Doors Framed and Cut 10/26/11 pg 3

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Zboom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Well I was going to make up nd frame the walls as I go but decided to use plans instead. I got scared. I used Google Sketch Up (awesome by the way) and this was the first time I used it. Really wasnt that hard once I learned the orientation. I use a estimating program for work that is basically CAD oriented.

Check out the profile and let me know of you think it will work. I also included some of the outside dimensions as well. I believe this will accommodate the Jeep very well.

Here is the front. There is also a skylight on the top kind of over the door.

And here is a shot of the interior view. i didnt fully complete it but I think it looks good.

Cheers and Wreck em',

Michael
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Zboom » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Well I took a couple of days off to work on the trailer before I go out of town for a while for work. I used my sketch up diagram and laid out the lines for the profile using sketchup measurements. Here is a pic of the first wall.

I also came up with a name for the trailer. The Roaming Gnome! Its kind of catchy, hope its not taken :worship: Here is a pic of the gnome my wife and I are going to use on our travels once I but one.

The first wall took all day to plot, cut out and lay the frame around the perimiter. Measure each one 5 times before I rounded up the courage to cut it out. Once it was cut and framed I I placed it on the trailer frame and it matched perfectly. Since I really had no one to bring over to show off my accomplishment I sent pics to my dad, :) .

here are a couple of pics showing the first wall mocked up.

Once both walls were cut out i had to event the trailer out a lil bit with the help of my neighbor and we got both walls to match perfectly. By this time I was very impressed with myself. Here is a pic with both walls up.

The next day I hooked it up to the jeep ansd pulled it out of the garage so I could start applying stain and polyurethane. This was neat to have it outside of the garage bc I had 5 different neighbors stop by and see what I was up to and they complimented the design and work. The other crazy thing is I have lived in my neighborhood for almost 2 years and have never met this people before. Lots of head turns asd people were driving by as well. This really helps to keep you going forward. I ended up condition the baltic birch ply and then staining it with Cherry Minwax. I had no problems with blotching as I read up on staining Birch which proved to help. Here are couple of more pics.

So far i have 3 coats of poly on the birch and still think it needs to have another 1 or 2.

Today I started putting more spars in. I bought 1x12 #2 pinbe and ripped them down to 1x2's. I also blocked the front of the trailer to help give nailing for the interior skins. Here are a couple of pics.

Thanks for looking!!!
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby droid_ca » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:04 pm

This is going to be an Awesome Trailer love the name and the Gnome
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:18 pm

It is really looking great. Keep up the good work.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:39 pm

Looking good bud, need to get the "Roaming Gnome" painted on the side with A&M on one cheek and Bevo on the other :lol:. Your moving along great.

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Zboom » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Thanks Droid,the gnome definitely catches our impeccable sense of humor....

JSS thanks!

Cliff that's stood idea but I dont want to be looking for trouble with cows and fake cadets, lol....
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:24 am

Zboom -

You are not wasting any time. The profile looks excellent. Isn't it a good feeling to have the sidewalls up?

Zboom wrote:Cliff that's stood idea but I dont want to be looking for trouble with cows and fake cadets, lol....

Careful there - I still have my boots and sabre! :lol:

Gig'em, Tom :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby kinto » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:22 pm

looking great & you're moving fast!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

kent
:)
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby Zboom » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:28 pm

Tom,

I was waiting for you to chime in with the Aggy theme, lol.. It's sad this weekend will be the last meeting between us for a while! Thanks for the compliment on the profile, I'm very happy with it!

Kent,

Thank you too for the compliment. I'm trying to get as much done as possible as I will be traveling for work this weekend and then the whole month of Nov.

Cheers,

Michael
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Zboom » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:50 pm

Hey all, well i finally made it back from California so I thought i would work on the Gnome again. Over the weekend I installed the flooring. I purchased this laminate from the orange box over the weekend and began installing it. This was the cheapest flooring I could find that was laminate. I also installed a 6 mil sheet of plastic for an underlayment. Here a couple of pics of the flooring.

I have 2 pieces left of the laminate and then a full box. I can make the 2 pieces work without opening the other box, however if I do not open the other box i have nothing to go over the fender wells. Any one have any ideas of what i could do? I was thinking of just skinning it with the birch and have it the same as the walls.

I also got my fantastic-fan in today so I went out and framed it in for a mockup. These fans are sweet looking! Here are a couple of pics

Hopefully will get a little time this weekend in to work on her, but I have to meet my parents to install my grandpa's headstone. Thanks for looking and Cheers!

Michael
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:33 am

Michael,

The Gnome is looking great! I really like the flooring. As far as the wheel wells, I'd probably just go with paint. No need to spend the bucks on another box when you are only going to use a few pieces of it. ( :x For some reason, doesn't it always work out that way.) I think you'll love that fantastic fan. They are a nice bit of engineering and work great.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:42 am

Nice Build :thumbsup: My question is, why did you use cleats instead of a single strip when joining the wall pieces together??
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:58 am

I like the shape... Sometimes I think I should build a TTT thats more aerodynamic, better mpg's Im sure lol
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby droid_ca » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:26 pm

if you open the other box could you build a tongue box or shelves or cutting boards or table tops that would all match the trailer?
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Zboom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:11 pm

aggie79: As far as the wheel wells, I'd probably just go with paint. No need to spend the bucks on another box when you are only going to use a few pieces of it.

droid_ca: if you open the other box could you build a tongue box or shelves or cutting boards or table tops that would all match the trailer?

thanks for the compliments guys and the suggestions. My wife and i sat there and stared at the wheels wells for a while. We both decided not to open the box and take it back so I could get some aluminum angle to trim the belly box. We decided since we are going to have a lot of scrap birch due to the over size width that we would just skin it to match. As for shelving or butcher block this stuff is beyond cheap and would probably get scratched to pieces and look terrible after a while

starleen2: Nice Build My question is, why did you use cleats instead of a single strip when joining the wall pieces together??.

I don't want to lie but I have no idea why I did it that way. i would have liked to have rabbited instaed but the ply is 1/4 inch and expensive so I didnt want to try. i think the 1/4 ply i used as a cleat I had sitting around and was the first thing I saw. When I frame it out it will have addt'l support and I will use a batten on the interior to hide the seam.

Deryk the Pirate: I like the shape... Sometimes I think I should build a TTT thats more aerodynamic, better mpg's Im sure lol

;) Thanks Deryk.... i have watched both Vardos come along and they look great. I think my somewhat aerodynamic shape will be canceled out by the cinder block shaped Jeep that will tow the Gnome, lol. I am all for using gas though so I doent bother me :D
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals