Foam Monster Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Foam Monster Build

Postby FoamMonster » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:54 am

Welp, I started my Foamer last week with the purchase of the HF 4x8 trailer. Got that assembled over the week. Not going to post a picture of that... everyone has seen what the trailer looks like.

Originally I was going with a 5x9 build, but have decided to simplify since this is my first attempt and stick with a 5x8. The one decision I have yet to make is to go 5 feet tall or stick with 4. The small added expense of an extra 2 sheets of foam to gain a bunch of head space that will be more comfy... heavily leaning in that direction. I want to be able to sit in this thing when its raining outside and not just lay around (going to use a tri-fold foam mattress that will allow for space). My next post should have my hand drawn idea of a plan, plus I should have the base of the trailer completed. That will be raising the floor bed with 2x4x5 cross members and 2 4x5 sheets laid on that and the bottom saturated in some kind of primer/sealer. I am considering adding a below floor box in the front to offset and added rear weight for 2-12v deep cycle batteries, its a strong maybe, since I can always house them in a front mounted box and keep it simple stupid. I also have a bunch of spare 6061 sheet from another project that has stalled, and will be building a duct for a small A/C that I can house outside and vent inside. Think of a portable A/C unit instead of venting hot air outside, it will vent cold air inside and remain outside. I hate working on small projects before the main project has gotten going, but I'm working with a lower back problem that keeps me in constant pain, so I have to balance what I can do with how the day is. Will keep this journal updated...
FoamMonster
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Foam Monster Build

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:18 pm

2 sheets of foam to gain a bunch of head space ...

You'll have more headspace while sitting in a 4' tall teardrop than in your car. If you go 5', on cold mornings, you'll be down where it's cold, looking up where it's warm...

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:13 pm

tony.latham wrote:
2 sheets of foam to gain a bunch of head space ...

You'll have more headspace while sitting in a 4' tall teardrop than in your car. If you go 5', on cold mornings, you'll be down where it's cold, looking up where it's warm...

:thinking:

Tony
It's also a further reach for the fan controls.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby pchast » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:59 pm

Yup... When I built I sat in a chair with a yard stick to measure how tall.
Then I added the mattress and 3 inches... I ended up at less than 4 foot.
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby philpom » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:22 pm

When I started to build I was also concerned about head space, I also build a 5x8 on the HF HD trailer and stuck with 4' tall. More than enough room inside to be comfy. In fact I'd be concerned about center of gravity if I went 5' high considering that the wheels are under and not out on the sides like they would be if building a 4x8 on this particular trailer.

Good luck however you decide to go!

philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby Dan242 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:46 pm

I made my camper 4 ft tall, that was 6 years ago, Never felt that it was too short. even with an 8" foam mattress. And I have a long torso.
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby FoamMonster » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:03 pm

Hi all... I haven't quit, just working out the details and dealing with a health issue, lower back arthritis SUCKS. Being in bed fighting the pain is depressing. The trailer is built, harbor freight, and the floor is on, 5x
.8. I've read over your comments, agree, partly with the 4 foot height, but will still go 5' inside. I have issues with confined spaces and the extra foot will make me feel comfortable. I tried setting up a kids night time 'tent' with blankets. 5 feet it is. The design is almost finished.

I have a few questions and am hoping your answers will help out.

1. Structural wood stringers... How important are they with PMF covering the whole thing? I'm trying to cover the inside with 1/16 Plastic sheeting and wood stringers will complicate it. I want a smooth inside finish.
2. Do I need to frame out windows and doors, or does the PMF/foam provide enough rigidity? I imagine a 30x20 window across the front will provide plenty of structural support against the wind. There will be full length stringers in the front though. It's the roof I'm most curious about.

Same for the door. It will be commercial,so a frame is included. But will it need a stud from bottom to top?

I could just add 2x3 roof and wall studs,then just add cut plastic sheets in-between, but wanted to avoid that and just slide in a whole plastic panel and spray glue/rolled on glue it in before closing in the rear galley.

Once I work out these few details I'll post the drawings.

Thanks again for all your great comments.
FoamMonster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:47 pm

You'll only need roof support if you are building a simple box. If the roof has angled or curved panels and you use 2" foam with PMF or your plastic panels on the inside (laminated to the foam) you'll be ok.

5×8' flat roof or thinner foam, the roof will may not shed rain water without support. You really don't want standing water on your roof.

You should plan on at least having wood or metal flashing around the window and door openings as well as blocking under any hinges.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Build Journals