M116A3 Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: M116A3 Build

Postby bdosborn » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:22 am

In my mind, which option you use comes down to your battery protection philosophy. if there is a problem and you want the BMS to completely isolate everything from the battery then it should be the first device - option #1. The issue I have with this approach is that it disconnects your metering; the first thing I'm going to do if the BMS operates is check the battery voltage and you can't when when the meter is disconnected. Also, your metering will be off a little bit as the shunt wont include the load of the BMS. I don't think it's terribly risky to have the low draw of a Victron shunt connected to the battery if the BMS operates so I use option #2.

Option 1
    Pros: BMS opening completely isolates the battery.
    Cons: Battery metering is disconnected when the BMS opens. Battery metering is off a little as it doesn't include the BMS load.

Option 2
    Pros: Meter works if BMS opens. BMS is included in battery metering.
    Cons: Small load of the meter is still connected to the battery if BMS opens.

So pick yer poison, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Option #1 is probably the most conservative (safe) approach.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:06 pm

bdosborne,

Well said! :applause:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:42 pm

Thanks dude! :thumbsup:
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:08 pm

Updated wiring diagrams. Note that switches and mega fuses have been replaced by breakers. Also solar panels now have breakers so they can be isolated. The BMS and the Battery Monitor have been swapped so that the battery monitor is the last device before the battery on the negative side.

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:45 am

Looks good, the only thing you might add is the case ground for the PV controllers and the battery charger. I almost forgot to install the ground on my PV controller because I didn't draw it on my one-line either.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:58 pm

bdosborn wrote:Looks good, the only thing you might add is the case ground for the PV controllers and the battery charger. I almost forgot to install the ground on my PV controller because I didn't draw it on my one-line either.
Bruce

Hi Bruce, thanks for that idea. Larger Victron solar charge controllers have ground screws, but not the smaller 75/15 units I'm using.

P.S. That 30 amp switch to the right of the roof panel controller is going to get replaced with some proper double pole 15A DC circuit breakers when I do my electrical upgrade.
Last edited by lfhoward on Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:16 pm

I had mentioned that I wanted an HDMI touchscreen for my Venus system to be able to monitor and control everything on the trailer without having to go into my phone. I got a little 5 inch Waveshare touchscreen that should do the job really well. The one I got: https://www.waveshare.com/5inch-HDMI-LCD-B.htm) Today I made a protective mount for it, which I can screw into the closet wall from behind after cutting out a rectangle for the screen.

The closet wall is 1/4 inch thick, which will make the screen flush or slightly recessed once installed. The mount protects the circuitry on the back of the touchscreen from being bumped when taking things in and out of the closet, and also lets the unit breathe.

The back of the touchscreen has a manual switch I can throw to turn the backlight off, and I made an access hole for that in the back of the mount. Turning off the backlight is something the Venus system may not be able to do with HDMI, so I specifically chose this unit for its low power consumption and the ability to turn it off manually.

And, just because I'm curious, I hooked the monitor up to another Raspberry Pi I have in my basement that is running Ubuntu, and the screen works perfectly. The touch function does too. I am hoping this easy compatibility translates over to the Venus OS in my trailer also.

I know Kevin Windrim (the author of GUI Mods) has a touchscreen app for the Venus OS as well. Here is the GitHub page for that: https://github.com/kwindrem/RpiDisplaySetup I'm sure between his app and the Victron forum, I can get this working in the trailer. When I do, it will display Victron's monitoring page (enhanced by GUI Mods of course) and give me access to all the system menus.

Last edited by lfhoward on Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:10 pm

lfhoward wrote:I had mentioned that I wanted an HDMI touchscreen for my Venus system to be able to monitor and control everything on the trailer without having to go into my phone. I got a little 5 inch Waveshare touchscreen that should do the job really well.

That display looks good, if you get it working I' might see if it works with the Cerbo. The Victron display is expensive and I love work arounds like this.
:thumbsup:
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:07 am

bdosborn wrote:
lfhoward wrote:I had mentioned that I wanted an HDMI touchscreen for my Venus system to be able to monitor and control everything on the trailer without having to go into my phone. I got a little 5 inch Waveshare touchscreen that should do the job really well.

That display looks good, if you get it working I' might see if it works with the Cerbo. The Victron display is expensive and I love work arounds like this.
Bruce

I’ll keep you posted. I decided to go for it because of the low cost. Hopefully it will be just as functional as a Victron Touch 50.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:25 pm

Today I mocked up the new 5 inch Waveshare HDMI touchscreen and got it running. Here is the setup. It currently lives in the kitchen side cubby with the Venus Pi and the Sixfab Pi, and two solar charge controllers. (Please pardon the mess of cables -- I'll neatly organize those.)

This is temporary, as I'd like to mount it next to the round battery monitor on the closet wall, just inside the door. Only the rectangular screen part will show through the wall.

The 5 inch touchscreen did not work out of the box (note the white screen with horizontal lines in the first pic), so some software had to be installed and then configured. I run kwindrem's GUI Mods for my Venus OS, and in order to install that several months ago, I had to first install his SetupHelper software package. The RpiDisplaySetup program is there on his Package Manager, and you can activate, download, and run it. It will only install part way if using an HDMI screen like I am. If using a Raspberry Pi branded touchscreen, it would have worked immediately. Because I have a HDMI touchscreen, it directed me to finish the install at the command prompt.

I was able to SSH into the pi from a terminal on my iPhone once I connected to the same wifi as the Venus (aShell is the terminal app- it's awesome).

ssh root@your_ip_address*. I entered the password when prompted.

*Note: In order to be able to SSH into your Venus OS, you have to go to the remote console and choose settings/general. Once there, make your default user into a superuser by selecting that menu item and then pressing and holding the right button. Once you are a superuser, enable SSH on LAN and then set your root password. I did this a long time ago, so I didn't have to do these steps again. If it is your first time needing to get root access over SSH, you will have to do them.

Once into the system, I typed the following commands to run the rest of RpiDisplaySetup:

cd /data/RpiDisplaySetup
bash setup

This will run the installer. Select i to install. Select h for HDMI. Select c for custom resolution. Mine was 800 x 480 with a 60 Hz refresh rate. Select 1 for aspect ratio (4:3). I did not have a dark or dimming script (yet) so n. When asked if I wanted to calibrate the touchscreen, I initially said n. (It is important to run the installer first without trying to calibrate, because you won't be able to calibrate if you can't see correct images on the screen.) Venus then rebooted.

When it booted up, I saw the Victron splash screen! Yay!

It was getting dark out by then as you can tell, but the screen view was perfect! The touchscreen function did not work as expected so I ran the installer again. This time when asked about calibrating the touchscreen, I said y. The first time running the calibration, it needed to automatically download and install the calibration script, so say yes to that. Once the Venus OS booted back up, I had to touch 5 pointers on the screen to calibrate it, and then it automatically rebooted a second time.

And this time it worked!!! I could see all the icons, and I could accurately scroll through and select the setup menus.

If one of the install settings didn't work for you, you can run the installer as many times as you want and try different settings. That's what I did, with a little help from the Internet. Let me know if you need any help to add an HDMI touchscreen to your Venus OS, because it is not exactly intuitive.

----------

A side note: If you scrolled all the way down to the bottom of inactive items on the Package Manager, you might have noticed an item called RpiTemperature. By installing that, you will see the Rpi's CPU temperature displayed on the monitor along with your other temperature sensors. You can see it in the previous photo at the bottom of the touchscreen, second from the left. I think the sensor defaults to the name Generic, but I went into the menus and changed the name to Rpi CPU. This temperature sensor shows up and can be used to trigger relays on the Venus system the same way as any RuuviTag. I plan to connect its temperature data to Relay 2 to turn on Venus Pi's cooling fan when the CPU temperature gets above 50 degrees C (about 120F). I configured a custom graph on the VRM to show me all the temperatures at once.

----------

Another side note: I also installed the BIG7 USB shield from UUGear today underneath my Pi 3b+. It worked out of the box with no software to install, and connects with 4 pogo pins so there are no usb cords between the Pi and the USB shield. It's an elegant design.

I have 7 USB cords that I need to run to my Venus Pi! These include:
- Overkill BMS (using their adapter)
- Roof solar charge controller
- Aux solar charge controller
- Battery monitor
- Shore charger (SmartShunt)
- 800 VA Inverter
- GPS antenna

The 3b+ has 4 USB ports, so the BIG7 shield is awesome. One USB (central, bottom position) becomes non-functional to feed the shield, but I now have 10 total working USB ports! I even have some room to expand! LOL

----------

About Power Usage:

Prior to installing the touchscreen and the USB shield, my system's background consumption has been about 7 watts. With the USB shield installed and the HDMI touchscreen backlight ON, the consumption rose to 9 to 10 watts (+2 to +3). With the backlight OFF, the consumption decreased to about 8 watts (+1). I will probably only turn the backlight on when I want to look at or change the Venus settings, so 1 additional watt should not significantly affect my power consumption or solar charging needs. I have the battery monitor right there on the wall if I want to glance at the charge status while camping, so I can leave the backlight OFF most of the time.

I am looking forward to having the touchscreen though, because it is not quick or convenient to bring up the remote console on a phone while you're camping. Having this touchscreen will give me all that same functionality, instantaneously, without having to burn through the trailer's monthly cellular data plan that is for Venus updating the VRM. The remote console on the phone is data-intensive.
Last edited by lfhoward on Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:36 am

Nice, it's really coming together!
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:00 am

bdosborn wrote:Nice, it's really coming together!
Bruce

Thanks! I tried to write down enough detail so that if I have to do it again later, I won’t have to reinvent the wheel. Also, I was thinking you might want to give it a shot on your Cerbo. ;)
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:29 am

Yeah, you definitely planted the seed and its on the van to-do list. I've got the screen on the van Amazon list. :beer:
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:32 pm

:applause:
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:17 pm

Adding auto-blanking of the touchscreen without having to manually toggle the backlight on and off...

... is possible!!

Here is the procedure* for my particular 5" HDMI Waveshare touchscreen (which is this one: https://www.waveshare.com/5inch-HDMI-LCD-B.htm):

ssh root@your_ip_address
enter your root password
cd /data/RpiDisplaySetup
bash setup
Select i to install. Select h for HDMI. Select c for custom resolution. Mine was 800 x 480 with a 60 Hz refresh rate. Select 1 for aspect ratio (4:3). Select y for blanking and dimming. For blanking, type: /sys/class/graphics/fb1/blank For dimming, just press enter. When asked to calibrate the touchscreen or not, n. Next, reboot.

When the system boots back up, blanking should be enabled. The amount of time your Venus OS will wait before turning off the backlight is in its Settings/Display menu. Mine was set at 10 minutes and I changed the wait time to 30 seconds. Sure enough, when I left the touchscreen alone for 30 seconds, it automatically went dark! To wake the screen up, give it a little tap. Brilliant! I no longer have to manually toggle the switch on the back of the unit to save energy.

This touchscreen is going to be awesome when I get it mounted in the wall. :thumbsup:

*Citing my source to give credit to smart people: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/184638/hdmi-blanking.html?childToView=184836#comment-184836 In the above thread, Kevin Windrim takes you through how to check if your HDMI touchscreen is capable of blanking (turning the backlight off) through software commands. If it is, you can do the procedure I outlined above, but you may have to change the blanking pathway to fb0/blank instead of fb1/blank depending on how your particular screen works. Also keep in mind not every HDMI touchscreen can turn its backlight off and on through software commands. If that's yours, the screen image will go black but the backlight will stay on. Also, dimming is not possible with HDMI screens, although on Waveshare screens a jumper wire may be soldered to a particular spot on the screen's circuit board and controlled via PWM on one of your Pi's GPIO pins. I'm not that ambitious. Blanking is fine for me.

Because I've done quite a few new programming mods to my Venus-Pi since the last time I backed up the Micro SD card, I took the card home and copied it again onto my Mac. If you don't know how to do that, but want to make SD Card backups on your computer, check this link out: https://beebom.com/how-clone-raspberry-pi-sd-card-windows-linux-macos/ I actually have 5 Pi's kicking around doing different jobs in the house and trailer, and so far only one micro SD card has kicked the bucket. (This happened after experimenting with overclocking the processor - beware.) Luckily, I had backed the micro SD card up prior and was able to get a new one and flash the image back onto it. Save all your hard work for sure!
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals