Weekender status - 1st camping (update 10-21-12)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Weekender status - glass tape wetted in (update 5-27-12)

Postby les45 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:18 pm

IslandStorm62 wrote:Is this fiberglass tape different from the ones used for drywall? And the Aeromarine 300/21 that is epoxy used to wet and seal the fiberglass tape?

No, this is a different kind of tape. It is actually a fiberglass cloth mat. When you apply it to a 90 degree corner you need to round the corner slightly. I used a belt sander to do that on mine. I bought the tape and the Aeromarine 300/21 epoxy system directly from Aeromarine online. I bought the 1.5 gallon kit and only used about half of it. The Aeromarine system is what I used to wet and seal the fiberglass.
les45
500 Club

Re: Weekender status - 1st camping (update 10-21-12)

Postby IslandStorm62 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:03 pm

Les,
I saw some of that fiberglass cloth at HD; I'm guessing this is what you used and you just cut 4" strips to seal the edges. I am leaning away from the woody exterior and planning on following your technique. Seems / sounds a lot easier, maybe is 6 of one 1/2 dz of the other.

On that Marinco Inlet, that is a 20A Inlet connector would that be sufficient if the Campgrounds only have a 30A hookup and the PD4060s main breaker is 30A as well?

I am putting in a 30A 120VAC Breaker for the Main, a Tandem 20A 120VAC breaker for 1 - Dedicated for the Converter / 2 - for the outltes and a 15A 120VAC for the Lights. Do you think this is overkill?

I don't plan on having a heavy electrical load. I would say the heaviest draw would be if I had a rice cooker, coffee pot, electric skillet and small heater running simultaneously. And, I can almost guarantee that 93% of the time the first three would not be in at the trailer/campgrounds with me.

Thanks for all the details earlier. I went to HD and bought the circuit breakers; after a long discussion I came home with Square D brands not GE or Seimens. when I put them in the PD4060, the face plate could not seat back into it's notches...oh well, back to the depot I go.
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kharn » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:28 pm

The manual for the PD should have the exact breaker series that will fit, not all Square D breakers are the same shape.
If you use a 30 amp breaker, you must use a 30 amp inlet and wiring.

The kind of fiberglass tape needed for weatherproofing a camper isn't the same stuff you buy at Home Depot, you need to buy it from the same place you get your epoxy, and ideally, it should be the same brand to ensure compatibility.
Kharn
500 Club

Re: Weekender status - heat+rain=humidity (update 8-7-12)

Postby nhstt » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:57 pm

les45 wrote:
IslandStorm62 wrote:I do not recall the material you used for your trailer. My wall is 1/2" Baltic Birch and 1/8" Baltic Birch for the roof/skin. They appear to be fairly smooth. I moght do a light sanding to clean it up. So, I was wondering if you think all the filling you are having to do is related to the material you used or can I expect the same amount of filling sanding and primering?

I'm sure the edges that are sealed with the fiberglass tape will require additional filling and sanding.

I used 3/4" cabinet grade plywood for the sidewalls and 1/4" regular good-one-side plywood for the top and ends. I was going for a fairly smooth finish so I filled a lot of little blemishes in the wood, especially the 1/4" stuff. It just depends on the material you buy. Even the cabinet grade sides had little flaws in the grain and handling dings that had to be filled. Note that I treated all the wood with CPES before doing the body work. I used epoxy filler that was compatible with the CPES and I used an oil based primer (Zinsser) that was compatible with the filler and the Rustoleum. You need to make sure that all your components in your system are compatible. Some people use Bondo as a filler and it is not compatible with an epoxy system.

Les,
I'm looking for a cpes available at a big box store, then compatible filler with exterior paint(which I already have) any thoughts :?
Karen at the Ladybug-out build journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55602
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby Kharn » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:13 pm

CPES isn't available at big box stores, you'd have to use something like spar varnish thinned with mineral spirits if you want to avoid ordering online.
I'm in the process of using Jamestown Distributing's TotalBoat TotalFair epoxy and liking it, the yellow vs blue parts make mixing 50/50 very easy as it turns green when properly proportioned and stirred.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby gene so » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:40 am

Hello Alfred,

Thanks for replying to my questions on electrical hookups for a teardrop. I have watched your video and like almost everything I have read or seen on this site, it enlightened me to a facet I had not considered. I note you covered your screws on the exterior of the plywood with some substance, What was it, and did it hold up to many miles of driving without loosening?

I congratulate you on your family endeavor and wish you many years of enjoyment with this trailer.

Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Postby les45 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:22 am

gene so wrote:Hello Alfred,

Thanks for replying to my questions on electrical hookups for a teardrop. I have watched your video and like almost everything I have read or seen on this site, it enlightened me to a facet I had not considered. I note you covered your screws on the exterior of the plywood with some substance, What was it, and did it hold up to many miles of driving without loosening?

I congratulate you on your family endeavor and wish you many years of enjoyment with this trailer.

Gene So

PM sent with response.
Larry S.
les45
500 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals