearwards: more detail of the galley, shows the closet partition wall with light on left. On right is my Cubic Mini(Cub) wood stove and wood storage rack.

Night time view with lights on and bed pulled out and made up

Additional exterior view of the side profile: I made a gutter out of 3/4"? copper pipe by cutting out a slot on top. I found with just a bit of grinding that this size copper pipe can work with Steeltek pipe fittings limitedly available at my local Lowes. This side also has eye bolts to tie off the canvas awning seen in my second pictures. My total weight loaded is about 3500# so I needed to update the axle system to add trailer brakes. I ended up going with a Timbren, 4" drop spindle, axel-less system which so far seems to have been a pretty good choice and almost worth the 4.5 month delay getting the parts in. I was able to reuse the original steel fenders. I have since added a spare tire up front.

Here is some more detail of the sink. I lucked upon this brass sink at my local Restore and that started a solid brass trend I more or less followed throughout the interior. I managed to sort a working faucet out of hardware store brass nipples and bits.

The wife agrees that camping is quite pleasant on a wet October day with a fire going and a hot drink in bed

My dogs love the unique opportunity to get up on the bed, but only in the morning and with clean paws
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:40 pm

I am very impressed. Really good design well built. Congrats!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:26 pm

:o Awesome build! Well thought out and absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing. :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pchast » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:28 pm

Very nice work!
I'm also impressed.
Enjoy it as often as you can. :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:23 am

I like the use of wood & paint inside. It really brings out the warmth of the wood & keeps it light & bright inside. Beautifully done from start to finish.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Onajourney » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:43 am

This is a beautiful build! What kind of wood is the countertops?
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby Trip42 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:54 am

I don't actually know what the wood type is for sure as I repurposed some built in furniture top I found at restore. It kinda looks like alder to me, its a hardwood but not the heaviest
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Cedar 6x10 Ledge Vardo

Postby Paintsalot » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:28 am

Looks fantastic!
How did you make the arched ribs at the ceiling? Are they bent/steamed or laminated strips?
Are ceiling boards cedar?
I’m contemplating building some kind of a Vardo but I have 1000 pound tow limit.
It may have to be short and small or tent sides.
I’ve posted a few ideas about a fold down Vardo. Inspired by this: https://tinyhousetalk.com/modern-bicycl ... psy-wagon/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paintsalot
Teardrop Advisor

Postby chopperwalker » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:41 pm

That is a beautiful build. It looks super cozy and useable.

Assuming it doesn't have toilet as when your wife took the photo with her coffee mug it seems she caught you in woods.
chopperwalker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Trip42 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:15 pm

@Paintsalot, I've got some pictures previous in this journal showing my method for laminating the strips. 8x1/4" cedar strips for a true 2x2" cross section. My ceiling boards are t&g cedar. I like the idea of a very light build and I made attempts to scrub weight where I could but also wanted it to be sturdy and stay together for many years...

@chopperwalker, yup no toilet. I already noticed me in the distance but I don't think the camera caught me on this occasion at least, I'm probably out walking the dogs around a bit :)
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BLTillson » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:17 pm

:thumbsup: Wonderful build. Love the angles and the details on the woodworking. I love to see what comes out of the imagination of the Teardrop community. I have to stay away from other build logs just to keep from being inspired to change the design I have been working on for so long now. :thinking:

Happy travels!
~BLT~

Δοξάστε τον Θεό από τον οποίο πηγάζουν όλες οι ευλογίεςt
BLTillson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dan [Sac] » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:45 pm

That's a beauty. Well done all-around, I love it.
The Easter Egg - build thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75230
Dan [Sac]
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ottsville » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:04 pm

Beautiful! Incredible workmanship!
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals