Where or When Jr. --Paint & New Tow Vehicle--update 5/17/15

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby starleen2 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:50 pm

I've had to put a build on hold for a few weeks - but the time was good - since I could sit out in the garage and ponder what was to come next - working out details in my head - planning each step in sequence. It really helped me from making costly time consuming mistakes. It's not a lack of planning, but a blessing!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby pete42 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:24 pm

In every situation there's a little sunlight that shows through.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 pm

starleen2 wrote:I've had to put a build on hold for a few weeks - but the time was good - since I could sit out in the garage and ponder what was to come next - working out details in my head - planning each step in sequence. It really helped me from making costly time consuming mistakes. It's not a lack of planning, but a blessing!

I have a fortunate knack for dreaming solutions to problems so I have more time during waking hours to spend on building. I want to be ready to roll by March so losing a few days will hurt.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby myoung » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:24 pm

pete42 wrote:In every situation there's a little sunlight that shows through.

pete

Agreed. Here in the Valley of the Sun we don't have to wait through cloudy patches as much as you might in Ohio.

:)
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby pete42 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:26 am

You've got sunlight we have frezzing rain with snow to follow 5+ inches forcast for today.

cousin lives in Phoenix Az
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:33 am

I'm not bragging or anything like that, just thankful.

God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:57 am

Now that's just cruel 8)

forecast Winter Weather Advisory Dayton Ohio Thursday Jan 20

Time---Forecast-----Temp-----Feels Like-----Wind-----------Humidity--- Precip Chance
8 AM---Snow ------- 22°--------22°----------3 mph NNE------90%-------- 90%
9 AM---Snow--------22°--------22°---------- 2 mph NNE------89%--------90%

ECT, ECT, ECT, ECT, ECT, ECT, ECT, every hour all day long except it gets colder the wind picks up and blowing snow and drifts become the problem.
:?
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:22 am

In our community, folks from Ohio are among the most refugees. CA is number one, of course, but IL, OH, WI, MN, WA, and CO are leading states from which people flee in pursuit of global warming.
8)

Here in Goodyear, AZ, added attractions for Ohioans are the spring training camps of the Indians and the Reds. So, rather than putting up with all that nasty weather, y'all come down.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby NathanL » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:51 pm

It's always sunny and 72F with just the right amount of humidity in my shop. If it's not I turn on the A/C or heat or the demudifier to make it so :D

Otherwise the humidity right now is about 110%. Walking outside is like walking in a cloud.
NathanL
The 300 Club

Postby emiller » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Just got home from Kansas City last night and the snow was coming down hard there glad I live where I do. But then there is summer in Phoenix. 8)
Back to the build topic.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Okay, Eddie, here's a build update.

Today, I finished gluing all the interior skins on the four walls.

About all I can do now until the epoxy arrives is figure out how to put flashing inside the wheel wells. I have 25 feet of 16-inch wide aluminum flashing that should do the trick. Being aluminum, it should be pretty easy to cut, bend, and attach.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby bve » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:38 pm

myoung wrote:Okay, Eddie, here's a build update.

Today, I finished gluing all the interior skins on the four walls.

About all I can do now until the epoxy arrives is figure out how to put flashing inside the wheel wells. I have 25 feet of 16-inch wide aluminum flashing that should do the trick. Being aluminum, it should be pretty easy to cut, bend, and attach.

How about a few progress pics for those of us stuck up north with our builds on hold for warmer weather. :)

p.s. We all know you have a camera and know how to use it. :lol:
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby myoung » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:08 pm

bve wrote:How about a few progress pics for those of us stuck up north with our builds on hold for warmer weather. :)

Sorry, Burke. I just didn't think that there was much to show. Just gluing and routing and lots of sawdust. I'll add photos when I resume assembly or when I have some details that might be worthy of mention. Thanks for watching.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby myoung » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm lining the inside of the wheel wells with aluminum flashing. In order to make the needed bends, I used this poor-man's sheet metal break. It's just a piece of wood clamped to the Workmate table between which in insert the piece to be bent.

It helps to use another piece of wood to initiate the bend. And, I found that if I hammer the second piece against the first, I can get a nice 90-degree bend.

Alternatively, for some of the bends, it is just as easy to start the bend by hand and then apply a little hammer persuasion to make the 90-degree bend.

I installed all the pieces with screws and will give the flashing a good thick coat or two of Henry's someday.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby myoung » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:21 pm

Today marks a milestone for my build: the sides are now glued and screwed to the floor and each other.

I got the epoxy last night so today I got back to construction. Unfortunately, my helper took ill this morning so I put all the pieces together myself. It took less than two hours.

I first soaked all the joints with a thin coat of epoxy to saturate the wood, especially the soft plywood floor joint. Next, I mixed some Cab-O-Sil with the epoxy to make a thick paste that I slathered on the joints one side at a time.

A couple of clamps held each side in place until I sank all the screws into holes that had been predrilled. It came together quite quickly or, perhaps it is more accurate to say that I rushed along as fast as I could so that the epoxy wouldn't set before I finished.

The label on the bottles said that I'd only have 20 minutes at 70 degrees, which was the temperature today, but in fact I had more than enough time. I guess using a shallow container and later mixing in the Cab-O-Sil stretched the cure time out beyond the suggested 20 minutes.

So, here are a few walk-around pictures.

The top front section will have to await resolution of the linear actuator issue. I designed the angle and height in anticipation of using an actuator with an 18-inch throw. Although that size is in the catalog, the item does not appear to be available in stock. I'm trying to get some answer from the manufacturer and hope that I don't have to rework things using a 24-inch throw actuator.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals