Buddy & Missus' Full Height Teardrop Camper Slide-In

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Buddy & Missus' Full Height Teardrop Camper Slide-In

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Fri May 10, 2024 4:47 pm

Day 87 & 88: Roechling Foamlite - Initial Cuts For Cabinets - Building a Teardrop Camper

We've been waiting for this! Finally get to cutting the Rochling Foamlite that we will be using for the interior cabinets, counter & floor. We chose this material as it's lightweight, non-toxic has no voc's and being polypropylene plastic, it's moisture and mold resistant - something we really wanted to make sure the camper pod will withstand our damp climate. I use my new Kreg Straightedge XL to break the large 59 by 118 sheets into more manageable pieces. I build an outfeed table and do a long deserved tune up to my table saw.

I used this fantastic free cut list optimizer to make sure we reduce any wastage of the foamlite.
#optiCutter
https://www.opticutter.com/cut-list-optimizer
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Master

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Tue May 14, 2024 4:58 pm

Day 89: Foamlight Cutting & Fitting - Building a Teardrop Camper

A little bit of a mash-up today. Hubby does some fitting of the white Foamlite cutting on the table saw and sanding with the palm sander. He also knocks out some large pieces of the black 1/2 Foamlite and place them (beds, countertops, backsplash, etc) in the Camperpod. That Kreg Straightedge XL is certainly earning its keep.
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Master

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Thu May 16, 2024 2:38 pm

Day 90: Waterproof Plywood Alternative - Testing Tools With Foamlite - Building a Teardrop Camper
Working with plastic has it's challenges - but it'll be worth it for a mold-free material.

Today hubby worked the Roechling Foamlite with a router, table saw, jig saw, hand plane and forstner bit. He runs into a few challenges, but figures them out. Installed a bunch of panels including the custom bathroom sink panels. Lots of maths used today.
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Master

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Sat May 25, 2024 3:53 am

Day 91: Foamlite Cabinets, Corriboard Lights & Finishes - Building a Teardrop Camper

Hubby covers a lot of ground today: cabinet faces, shelves, doors, backsplash, electrical, trim, corriboard and hatch work.
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Master

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Thu May 30, 2024 5:06 pm

This project has been much more challenging than I could have ever imagined. We're no amateurs when it comes to constructing unique projects - I've designed and built several healthy homes but a lightweight SUV-towable, VOC-free, mold-resistant, stand-up height camper that can slide into a utility trailer has tested our design and building abilities at every corner - and curve.

AND THEN - when we are almost finished the project - THIS HAPPENED!!!
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Master

Postby DJ Davis » Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:02 pm

I had been watching y'all's weekly progress, but got sidetracked by things going on here. I just watched your last video from 12 August where y'all pulled it out of the garage and onto the utility trailer. You allude that you **almost** finished the camper and then "...something happened." So...WHAT happened...?
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:09 pm

DJ Davis wrote:I had been watching y'all's weekly progress, but got sidetracked by things going on here. I just watched your last video from 12 August where y'all pulled it out of the garage and onto the utility trailer. You allude that you **almost** finished the camper and then "...something happened." So...WHAT happened...?

Haha Sorry if it sounded like something went wrong - it was actually the opposite -Something went perfect for a change - It fit like a smack in the mouth - we were very worried something would go wrong getting her out of the garage and into the trailer - but it was the best moment yet - 15 minutes and it slid right in!!! :) And were almost finished - just a few trims, decoratins and final touches - now if the endless cold rain would hold up.
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Master

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:09 pm

ROLdour Install - Lightweight waterproof space saving doors - Building a Teardrop Camper

These doors make the pod look fantastic without adding much extra weight. They're great for passage, privacy and shower door. Perfect for any RV application.
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals