The Charlie Project

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Charley Project 051212 6 Days to go!

Postby bc toys » Tue May 15, 2012 7:50 am

well from what I can see I like the Red and Black sure a few more coats will cover the blotching and nice tile job you did there on the counter top and as for the inside of the window I would make a wood trim piece and silicone it good of cource stand it But you are doing a great job there keep it up
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: The Charley Project 051512 3 Days to go!

Postby Forrest747 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:58 am

Thanks BC i enjoyed putting the tile in and hope it survives the camping. The black covered up any markings that were there. yeah a few more red i think after the campout.

Well after i posted last night i decided to work on the door. so i worked on the last remaing door by cutting out the cherry interior panel for the door. attached it and let it set overnight.

Here is the hardware and marker

Last edited by Forrest747 on Tue May 15, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:45 am

Go Forrester Go!

The teardrop is looking fantastic. I love the tile, paint colors, and wood stain. You have a really nice TD there.

Now git er finished!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Forrest747 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:34 am

Ya with 3 days to go I hope i can finish the front marker light wiring and the tongue box the doors and then another coat of paint.

Thanks for the compliments it means alot i lay in there and think wow what alot of work i hope it survives the first trip.

I remember the first time the A380 took to the skies and i was sitting there with my late wife, nervous as all get out, I was on the team that designed the engine plyons and she leaned over and said if the engine falls off you can blame it on the manufacturing. well there is no one below me on this build, other than the kids and really can you kick the kids or the dog?

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Tue May 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Nice thing about dogs Forrest is you can spank them and cage them when there bad but do it to the kids and you go to jail, geez!! Teasing ya bud, it is looking good and if you have to you can sand it down and repaint later if needed! Keep it up your almost there!

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: The Charley Project 051612 2 Days to go!

Postby Forrest747 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:49 am

Wife wanted to go out so we went out to dinner and on the way there a nice 7 car pile up about 300 feet in front of us. So helped out a SUV that was in bad shape all seemed to be ok when we left an hour later.

Well after dinner put a second coat of red on and finished roughing out the last door and put a coat of paint on both of them. will finish them after the campout. put a rough coat of paint on the prop rods. plans tonight wire up the front marker lights install the doors and do a check of the running lights to make sure they all work and dont have the turn signals crossed.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby PSBreen » Wed May 16, 2012 11:48 am

Forrest,

Wow! You've really made some great progress. Looks great.
Steve & Cynthia
PSBreen
Donating Member

Postby txcamper » Wed May 16, 2012 2:50 pm

The red and black looks great!

Keep at it, looks like you're incredibly close!
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Re: The Charley Project 051712 1 Days to go!

Postby Forrest747 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:55 am

The last build day tonight. I did not get done all i had planned. Had a sister that was having issues with a science project for a 5th grader dropping an egg. After that Jennie wanted to go see a college roommate late was close by, so it was 10pm by the time i started to work. i dont have the time to bolt the porthole windows in teh door so i just used drywall screws and buytl tape. i found all of the door hinges and put them into position yet i will need to redo the bolts once i get back. i then was too tired and went to bed.

So things i have to do by friday around 11am.
solder the front marker lights.
temporarly protectt them from teh mattress
drill out the attacment points for the hinge.
install the door latch
Install the tongue box and manufacture a lid. the parts for the lid are roughed out just need to put together and just screw in place for the trip.
clean out the inside of tools and dust
check proper light function.

SHe will not be the prettiest trailer on teh road but she is mine and i love her. kids get out of school just after memorial day so 4 potential child slaves to work in the garage waxing and polishing. need to teach the dog to crack whiops.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Thu May 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Lookin great, and dont worry, its ne er done...lol posting from cell at park trailer, thinkin i should be home while its still home wor
Kin on my trailer
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Thu May 17, 2012 9:55 pm

Forresyer it will be fine bud, just tell people you builft it and your still working on it and just had to take it out! They will all understand, trust me! Enjoy yoursselves and have fun!

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby txcamper » Fri May 18, 2012 10:07 am

Just sending some encouragement, hope your Friday list was a success!
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Re: The Charley Project Having Issues

Postby Forrest747 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:44 am

Well lets say the drive down here was fun. Started out in the rain and for about the half the drive it rained. sealed teh doors and hatch with duct tape. She pulled like a dream got her up to 80 at one point and smooth as glass. yet for teh most part averaged about 65 to 70 mph, only issue was going up hill. I also am having issues with the Jeep, I think its a throwout bearing just not sure. Well i found that my footprint was about the same size as some of the tents that were set up. several tours of the trailer. very impressed that it was home built from the frame up. several asked teh weight i dont know so estimated about 1200#. setup went well did find that i had to lower the front to make it level due to where i parked it. left teh windows opened about half way so it was cool in there but warm under the blanket. The place we camped (Veyo Pools) had a littel cafe so had burger and fries to eat. just worried about getting it home with the TV giving me issues. may leave her with my inlaws until next week, have to come down here again for family function.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby PSBreen » Sat May 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Sounds like trailer wise that things are going pretty well. Hope you have a great time camping and that the jeep issue isn't too serious. How about some pictures of your trailer on it's first trip into the "wild".
Steve & Cynthia
PSBreen
Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Sun May 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Well the trailer is stranded in southern Utah for hopefully only a week. My jeep limped home and will be in the shop this week. Take the opportunity for an "empty" garage to put stuff away and sweep the floor. A few things about the campout my baby is now dirty and will need a bath when it gets home. No matter how many times u vacuum there will be sawdust all over the bed when u get to the campsite. Need to figure out a trashcan. Hated putting the chairs and prop rods inside. So maybe find a way to store these items on the side or roof. Not sure about the roof vent I really never been a fan of it and I figure if its cool in the middle of the night with the windows open musy have gotten enough fresh air. Not enough storage space with the loft and the three cabinets are good for not much more than keys and such. The lower three spaces are covered by the mattress so we shall see. Maybe add something to the front area for storage. I don't know we shall see take a few more trips. Have another one in two weeks where my dad wants to go camping with the grandsons on their father sons campout not much time to get her back home and a few more days of finishing touches

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals