"Fred Sanford" build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Woodstramp » Sat May 14, 2011 12:53 am

Eatatjoz,

I must have jetisoned more of the detail frame pics...sorry. I did find two that may help when using the rails mentioned.

I made the tongue as a unit. Used a purchased hitch ($20), scrap 2x2 tubing then welded plates that I tec screwed to the rails. Actually, layout was mostly tec screwed together. Only real welding was after I layed most of the frame out at the end. Had to make special box plates to attach at the front end of main rails. Tec screwed together at first. Love tec screws.

This is the best shot of where axle attaches to two main rails. At this junction I had to make a heavier 3" angle "bolster plate" to firm up this junction (rack rails are really thin stuff...figured it might collapse from stress).. 3" angle was sandwhiched between the axle attachment and the thin rails. Tec screwed first, then welded at end of frame construction.

Also notice the 2x2 brace (yellow). It ties two rails and has small (downward and diagona)l struts that are welded to 3" angle bolstered area at wheel attachments. This really stabilized things by making a box of sorts.

Image[/img]
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sat May 14, 2011 1:09 am

Standup, Shadow, Dread, Deryk,

Thanks for all the comments. As to the theme song...get over it. :) I always liked the show and eventually the theme song. I hope this thing looks "store bought" when finished. Junk hidden under a purty skin is the goal.

And yes, an old ford truck would be awesome.....especially if it was "Foosed" first.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sat May 14, 2011 1:29 am

Forgot to add these progress pics earlier...

New wall mounted to frame.

Disadvantage of "free outdoor" workshop....rain. :( That is why I'm inside, making build journals...instead of working on it.

Just made the rack of the little AC unit...needs mounting and duct work.

Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sat May 14, 2011 1:49 am

Oh, forgot an honorable mention on design (I'm totally ripping off :) )

Last year I saw that a local Alabama chapter of teardrop folks were having a camp at Oak Mtn. St. park (south of Bham). Wanted to see TTT's firsthand. There were a good many at the gathering....homemade rigs and profesional ones, too. Thought they were all cool, but one rig's design just blew me away. The owners were Niel and Ramona from Ga.

I googled thier name and found it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47726343@N00/3386539428/

I like the design....Roof is only violated by the fan on the roof...less leak potential. He built a slide out galley. My galley will be smaller, but pop out the side like that. The whole thing is nicely rain protected under one pop up pavillion on the door side. Plus, when set up, the void where the galley is serves for temorary night storage.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sat May 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Woodstramp on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat May 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Woodstramp wrote:
Shadow Catcher wrote: Oh and buy the way you might just not want to say anything about the salvage of your wife :roll:

Just re-read a couple of posts and got to thinking that the comment may be taken in a way not intended. My "salvaged wife" comment was a feeble attempt at humor and not any kind of slight against the single best human being I've ever known. Not just talking....I mean that. She's pretty, smart (actual IQ tested genius level - three college degree with honors smart), tough (three spinal corrections and one brain surgery..still alive and kicking tough) and a rare human that is totally void of malice. "Salvaged" meaning she had another boyfriend when we met. In thirty years I've never figured why she chose the way she did. Just wanted to clear that from the get-go. If "salvaged" was taken as not intended in the post, then salvaging was what she did for me. That is a fact.

I found the humor in many of your comments, and now we know the rest of the story. Thanks for sharing your unique and fun perspective on life and little trailer building :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby xddorox » Sun May 15, 2011 8:45 am

I love what you are doing here as I try to be thrifty myself. I share your pain with the "free" workshop situation. :)
xddorox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ratkity » Sun May 15, 2011 10:18 am

I love the thriftiness of your build and totally got your humor about your wife! She's lucky to have a sweetie like you.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks for all the kind words since last update. Here's some more from this week.

Prepping inner walls...insulation, some wiring...

First experimental camp out night...Been working on this booger for two days...weather man says no rain/cool temps....wife says "Let's camp!....we add a full sized futon mattress, covers, her laptop, the pups. It was actually good R and D...glad we tried it out. Saw some things that need changing from "the Plan"..

The "Boys" came to greet us this morning. Note: they started the night in the camper with us, but got booted about 11:00....they barked at ever bug/bird sound as we were trying to sleep, so they went back in the house... See how quilty they look.

Note to self: Need a sound proof kennel or dog ear plugs in real world camping. :)

Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Sun May 22, 2011 10:33 am

Great progress so far! I know Neil and Ramona and even tho the sold the Hillbilly Hilton they would be flattered that you used theirs for inspiration.

Note to self: Need a sound proof kennel or dog ear plugs in real world camping.

I thought this was funny as my 2 pups are the opposite, when we're camping they actually behave and are more subdued unless other people come into the camping area.
Keep up the great work!

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sun May 22, 2011 11:05 am

Deleted
Last edited by Woodstramp on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Ratkity » Sun May 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Awwww, you two sound like a wonderful couple!!

Hugs,
Ratkity

:miriams:
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Sun May 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Cliff,

Hate to hear they sold it. Hillbilly Hilton...I'd forgotten the name. I wanted ours to be lower like his, but Sweety needed something taller. A semi-Standie.

Our dogs, the weeny dog in particular, are real protective....he sees boogeymen everywhere. My wife told me that weenies are actually considered one of the bravest breeds....hope we can socialize him more for camping. He's been once....he didn't enhance the experience. :)

Noticed your tagline....I'm Texan by birth, Alabamian by marriage. Coincidence.

Ratkitty,

I messed up and left this page up on the PC....noticed that Sweety found it. You can tell why I call her Sweety. She is.

Sweety,

Thanks for the kindness, but I'd like to leave this a more technical build journal. You little sneaker. 8)
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun May 22, 2011 10:16 pm

awkward.... :lol:
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Mon May 23, 2011 12:23 am

Standup,

Yep. :)

Got one more pic for this week's progress.

Found out how incredibly strong something can be when made of the flimsiest materials (3/16" Luan, 1" thick spruce ribs, screws/glue).....actually had to climb the first radiused section to put in the flat roof panelling/ribs...held my 230lb self, no problem. Called this pic "Luan Drum". That ceiling is tight as a drum. Even sounds like one.

Glad to have a ceiling now.

Woodstramp
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals