aVANger Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: aVANger Build

Postby bdosborn » Sun May 28, 2023 7:39 am

We finally made a screen for the trailer after 8 years and then we wondered why we waited so long. They're pretty handy in hot, buggy weather. Sewing screens is really hard to do well so I cracked open the wallet and bought them for the van.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:36 pm

We had a nice trip to Nebraska for a balloon festival. Its unusual for us to visit when its so green. Moo enjoyed the campground:
The new screen door was very nice to have as the flies and mosquitoes were cruel.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Re: aVANger Build - Small Details

Postby bdosborn » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:44 am

Well I haven't done any big work on the van lately but I have done a few small tweaks.

That plastic armrest gets pretty hard after awhile so I added a stick on gel armrest. More better!

I added a Victron GX 50 touch display. This was a like to have rather than a must have. You can read most everything you need to know from Victron equipment using Bluetooth on your phone. I just like how everything is presented on a single screen. Oh and it looks pretty cool too. ;)

I installed it in the ventilation panel for the fridge, it was just easier to run the wires there than over to the other side of the van where the control panel is. The screen turns itself off after a bit so it wont light up the van at night.

I added another PV controller for a portable PV panel, in case we want to camp in the shade. Its the yellow and green thingy:

The panel connector is at the driver side back door, I can close the door with the cable connected to the panel.

The van looked awesome when we camped at Sink Canyon in Wyoming:

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:19 pm

Bruce, you van looks awesome anywhere! I like the idea of a hidden control panel, too!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:13 am

Thanks Sharon!
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:07 am

Looking really good! I think you’ll be glad to have a portable PV panel. I found that my portable panels made more watt hours than my roof panels most every day of my last camping trip. That’s because I pointed them at the sun of course. :FNP

You’ll also like having the LCD screen to see all your Victron parameters. Depending on how much you use it, maybe you will end up wiring it across the van to the wall on the other side! I used mine almost all the time, even forgetting the battery monitor was located right next to it. Meanwhile the stealth location in the fridge vent is pretty neat.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:11 pm

lfhoward wrote:Looking really good! I think you’ll be glad to have a portable PV panel. I found that my portable panels made more watt hours than my roof panels most every day of my last camping trip. That’s because I pointed them at the sun of course. :FNP

Ha, I found the same thing with the trailer portable panel. My OCD doesn't let me walk by the panel without adjusting it to face the sun. :lol:
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

aVANger Build

Postby Toytaco2 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:14 pm

Bruce - Long time t&ttt member here although I don’t post often anymore. I’ve been building out a Transit camper van the past year and a half and passed the TD along to my son. I’ve been contemplating that same solar panel connector at the rear driver side door just as you have done. I'm really new to solar and just picked up a portable 130 watt suitcase unit to supplement my B2B charger with a Renogy 100AH lifepo4 Smart Lithium battery. May I ask how long is your extension cable and what gauge wire did you use? What have you found to be a good compromise length to balance weight, bulk, and distance from the van?

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:08 pm

Toytaco2 wrote:<snip> just picked up a portable 130 watt suitcase unit to supplement my B2B charger with a Renogy 100AH lifepo4 Smart Lithium battery. May I ask how long is your extension cable and what gauge wire did you use? What have you found to be a good compromise length to balance weight, bulk, and distance from the van?

Making a guess that your portable panel max power is at around 18V (that's what mine is) then 130W/18v=7A maximum output. Using this fancy voltage drop calculator, you can go 20' with #12 wire and have around a 3% voltage drop. A #12 is the size cable I've been using for years without any issues that I've noticed. I did spring for some nice marine rated wire though, it's super flexible.

eBay linky

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Toytaco2 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:54 pm

bdosborn wrote:
Toytaco2 wrote:<snip> just picked up a portable 130 watt suitcase unit to supplement my B2B charger with a Renogy 100AH lifepo4 Smart Lithium battery. May I ask how long is your extension cable and what gauge wire did you use? What have you found to be a good compromise length to balance weight, bulk, and distance from the van?

Making a guess that your portable panel max power is at around 18V (that's what mine is) then 130W/18v=7A maximum output. Using this fancy voltage drop calculator, you can go 20' with #12 wire and have around a 3% voltage drop. A #12 is the size cable I've been using for years without any issues that I've noticed. I did spring for some nice marine rated wire though, it's super flexible.

eBay linky

Bruce

Thanks for the Ebay link on the cable. I was already considering a marine rated cable in #12 wire of around 20 to 25 feet, so it looks like I'll be running a duplicate of what you have done. It's just good to hear some firsthand experience to help me avoid "stupid beginner mistakes". My charge controller is combined in the same unit as my B2B charger and is about 5 to 6 feet from my rear door where that connector will be (I plan to make that 5-6 foot run using #10 wire I have left over from the build). I had also been wondering if I could get away with running the cable out with the rear door closed. Sounds like you have already had good luck with that approach. Sounds like it should work for me as well.

Thanks for the help,
Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Re: aVANger Build Floors

Postby bdosborn » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:18 pm

I made some floor covers out of 1/8" hardboard and grey marine canvas (matches the van). There's nothing wrong with the carpet that's already down except it holds dirt like crazy. I didn't want to add all the weight of a hardwood floor so I'm giving this a try. I hope it works as I think it looks pretty good. I finally got around to making a step threshold, only using stuff that was already in the garage. It's held on with magnets so I can change it out for something else if it doesn't work.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:30 pm

Those should work nicely. I would love to see your van conversion in person. It really is beautiful. :thumbsup:
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:24 pm

Thanks dude! :thumbsup:
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:06 pm

Besides looking great, is the functional purpose of the new flooring to make it easier to sweep up dirt with a broom as opposed to vacuuming? Asking for a dumb friend.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:23 am

featherliteCT1 wrote:Besides looking great, is the functional purpose of the new flooring to make it easier to sweep up dirt with a broom as opposed to vacuuming? Asking for a dumb friend.

Pretty much. Its amazing how much dirt you track into the van compared to a teardrop, The carpet really grabs a hold of dirt and you can't really sweep stuff out. The wife says I should Scotchguard the canvas (great idea), which I will be doing today. I was going to use hardwood flooring until I picked up a box at the home store. That stuff weighs a ton....
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals