Tin Tiny - a 1940's rebuild

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Dimensions

Postby crdouger » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:13 am

The trailer is basically 4' wide, 4' tall, and just over 9' long. It's got that wierd tilt to the front which makes it a little harder to design, but more interesting than a rectangle. The framing is all 1 1/4" x 1/8" wall angle iron welded together and then skinned with .040 aluminum sheet. Only along the lower back edge where there was some significant leaking for years did the aluminum and steel show significant signs of galvanic corrosion. But the trailer survived the first 60 years, I figure if I clean it up and replace the bad parts, it will go another 60. My wife's perspective on it was that I never keep a project for more than a year or two anyway! Unfortunately she's right. When I'm in the middle of a project...I'm sure this is the one I'm going to keep forever!

What is Doug's American Voyager?
crdouger
Teardrop Builder

Postby John T. Hodgen » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:00 am

Hi,
I, too, would like to see a link to Doug's A/V?! To see a comparison. I love the profile and how this trailer was built, will be keeping up with your progress. The hammocks are Kool too.
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

American Voyager

Postby Alfred » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:23 am

Hey Gang,

Doug's American Voyager is one fine looking camper, too. There are more pictures in his Hall of Fame gallery, but here is one of them...

Doug's American Voyager

Here's a link to the American Voyager album:
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... ser_id=454
The A/V pix start about pages 5-6.

Similar to John H. post, I think your camper looks great, very different and interesting. I keep checking back to see how its going. Keep us posted!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby crdouger » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Thanks for the picture. It does look EXACTLY like mine...minus everything fancy. :) I'm shooting for something solid, water tight, and very usable. Today I learned to buck rivets. It was WAY easier than I expected. Now I can plug a few holes, add a few character patches. And put my windows back in with water tight rivets instead of screws.

I'll post some pics when I have something worth a pictures.

Later - Doug
crdouger
Teardrop Builder

Postby crdouger » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:31 pm

I just checked the aluminum with a calipers. The exterior shell is .060 aluminum, not .040 like I guessed. It's pretty thick.
crdouger
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gage » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:16 pm

You'll find that most all alum teardrops that are riveted with no interior ply are .060 sheeting at least. .040 only came about with ply backing. Stand-ups (vintage travel trailers) are another story. Most of those are .020 to .032 alum sheeting with just 1" x 2" framing :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby grizz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:43 am

What a beauty.

Great find too.

Love the hammocks, and as they are for emergency use only, you will still be enjoying the trailer 99.9% of the time.

The shape and quirkyness of the design works for me.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

A little forward progress:

Postby crdouger » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:49 pm

The previous owner installed and removed a roof rack. They just attached it with screws into the aluminum sheet and it was pretty mangled and turned into swiss cheese. So I took some .060 aluminum and bucked four large "patches" in each of the corners. Fairly close buck rivets and some Vulcum sealant should seal it up well

The next step was to install the roof vent. It's a NOS roof vent/escape hatch intended for a bus (I think). It's large, so I should get lots of airflow though it.

Now for the side windows. I'm putting two on the campsite side. One is installed already and the other I just finished cutting the hole. I need to rivet in the drip caps yet to push the rain off the trailer. These crank out nicely and should be nicely rain proof.

The front used to have two small slider windows. They leaked when it rained and didn't open well or even very much. They were small. So I opened up the front and added a window almost all the way across it. The window was 2" too narrow to fill the whole gap, so I riveted a spacer piece of aluminum to fill in the gap. In a unique way, I think it looks nice. We should call it the "Rivet" instead of "Tin Tiny".

crdouger
Teardrop Builder

Looking great!

Postby Alfred » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:04 am

Looking great, and you're making good progress, too!

Al in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby grizz » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:36 am

Love your progress.

Love all the work that goes into the riveting, as it comes up looking great.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hugh » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:32 pm

that trailer looks way to cool. when it,s done people are gonna be all over it at the campgrounds.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby John T. Hodgen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Hello,
Yets been a few weeks since your last update! Got any new pics of your progress or did all that T-day turkey got you on the couch? Inquiring minds--you know. Lol.
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

update

Postby crdouger » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks for asking about updates. I didn't think anybody was watching! I've been working on it some lately, but not much because West Michigan has been slammed with snow and that means I get to do some plowing. Plowing takes time, but that's what's paying for the teardrop...so it's all good.

I've put off the rest of the windows because I ran out of rivets and needed to order some more from VintageTrailerSupply. So I've started on the hatch door. That's the one thing that has been intimidating me the most. I bought some aluminum angle 2" on one leg of the angle, but the other was only 1". I thought that I might be able to somehow bend it in the vice and make a curve out of it somehow. It ended up being easier than I hoped. Here's the pics:

My next project is to weld together the frame for under the trailer. I removed the heavy steel frame and I'm building one that is light and won't rust (much) instead. I'm using some aluminum I-channel that I found at a local metal yard. It was cheap and seemed strong and light. Here's what the front is sort of going to look like. It's a little longer than probably typical, but I'm hoping it will track better and give me plenty of room for a propane tank and a utiliby box for a battery, charger, and other utility stuff. Any suggestions from anybody on good designs for the front?
crdouger
Teardrop Builder

Postby John T. Hodgen » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:29 am

Hey crdouger,
If your going with a tongue box, I've always like the design boxes that have the same profile as the front of the trailer. The same radii and curves which blend into the camper body. It's always a personal choice and hope that it comes out as nice as rest of the camper has-whatever you come up with.
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda
8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Some work got done over Christmas break.

Postby crdouger » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:05 pm

I finished installing the last two windows and the rain caps (or eyebrows and my family refers to them). I like the way they came out and the seem like they are going to be really water tight.

Now I get to start on the galley. This has me excited and nervous. I'm excited to finally move on to another part of it. I'm nervous about getting the galley doors to seal and I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to build the cabinets yet. I keep telling myself that it's one thing at a time. I hope you like the pics.

Next I'm going to start on the wiring so I can install the insulation and hopefully get the frame welded together.
crdouger
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals