Meanwhile in the Netherlands,...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Meanwhile in the Netherlands,...

Postby smeerkees » Fri May 17, 2024 5:39 pm

Hello everybody,

Nice to see some messages and input from you regarding the build.

Thanks pchast.

@KCStudly,

Thanks for your input.

I did not know the YouTube channel of Neil Pasking with his channel: Paskmakes.
(He now has a new channel member).
I saw some referenses on his channel with the Diresta channel from Jimmy Diresta if i am correct.
That channel i know pretty well.

I think you refer to the topic of benchtop metal cutting shears on the Paskmakes channel.
I know of these shears. I have even concidered them fot this Job. In fact a friend of my has a sheetmetal cutting shears just like it and if
should need it i can borrow it from him if necessary.

Thing is i have already a plate of sheet metal wich is about 6ft.7 (2 meter) in length and 3ft.1/3 (1meter) wide. in about 1.2mm thickness.
(I need this thickness partly also because i have to Tig weld parts of it.)
I want to cut it lengthwize in strips partly in slightly differend sizes of eachother (exact sizes yet to be determent) of about 4 inches each in a straight line.
Thing with shears is: how to feed 6ft.7 length plate repeatadly in a straight line. maybe with some kind of guiding edge. this would work.
Also the piece you just cut off will probably be bend behind the scissor part of the shears. (like with tin snips) but maybe avoidable.
Pro. of this method is a clean cut and the slow and preciese method. Witch i like.

However I have already made some other type of divice.
I mounted my angle grinder with 1.5mm thick cuttingblades onto a device (actually a kind of slider) made out of steel and wood, and lined it out very careful so the angle grinder is in a realy good fixed and straightlined position. So i can slide this complete device against the sheetmetal and cut strips in a straight line.

I would have already updated this on the site here but i wanted to try it out first to save myself from embarresment in case it would not work....
Cons of this system, 1. it uses a lot of brute force compared to metal shears,
2. at least i have to file and clean each cutted edge before using it to cut the next strip.
Pro of this sytem, at least in theory, you can cut a complete strip of about 6ft.7 in 1 go, and each pass in a straight line.

In case this does not work i think i have to use the metal cutting shears methode indeed.

I keep you updated on this side project.
Greets, Kees.
smeerkees
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals