An "Urge" to build - Maiden Voyage 10/30/10

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

An "Urge" to build - Maiden Voyage 10/30/10

Postby Lookfar » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:21 pm

I've finally figured out how to get some photo's here, so there is no particular reason not to start a journal. Then I spend some time looking over all of the builds here, and wonder what I could contribute. Don't know, maybe comic relief.
This is going to be just about as simple a tear is I can build, because I'm a firm believer in simple. And generally the result, in my case, is better.
Started with a TSC 4x8 frame, 1500#, no floor. My nephew welded some bracing to the tounge and extended it about 6"
My brother is helping with the build, and truth be known, it probably wouldn't be happening without his help. We are also using his back yard which has a flat spot under a tree, and no ticks.
The tear is coming out a 5x8, which is pretty much what I had intended. Here are the photo's of the trailer and floor, which probably don't require much explanation.
Sure hope this works...
Last edited by Lookfar on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Butch,
Looks like you are off to a good start.:thumbsup:
I would have loved to have my brothers close by to help/keep me company while the build is in progress. was not meant to be...........
Keep the :pictures: coming..
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Lookfar » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:05 pm

Wolfgang;
It's really great to be working with Cliff, even though he is a perfectionist (1/32" isn't really close enough). I'm more of a realist. If it holds together and I'm not embarassed by it I'll be happy. We haven't lived near each other in about 20 years, and traditionally haven't worked well together. Something about sibling rivalry I suppose.
I do have more photo's, which brings us up to the first of this past week.
There are few photo's of me, since I usually take them. But I wanted one to prove that I do something. This is the first time sanding the walls.
Then we have the dry fit on the walls.
While dry fitting the walls, we noticed a really impressive bow in the galley section of the right wall. Scalloped very nicely, which gave me the chance to buy another sheet of 1/2" ply, and cut out another wall. Sort of like clamps, can't have too many.
Then we have framing, then the luan attached on the inside walls. There is also a profile of the wall with a door cut in, and a nice profile of my brother.
We hope to get the walls permanently attached this week along with the galley bulkeads and counter. We'll see how that works out.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby Lookfar » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:26 pm

By the way, I lived in Escondido for a little while about 30 years ago. While there, I rented a trailer on an "Rincon" indian reservation for a few months. Sure is dry out there...
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Butch,

You would not recognize "Rincon" Indian reservation now. They have a huge 14 or 15 story tall hotel/gaming center with a 3 story parking garage next door where the bingo hall/tent was about 30 years ago. Cant miss it at night when you are on top of Palomar Mountain looking down into the valley, with Escondido and the coast further out. All the reservation here about have some gaming going on. Not the back country it was back then...........
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Lookfar » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:19 pm

I've camped at Palomar a few times, with a tent. We generally went to the Kern River by Lake Isabella when I lived in Long Beach. I think I'll remember it as it was...
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:19 pm

:applause:

Looking good Butch! Keep up the good work.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Lookfar » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks Tom;
We managed to get back to work today, and it seems pretty productive. Managed to get the walls up, and installed the lower bulkhead and counter.

Then the upper bulkhead.

To this point, it all went pretty well. We had to play with the spars a little and they are screwed and glued, except for the fan.

Then the required profile, with stuff put together.

And, since we got the walls up, we had to have a bigger shop roof.

Will probably take tomorrow off for mowing or some such stuff.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:32 am

Butch,

It looks like you're holding out on us:

Your teardrop is looking incredible! I really love the sloping back lines of your design. And, BTW, your pace is making me look like I'm in reverse gear.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Lookfar » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:20 pm

Tom;
You are entirely too kind, but that is fine with me. I sort of started with the Generic Benroy, then decided that I wanted a little more pronounced slope in the galley. We framed the hatch today, which was interesting.

As far as the pace of building goes, I have myself and my equally retired brother working on it. Were it not for him I would probably still be staring at a bare frame.
Though you are taking longer, all we have to do is look at what you and Linda are building. When we get to Beavers Bend I'll probably be relegated to a spot far away from the civilized group.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:25 pm

That passes as campable at LCG! :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Lookfar » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Scott;
I've love to be there, but I sort of need to fasten the hatch and maybe install a couple of doors. The little things that mean so much. I hope to be finished by month-end, but there will be no budget left for travelling. Drat!
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby Lookfar » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:41 am

After about 4 months of commuting to my brother's house, I was able to bring her home yesterday! Only about 1/2 hour drive, but it sure was nice. Towed just like she should have, and nothing fell off.

There is still plenty to do, such as latches for the doors and hatch (wire got us home). Hope to do the first camping trip in a couple of weeks.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:38 am

Like your teardrop. It goes real well with that flashy red truck :thumbsup:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby Lookfar » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks, Steve. Yeah, a little red and leftover house paint. Weird thing is, red isn't really one of my favorite colors. Just got tired of all the other colors I've had on my trucks.
Haven't see you around in a while, how is your build going?
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals