Tub Toys gone fishin' Update 8/7/11, cabinets etc

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby tsmiley23 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Corwin C wrote:I'm not so concerned about the balance now that I know that there's storage for heavy items under the bed.

As far as the ceiling height ... put on your favorite hat and stand on your tip-toes. If there's nothing hanging down from the ceiling, there's no reason to be any higher.

Very nice metalwork. If your woodwork skills are anything like your metalwork, this is going to definitely be a build to watch.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kudos, :D I'm excited to share and let you all judge and help with advice.

As for the hat, I'm wearing it in my avatar and I'm 6' tall, so the minimum is 6' 4". Guess we think alike? 8) :thumbsup:
CONSISTENCY!!!!!! It's only a good thing if you're not a screw up.
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tsmiley23 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks for your advice Wolfgang. I checked out your gallery, very nice build and very classy trailer :applause:
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks for the complement on my trailer.

As for inside height, it really depends on you. I just read you are 6' tall. so if you want to stand straight up, I would add a couple or 3 inches.
If you don't mind slouching, you could maybe to down to about 5 1/2'.
Put a roof on your side piece temporarily to see what feel ok to you and then you can also judge if the overall height of the trailer looks good to you.

Remember, only you have to like it, it's you trailer.............
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby vtx1029 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Great work so far. Just wondering if you took the brakes apart after it was sandblasted and cleaned/repacked the bearings. that sand gets everywhere.
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby myoung » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:17 pm

With the nice table and comfortable bed, you'll only be standing to enter the trailer and to cook. Personally, I wouldn't go more than an inch or two more than my height. Even bending your head a bit is no big deal.

More height means more wind resistance, but it also means more buffeting from side winds, which I'll bet happens often in CO.

I'm sure you will do what is most comfortable, but think of the activities you'll perform and what space is needed for them.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby tsmiley23 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:40 am

vtx1029 wrote:Great work so far. Just wondering if you took the brakes apart after it was sandblasted and cleaned/repacked the bearings. that sand gets everywhere.

You aren't kidding :shock: Unintended consequences, but it's all better.
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jdarkoregon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:31 pm

tsmiley

YOU are putting together a very good personalized trailer. I'm glad you are taking the observations to heart and still making decisions that suite you.

You are going to be blown away with all the room in your trailer. it will be so easy to just hang out in there on those bad days.

I'll be following your build, plan on going to the IRG next year to show it off

Thanks for sharing, Its fun to see you make progress.

John :thumbsup:
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby tsmiley23 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:12 am

Moving on: Next up is installing the tail light wiring and the gas lines. You can see the tail light wiring following the main frame members and now I'm laying out the gas lines. My propane bottle will set on the trailer tongue, I want a catalytic heater on the drivers side rear, a cook top on the passenger side rear and an outlet out the back of the trailer so I can move the cook top out doors. So here's the layout:

And here it is installed:

And from underneath:

And from the rear:

tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby myoung » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:18 am

Plumbing for the catalytic heater is a good idea. I don't recall seeing anyone else do that.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby tsmiley23 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:46 am

Next up: The 1/2" plywood floor, and attaching the walls to the top of the fender wells:

Floors all done:

A gratuitous shot of the hitch with wiring:

And now to attach framing/siding to the wheel wells. I decided to attach a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/16" angle iron to the top of the wheel wells using 1/4-20 tapped machine screws. This will give me a great place to attach my siding and framing for the over build. This joint is sealed with "Dow 795":

And the plywood/framing is attached through the angle using wood screws:

Here's the framing:

Now the detailing is done, let's build some walls :D
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:06 am

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Very nice work. I like the details you are putting into your build, particularly the floor pans, trailer jack "lift kit", and the LP gas plumbing.

Thank you for documenting your build. If I ever get finished with #1, #2 is going to be a standy, and I plan on incorporating some of your details.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Dusty82 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:35 am

I'm watching this build with LOTS of interest. I love the attention to detail and plan on incorporating several of your ideas into our builds.

Excellent work so far - can't wait for the next installment!
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby tsmiley23 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:00 pm

aggie79 wrote::thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Very nice work. I like the details you are putting into your build, particularly the floor pans, trailer jack "lift kit", and the LP gas plumbing.

Thank you for documenting your build. If I ever get finished with #1, #2 is going to be a standy, and I plan on incorporating some of your details.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Guess we have a mutual admiration society going :shake hands:. I'm really enjoying the trailer building process, I've build houses all of my life and it's really fun to savor what I've learned. This is a total departure for me, I've never built anything mobile, so it's fun to adapt the skills I do have and think about strength vs. weight and maximizing space. Documenting the build and sharing is also very satisfying. Hope your build is as much fun for you.

I'll be in the shadows,

Terry :D
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tsmiley23 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks Dusty

Have a cold one on me, oh what the heck, how about a round for everybody :guzzle:

tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tsmiley23 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:45 pm

Thought I'd start with my only curved section, that way I can build to it. This may be a bit detailed, but I hope some of you enjoy???? :o

This is the radiused top front of the trailer. I began by laying out the desired radius with a compass and cut it out using a trammel attached to a router;

I then laid out my spar locations so I could route out notches for them in my pattern:

Here I'm making a new pattern that I'll use to cut out the spar notches

Here it is attached and ready to use:

The result:

And now to set up and cut out the inside:

The finished pattern:

The one in front is roughed out using a jig saw, the next step is to screw the pattern to it and make a matching set;

And the final result;

I'm real happy with today's effort, next I'll add some more bracing, nailing blocks in the middle and soon I'll be ready to build walls under it 8)

My wife just came out and told me we're having Margarita's for dinner,

SEE YA:P

tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals