Motorcycle tent trailer (Kustom Klamshell)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Motorcycle tent trailer (Kustom Klamshell)

Postby harleykamper » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:32 am

Well! I'm getting a lot closer to completion. I've almost completed everything except the tent portion of Kustom Klamshell. Last weekend I was able to glue in the carpet, Install the remaining trim on the outside, paint the rims, install the tongue extension and rewire the lights, install the running/brake lights, install the pneumatic supports, hinge, etc etc.... :FNP
My daughter and I worked on making patterns for the tent. It was not as easy as it sounded! "Just" two triangles and a square...... :? But with considerable thought, careful measurements and not a little beer, we were able to complete a pattern, sew it together, test fit it, take it apart, and cut out the tent material. Whew! :FNP We got a lot done. next weekend I'll finish the tent (I hope), glue the carpet to the storage lids, put on the decals, and latches. So....really close to finishing. 8)
Here, installing the pneumatic rams to hold up the top. They worked perfect! just the right length and psi. The lid opens itself and then isn't too difficult to close.

Working late into the night. HOT night. Cutting out the nylon tent material after the test fit.

My daughter, Melinda, sewing the webbing into the bottom and top of the tent sides to give it strength where it will be attached to the trailer sides. The tent material is what is shown in this picture, shinny white.

Closer view of the inside, storage boxes, rams, lid....

Further back

Test fitting the patterns. Mock up. Made from the floor of an old tent. We only shortened one dimension by 1/2". Measure twice, cut once.... :thinking:

Another view of the mock up.

Back of the trailer. Brake/running lights, licence plate holder. Hinge...

Blurry side view. almost completed outside... Whoo whoo.. :applause:

Still more to go. Then back to some golf.....and camping.. :applause: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Paul & Marilyn Moon
2008 anniversary edition Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Ultra Classic
Kustom KlamShell tent Trailer. (In build now)
The ClamShell Tent Trailer Build Journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54531
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby ST1100 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:48 am

Hey Paul - very fine work ! So you can camp at Burning Man with your Klam :thumbsup:
Tom
50 years camper and 35 years biker !
1977 Eriba Troll
2001 Honda GL1800 with trailer hitch, Ford Focus Pininfarina Convertible with hitch
ST1100
Teardrop Master

Postby harleykamper » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:37 am

WHAT!! Take my Kustom Klamshell to Burningman and get it dusty!! :roll: Actually, Burningman is about Excesses, not minimalist camping! We take a van and tow a utility trailer behind that. FULL!! For the one week..... :R

Here's the van and trailer. This is just for the one week...

Our shade structure. Need LOTS of shade. To keep the beer cold.

Burning down the temple on Sunday night. We burn the man on Saturday night. Crap! We burn anything and everything down if we can.... :twisted: :twisted:
mahahaha :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby ST1100 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:33 am

Sounds like a lot of fun 8)
Hope to meet you there in another year !
Tom
1977 Eriba Troll
2001 Honda GL1800 with trailer hitch, Ford Focus Pininfarina Convertible with hitch
ST1100
Teardrop Master

Postby paul.luna » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:41 am

Hey Paul,

I started reading your thread last night and just finished this morning. Wow Cool Stuff!You've managed to help me out with my latest test "the Luan" Thanks for documenting it so well! I should have no problem figuring it out now. I After it drys does it keep the shape? I was wondering if I should wet it, Clamp it down then let it dry before I screw it down. Did you use any glue? I was thinking if I had to use glue don't I need to wait until the luan drys first before I glue it?

Paul

PS I think love the Last name, I am your Spanish counter part. LOL :lol:
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby harleykamper » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:22 pm

yes Paul Luna is my counterpart! Pablo Luna. And yes it will keep it's shape for the most part. I did glue and nail it to each piece of frame under it. I wet the luan for about 2 hours, applied glue to the cross pieces, clamp it down on the top and just bent it around the curve. I used a long piece of wood (the same 1' X 2" wood I used in the framing) to bend it with even pressure. It wasn't too hard. It made a pretty shape bend actually. I didn't wait for the luan to dry because I also used screws to secure the luan. If you're not screwing the luan down I would (just glue) I would really clamp it down well and let it set 24 hours. But it might just keep its shape if you let it dry first then remove it and glue it down. Bet it would! Good luck.
I'll look for your build journal! :beer: :beer:
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby paul.luna » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Paul,

Thanks for the advice. BTW nice Ultra. Do you get it serviced at a Dealership? I bet they don't condone pulling a trailer. I use to work at one, I know how our service department was about trailers hitches.
I ride a Buell, not a tow vehicle LOL! You may see a Dyna in some of my pics it's for sale. I am getting ready to post some more pics of the build here's the thread;
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56691

OH! and if you in the San Diego area with the Trailer I'd love to see it!

See ya,

Paul
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Corwin C » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:53 pm

harleykamper wrote:Test fitting the patterns. Mock up. Made from the floor of an old tent. We only shortened one dimension by 1/2". Measure twice, cut once.... :thinking:

One quick comment ... with your fabric attached on the inside at the bottom, any rain/dew/whatever will run inside the trailer. Perhaps a little "flip out" piece of fabric to divert moisture to the outside.

Very nice project BTW.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby harleykamper » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Yep! No motorcycle manufacturers recommend towing. That said....Lots of people tow with bikes. Hey, somebody has to be the outlaw! 8)
I have it serviced at a local bike shop here in Reno. Lots of the local harleys go there. it's not too unusual for me to change my oil and filter myself. And I clean the air filter.
I'll change my own brake pads soon. Plugs are no biggie either. I leave the other fluids, drive train belt, tires, clutch stuff to the pros! It'll get a good once over before we leave on our cross country trip this fall. I just ordered replacement bearings and seals for the HF trailer to take with us cross country to have a spare pair. Long trip 6500 miles. 32 days. :thinking: :roll: :)
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby harleykamper » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Corwin C wrote:
harleykamper wrote:Test fitting the patterns. Mock up. Made from the floor of an old tent. We only shortened one dimension by 1/2". Measure twice, cut once.... :thinking:

One quick comment ... with your fabric attached on the inside at the bottom, any rain/dew/whatever will run [i]inside the trailer. Perhaps a little "flip out" piece of fabric to divert moisture to the outside.

Very nice project BTW.

Yep! We thought of that. Good pickup! That's what they do on the Lees ur lite trailer also. I'm still torn between a waterproof flap that will snap to the trim on the outside, or a rain fly! Or both..... :roll:
We are expecting rain on this trip and the trailer will fill up pronto with a big down pour. I'm leaning toward the flap. It's not hard to sew and a couple of snaps will hold tight. Also going to need a rain gutter across the front, top lid. Because water dripping off the roof will hit the front tent material. I'll probably still make a rain fly to really make it comfortable in significant rain! A rainfly that has a vestibule in the front over the tongue. And if we really start getting wet, it's off to the hotel anyway. Since we're traveling cross country, it's not really a camping trip so we're not staying at any campground more than just one night. The 3-4 day layovers are at family and friends houses. I hope to have enough time to work out these little details before we leave in mid Sept. :NC
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby harleykamper » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Spent all day working on the tent, sewing the pieces together, zipper covers, rain bib, etc. Wednesday I'll spray the tent with polyurethane spray to waterproof it. I'm hoping with polyurethane and lots of seam sealant I can forgo the rainfly. I'll need to install a rain gutter along the top edge over the front. That would take care of most rain and if it got really bad, it's off to the hotel. Again this upcoming trip is "travel", not camping per se.... :roll: We need to save weight on this trip. After spraying the tent I'll install it!! Then install the latches, locks, and remove two of the leaf springs to soften the ride. Good to Go!! :thumbsup:
In this pictures the two sides and the front are not sewn together yet, just test fitted. This is the front of the trailer. This is where we will enter through.

Right side view. Without the rain bib sewn on yet.

left side view. Still lots of wrinkles, I haven't secured the tent material to the trailer yet. After I do that it will be tight and smooth all around.

Looking though right side window. These are fairly large windows. Hopefully enough flow through ventilation.

My lovely and extremely helpful daughter. She has been invaluable in sewing this tent portion of the Kustom Klamshell Tent Trailer. It looks great because of her!! :applause: :applause: This is looking through the front door.

Looking though the front door window. That gives us three windows to ventilate this thing. I hope it's enough.

Full view, still without the rain bib along the bottom edge.

Starting to test fit, measure the rain bib.

I hope to take a test spin this weekend. See how she pulls. Still need to put on the decals and wax it. Make it all pretty like... ;)

Working the 3 days in the ICU, saving lives, stamping out disease and pestilence. It's what we do! :beer: :beer: :beer:
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby emiller » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:45 am

Very very nice. :thumbsup:
emiller
Donating Member

Postby ST1100 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Hey Paul !

This looks pretty cool - I like your big windows !
The air ventilation will be much better than in my tin can.

I make only slow progress at the moment.
It's very hot here, so the weekends pass with reading under my trees, slurping ice coffee and beware of moving.
But I mounted the body of the trailer to the chassis and drilled the holes in my first stainless steel sheet at sunday and lost my fear of that part of the build.

In two and a half weeks we depart to the island of Sardinia in Italy with my wife and two daughters enjoying there 10 days in our Eriba Troll trailer.

I'm looking forward to your first towing report.

Tom
1977 Eriba Troll
ST1100
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:12 pm

Please tell your daughter that those tent sides look professionally done! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby harleykamper » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks! I told her today. We finished up the tent and most all the work on the Kustom Klamshell today. I'll post the pics tomorrow. Bed time!! :NC
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals