The "Club Car" build. Updated 10-11-11 FINISHED!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby stomperxj » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:55 pm

Instead of editing your original post, reply to the thread and it will bump it back to the top. Its better to do it that way anyway cuz it lets people reply in between your posts. Nice work btw... Great lookin trailer
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:08 am

Woodbutcher,

I can't help you with the computer stuff, but I have to say that is one fine teardrop build you have going! The folding seat/bed is over the top.

Thanks for showing details on your construction methods. It helps me to learn how do different aspects of woodworking. (BTW, I think it was discussed before but I think a woodworking techniques journal on this board would be very helpful.)

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:56 pm

OK, Stomperxj, I'll do it your way, that makes sense. Then all I have to do is edit to update today's date. Thanks!

Tom, Thanks for letting me know someone is following how I do things. I'm sure there are many other ways to accomplish the same things, these are just the ways I've found that work for me. Hopefully it will help others.

Alright here are a few things I just finished .

The dreaded Galley hatch! First off I am using a hinge I get from So-Cal Teardrops. It is 20 bucks a foot, which I do not like. It's expensive. But I used it on my first build and it works well and I love it. I work completely alone. So not having anyone around to ask, "hey can you hold this" doesn't happen. This hinge allows me to put the galley on and off as I need to. So for finishing and fitting everything it's a big plus.

Here is what it looks like.

The hinge is a ratchet style. You slide off the cover and the hinge separates. Very easy to take the galley off and on. Here are the stops that keep everything in place.

The first thing I did was make 1 rib that matches my side profile. I allowed for the thickness of the metal and gasket material. After I make one perfect pattern, I needed 6 more. I traced the perfect one onto my 3/4" plywood.

Then I band sawed between my drawn out ribs. You could use a sabre/jig saw if you have one. Really doesn't matter the cuts are not accurate.

Now I have my 6 other ribs, all over sized.

Now I take my first perfect pattern and screw it to my over sized rib. Then I use my router with a 1/2" straight bit with a bearing on the bottom. Flip the screwed together pieces over with the pattern piece on the bottom. Run the bit around following the pattern to duplicate another perfect rib. I use a router mat. Really helps hold the work in place and helps save fingers! Really cheap and great for sanding on as well.

After I get my 6 other ribs made. I wanted to make a mock up of the hatch. Since my hinge comes apart I just screwed 2 ribs to a short cross piece to make a mini hatch. What I wanted to do was fit the lift struts.

Then I made a pattern piece out of 3/4" plywood that matches the tears profile of the side. Two C-clamps hold it in place. Now I am able to measure and screw the strut in place without worrying about messing up the hatch and the galley side. There was a thread on here from Grant I believe that showed where to place everything. I am down about 4.5" from the top of the hatch, and about 17.5" to the bottom. Your results may very depending on the length of your struts. But It really does not matter since you can make a million holes if you want. It will never show. Then lift the hatch and check for head room.

Now that I have my placement right, I run some 1" screws into the bottom strut bracket. This makes a hole in the galley side to mark where the bracket goes "for real".

After this is done, take everything apart. Take the pattern for the strut bracket and flip it over and clamp it to the other side of the galley. Screw some 1" screws into the holes left from side A and now side B is a mirror image. When the hatch is done the struts are already marked for install.

Next I assembled my hatch. Used pocket screws (KREG, great tool !) to put it together. Next I installed all the blocking for the hatch lock and the tail lights and License plate light/bracket.

Here is the finished hatch just sitting in the opening.

I then started putting a few of the cabinets in place. I have moved these all around the shop for weeks. Nice to get them out of my way and where they belong.

Well that is where I am so far.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby azmotoman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:18 am

Futon frames with a basement? WOW! That's a great idea. :thumbsup:
Money isn't everything, but it keeps the kids in touch!
Dinero isn' ¡t todo, pero él mantiene el interés de los niños!
azmotoman
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:59 pm

OK, I am back....The project got put in the barn for winter and I had real paying work so I did not get back to this till a few months ago. Nor did I take as many build pictures as I went along.

The aluminum I used is painted and has a pleat bent in it for interest. But that pleat makes the sheet roll up and is a pain to work with. Since I work alone I had to improvise how to install it with no extra hands. So it's, 2 saw horses with garbage cans in them. Holds the roll so I can crawl under and get the sheet in the seam. Stand it up and hold it in place with duct tape. Fight with the router to trim the extra and punch out the door metal. I had to reuse the drops for the doors, so I could not make any mistakes.

Well that leads me to the finished project. I told you I did not keep up with build pictures as I went along......So through the magic of the internet here it is....

The inside has 2 frames out of the back of a Leisure Van that create seating. They face each other and flip down to make a queen size bed.

This is the headboard end. There is storage behind the headboard panel.

Here is the foot board end with a place for a TV and heater.

Here is a picture with the seats folded down into a bed.

I managed to make the tongue box out of the scraps...

The galley has lots more storage then my first build.

Took it for a test drive behind my work Van. Could not even tell it was back there.

It's been out in the rain and to the high pressure car wash and passed the test. So I will take it on it's maiden trip to the Illinois Fall Gathering at Panther Creek State park. Wish me luck and thanks for looking!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:09 pm

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOWZER!!!!!!!!!

That is one nice trailer. How do you expect to get any camping done? You are going to be to busy showing it off.

You should be down right proud of youself

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:07 pm

GEEZ LOUISE !!! Randy is right.. you'll NEVER git any campin done...even "I" want a "tour" !!

When yer ALONE, ya git creative with settin thangs up to work on em ! Love the trash can/ saw horse thingy !!

Mighty fine trailer my friend.. mighty FINE ! Love the drop floor and seat/bed idea !

You must be PROUD !!
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:15 pm

Very nice! I've scrolled through your pictures about a dozen times now, makes me want to build another one ... :thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Unique, beautiful and very well thought out. I love it. Fine craftsmanship to boot!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Becky
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:36 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: beautiful job!!!! Enjoy the maiden voyage!

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks to all for the kind words. It was mostly fun to build. The first time working with metal and all the trim. I could do without some of the problems. There is a certain amount of satisfaction that comes with completing a project. The next one will be a real light weight one. There are lots of extra parts left over from the last two builds that will get used up. I've already done some planing.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Billy K » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Some "butchers" are artists !!

That is a sweet trailer.
Congrats on the "finish" and...
ENJOY, you have earned all the gawking and staring !!!
"...influence is no government." - George Washington
Billy K
Teardrop Master

Postby kevingb » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Wow! Nice... Really like the pleated aluminum.

:applause:
kevingb
Donating Member

Postby Maureenm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Spectacular! :applause:
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:04 am

Looks great!! :thumbsup:

That pleated siding looks awesome, and I love the color!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals