CapeBuild Build Journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CapeBuild Build Journal

Postby hccccook » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:02 am

CapeBuild! I remember seeing what you were starting years ago when I was just in the thinking phase. I'm also building a Vistabule look alike, so I was very interested in your build, but I haven't been been on here since then. Looks so great! I specifically ended up back here this week because I'm starting to think about my front window. I have the same plan you carried out--bending the acrylic and using a locking gasket. I'm glad to see your plan worked. You don't still have that oven over a year later do you? :lol: I'm going on Facebook marketplace to look for old grills right now!

Thanks for all the detailed info in your journal!!
✧ Hannah ✧

Teardrop Thalassa

https://www.instagram.com/teardrop_thalassa/
hccccook
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Capebuild » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:01 am

hccccook wrote:You don't still have that oven over a year later do you?

I don't. It was taking up too much room. Sorry, I would have liked to have passed it on. But one thing I did do, which I'd recommend, I created an extra window in case something ever happened to the installed piece. I have it wrapped up and stored away. Once you start to build the "oven" if I can offer any help/advice/experience to share..... just ask.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:00 am

But one thing I did...

Did you get your solar system done?

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby hccccook » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:31 am

But one thing I did do, which I'd recommend, I created an extra window in case something ever happened to the installed piece. I have it wrapped up and stored away.

Very smart I will definitely be doing that!

One other question: Where did you buy your delrin for the couch? It’s soooo expensive on McMaster I feel like, but maybe I’m looking at the wrong thing or the wrong thicknesses.
✧ Hannah ✧

Teardrop Thalassa

hccccook
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Capebuild » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:13 pm

hccccook wrote:Where did you buy your delrin for the couch?

I have a lot of plastic surplus I used for my work. I may have had the delrin. But one place you should look for it is Home Depot (believe it or not)... and I may have actually gotten what I used from there (which if I remember correctly was .187 thick... I'll check and confirm). If you get it from McMaster, the shipping is also pretty expensive. Try HD or Lowes.
EDIT: I measured the delrin the bed slides along on.....and confirming it is .187 (3/16").

tony.latham wrote:Did you get your solar system done?

Hi Tony.... I had gotten the solar installed prior to our cross country trip this past fall. 2-100 watt panels (Top Solar was the brand). They worked well enough. For that entire 2 month trip I think I recall only plugging into shore power maybe 5 or 6 times. I'm not sure how long these panels will last and be efficient. I may try another brand if I have to replace them..... this camping season will tell. I'd like to get Renogy panels but they're about an inch too wide to fit. They'd hang over the roof's edge.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:16 pm

hccccook wrote:One other question: Where did you buy your delrin for the couch? It’s soooo expensive on McMaster I feel like, but maybe I’m looking at the wrong thing or the wrong thicknesses.

There are surplus places that often have sheets of HDPE.
I use one in Kingston, NY
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:42 pm

this camping season will tell

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby hccccook » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:36 pm

pchast wrote:
hccccook wrote:One other question: Where did you buy your delrin for the couch? It’s soooo expensive on McMaster I feel like, but maybe I’m looking at the wrong thing or the wrong thicknesses.

There are surplus places that often have sheets of HDPE.
I use one in Kingston, NY

Ugh are you talking about P&T? I used to live up there and I miss having that place around! I got so many good bits there. I guess I’ll have to make a trip. :)
✧ Hannah ✧

Teardrop Thalassa

hccccook
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:20 pm

Its my favorite place. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Wed May 17, 2023 3:42 pm

Last year's camping experiences prompted me to make some changes to our set up.

**Added stretchy web netting over the clothing cubbies which will hopefully keep everything in place instead of flying onto the bed while on the road.

**Revised the Partner Stove to have the inlet on the right side. This allows us to run the hose through the interior of the trailer and now we don't have to remove the hose
from the stove every time we go to close the hatch..... the hose slides back into the upper portion of an interior cabinet.

**Revised the hardware and method which opens and closes the windows.

Did a few other things to make things operate a bit more smoothly but now ready for the camping season. We'll have some short outings prior to July
and then in July we have a 3 week trip planned to Wisconsin, to the UP, into Canada and back along their side of the border. Put the battery back in
the trailer today.... still at 100% ... nice to see all the lights still work :)

John
Attachments
web holder.jpg
web holder.jpg (254.04 KiB) Viewed 597 times
stove.jpg
stove.jpg (87.96 KiB) Viewed 597 times
window.jpg
window.jpg (70.74 KiB) Viewed 597 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Wed May 17, 2023 8:44 pm

All great ideas! The web netting in particular is brilliant and simple (simply brilliant?). I have the same problem where stuff from my closet shelves doesn’t stay put while traveling. Where did you order them from /what kind are the nets? They don’t seem like an expensive mod.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Thu May 18, 2023 7:05 am

lfhoward wrote:All great ideas! The web netting in particular is brilliant and simple (simply brilliant?). I have the same problem where stuff from my closet shelves doesn’t stay put while traveling. Where did you order them from /what kind are the nets? They don’t seem like an expensive mod.

They were not expensive and seem like they'll work well ....and also an alternative to putting wooden doors on which I really didn't want to do.
Here's a link to the item which was purchased on Amazon. They also come in different sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FJG9WKF?re ... tails&th=1

John
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 7.59.37 AM Medium.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 7.59.37 AM Medium.jpeg (66.76 KiB) Viewed 558 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Thu May 18, 2023 10:56 am

Thanks John. Now to do some measuring.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals