First build of a 5x 9, Updated 9-13-11, Final Details

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

First build of a 5x 9, Updated 9-13-11, Final Details

Postby kentucky bryan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:07 pm

Well here we go !!

I have to preface this that this build is going faster than I can take pictures so if there is something you'd like to see, shout out and I'll try and get a picture for you.

If you followed this over from the Newbie Forum, you know that I am a custom cabinet maker by trade. The design has been in process since Christmas and conditions were right to cut it loose in the shop.

On Monday the 17th I picked up the steel tubing for the frame at Metals Depot in Winchester, KY. They've got a good web site listing all sizes and prices. The tubing for the frame is 2 x 2 x 1/8 wall.

Also picked up all sheet goods at our cabinet supplier Flagg Inc. In Nicholasville, KY. Cabinets and Floor are 1/2" Baltic Birch, Exterior and interior skins are 1/8" Baltic Birch. Wall sides are 3/4" Luan.

The guys were finishing details on the last cabinet job so I was able to get drawings ready for the frame and floor.

Monday evening all electrical was order from Tweety's. WFCO convertor, porch lights, galley lights, 12 volt plugs, interior lights.

Tuesday morning was a trip to Gatormade Trailers for axle, jack, fenders, light kit, and coupler. Gatormade is in Somerset, KY but they have a good Ebay store. Since I'm only about 40 miles from their brick and mortar, I was able to pick up and no shipping !!

Got back to the shop and started routing parts.

The filon skin was order Tuesday afternoon from Factory RV Surplus.
Ouch that one hurt the budget at $19+ /running foot. Yea I know it's 103 inches wide, but if your trying to do this without seams, it's still a $700 date including shipping.

By late Tuesday we were able to see what the frame was going to look like.

The next one will either use a .090 wall tube for everything but the hitch or maybe C Channel.

The mounting for the axles is just tacted in place to see if the balance is right. Got to remeber to finish those welds or first ride will be the last.

The floor was also built, insulated and gooped by late Tuesday.

Image[/img]

It might be weeks for this thing to dry with the humidity we've had. :sweaty:

Wednesday was cutting parts for the cabinets. This one about drove me crazy for the programming.
From my cabinet building, I have found that anytime you can dado a joint, you get alot stronger part.
The cabinets are made from 1/2" baltic birch and the entire group is about 25 parts.
Getting the holes the right size, the dados in the right spot, electrical access, ??? hope I haven't created some sort of Chinese puzzle that can only be assembled if the moon is full and you have to hold your tongue out just so.

:?

We'll find out on Monday

I've got to admit that I would never even attempt to build without a router

We use a Komo VR512 with a 10 tool changer.

The software for programming this job is Vectrics V-Carve pro.

We use a different software on the cabinet side, but for the one time parts this project entails, V-carve works better.

Lot of finish parts starting to come out by late Wednesday

Wed afternoon was my first call to Grant at Lil'Bear. All aluminum Molding, Handles, Latches, and Windows are come from Lil'Bear

Thursday was just a grunt day.

Plane and cut roof spars, 3/4 x 1 1/2 White Oak. If it's good enough for Horse Fences it's good enough for the teardrop. Seriously, white oak is a great exterior wood

Sand all cabinet parts.

Cut insulation for walls

Prime the frame wth Rustoleum

The only exciting thing was assembly of the outer skin and spars for the galley hatch.

Again the router made it easier but it was still a gluey mess that took 3 trys to get it square.

First package of electrical came in. Porch lights. galley lights, 12 volt plugs
fantastic fan.

Friday was a good day

Finally enough stuff to start dry fitting things together.

Fan is in place and start pulling electrical wires.

Last edited by kentucky bryan on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Seems like as soon as we got done paying for the "Sins of Our Youth" , We needed to start saving for our retirement.

My Build at:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=45264
kentucky bryan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby LDK » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:24 pm

WOW!!! Lightning fast work. I'm gonna follow this thread that is if I can keep up with it. :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Wow is right,

Right industrial tool for the right job.
Looks like this is going to be a beauty......... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby kentucky bryan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:58 pm

Sorry I hit the submit button instead of the preview and I can't figure out how to edit a post.
There was just a little more to show.

To say my guys in the shop were skeptical would be an understatement, but by the end of the week

Billy was already trying it out for size.

We also have a shiny black frame

And racks of finished cabinet parts

And fenders primed out waiting for final coat when i figure out what color.

Any suggestions? :thinking:

And finally a big thanks to Billy and Darin who I know will never get to see this. The heat in the shop last week was unbearable, but they kept slogging thru it.

Today is time off. Maybe a quick trip to Lowes when it cools off for some miscellanous stuff.

I'll try and get more frequent updates next week.
Last edited by kentucky bryan on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seems like as soon as we got done paying for the "Sins of Our Youth" , We needed to start saving for our retirement.

kentucky bryan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jhanlon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:01 pm

I need a nap after just looking at those pictures. Excellent shop space and excellent build. In this heat, I'm officially impressed>
John the Vanner - now with 41 X 48 HF trailer
jhanlon
Teardrop Advisor

Postby glamoree » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:13 am

Absolutely incredible set up! Looks like you could start an assembly line here. This is going to be one nice teardrop from just looking at the start of it. I'd like to see this someday, I am just south of you in Corbin and frequent Lex (just yesterday) often. Good Luck!
"Green Lantern Corpsman"
glamoree
Teardrop Master

Postby kentucky bryan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:30 am

Well I guess you could say that's the plan.

Being from Central Kentucky, you know how slow the building business
is right now. We needed to find other products that weren't tied to the housing market.

This is our first prototype of a new product line for us. Thought the best time and place to get feedback would be on this forum.

You're very welcome to stop by the shop anytime. Actually were even closer to you because the shop is in Lancaster.

All comments and critics welcome. We can't build what you want if you don't tell us.

kentucky bryan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Larry C » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 pm

kentucky bryan wrote:Well I guess you could say that's the plan.

is right now. We needed to find other products that weren't tied to the housing market.

This is our first prototype of a new product line for us. Thought the best time and place to get feedback would be on this forum.

You're very welcome to stop by the shop anytime. Actually were even closer to you because the shop is in Lancaster.

All comments and critics welcome. We can't build what you want if you don't tell us.

Very impressive!
With the market already saturated with commercial built trailers, you might want to consider a different direction. With the CNC router you could build unfinished kits that buyers would put together themselves, either on their own frame or yours if shipping wouldn't be too prohibitive.
With everything precut and drilled, a kit or parts of it might be attractive to many builders.
A well written instruction manual/video would need to be included.

$.02
Larry C
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:07 pm

kentucky bryan wrote:
And finally a big thanks to Billy and Darin who I know will never get to see this. The heat in the shop last week was unbearable, but they kept slogging thru it.

All you need is to give them the web address. I have found that most folks want to know more about what they make, how it interacts with the world and what people think about it.

As for making this part of your business plan, I wish you the best of luck. Guess one advantage you have after the first one is built you have the machines already programed to cut the majority of the parts and in this case time saved is money saved.

Looks like it is going to be a beauty and it will be fun to watch.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby glamoree » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:40 pm

kentucky bryan wrote:Well I guess you could say that's the plan.

If ya would send me your address, my wife is heading to Memphis for the week, pending my son's football schedule I might take the bike out for a cruise to say hello.
"Green Lantern Corpsman"
glamoree
Teardrop Master

Postby kentucky bryan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:45 pm

glamoree

You should have a pm

Bryan

kentucky bryan
Teardrop Inspector

First Build 5 x 9 , Updated 7-25-11

Postby kentucky bryan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:42 pm

Well back at it Monday Morning

Walked in hoping the Elves had got something done over the weekend.

NOTHING :x BUMS

If anyone wants to apply for an Elf Position they can list there qualifications here.

Must Work Weekends and Pay is Terrible.
Only Benefit is use of any Teardrop in the shop

Start with something easy Drawer Boxes. Nothing fancy no dovetails or lockmiter joints. Just a simple Rabbet sides and Dado bottoms.

Mount the slides on the side of the boxes
I hate piano hinges
There a pain to install, have no adjustment and have to be cut with a hack saw for the length .

Clamp the 4 ft wobbly piece in the bench vice
Try to protect it with a piece of foam packing.
Hack off the length you need.
Find a center punch to reset all the factory “crimpsâ€

kentucky bryan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kentucky bryan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:32 pm

As bad as Monday was

Tuesday more than made up for it :D

Too tired for much detail so I'm just going to post the pictures and add descriptions at a later date

:beer:

I'm Done

kentucky bryan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DMcCam » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:00 am

Hi Byran, I really like your profile and man are you moving on your build! Thank you for sharing your progress with us sir!

All the best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:16 am

This build is awesome already! You have the tools and experience to turn out a beautiful product and quickly. I'm looking forward to seeing this progress! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Build Journals