Lance and Becky's Sagwagon

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Lance and Becky's Sagwagon

Postby Vedette » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Just started cruising the Build Journals.
Was too busy with ours before.
Your project looks great!
Did I miss the "Fenders" part or have you planned that yet??
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:26 pm

I'll be ordering the fenders this week probably.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:26 am

I did notice during my reading of your journal, that you decided not to have DC power.
That suprised me. DC is so easy?? I plan to use DC as my main power and use the AC only when we are camping where power is easily obtained.
Just asking???
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:29 am

Vedette wrote:I did notice during my reading of your journal, that you decided not to have DC power.
That suprised me. DC is so easy?? I plan to use DC as my main power and use the AC only when we are camping where power is easily obtained.
Just asking???
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

To say DC is easy is relative to your knowledge and experience. That being said though, I had an electrician friend that had volunteered to help me so my decision was really based on other factors in the end. This is kind of long winded, but here's our logic (maybe this will give some food for thought to others struggling with the same question.)

From the beginning of the build Lance and I had decided to keep all systems as simple as possible as long as all basic needs are met, so there were only 3 things I wanted to operate with DC in the first place, the roof fan, 2 cabin lights and a stereo. The stereo was optional from the beginning as it is my experience that unless you are camping somewhere away from other people, most people in the campground probably don't want to hear your music anyway and since we'll only be inside to sleep, it didn't seem that important in there either. (And that's why God made iPods.)
:)

Now we're down to 2 things, lights and fan.

For outdoor lighting we have 2 Coleman lanterns that we're looking forward to using (this is camping after all). We have numerous LED stick up lights, flashlights and lanterns that will supply any other light we need, inside and out. If we want to leave a light outside at night a solar walkway light would serve just fine.

Now we're down to one thing, the fan. :fan:

So, for the sake of a fan I just didn't think the cost difference between a plain vent and one with a fan, a battery, charger, converter, wiring, , and all the rest were justified. Not to mention the weight and the space required for all the above mentioned items. The lack of the fan will be no problem for spring, fall or high elevation camping. We do have a roof vent and 2 doors with opening windows/screens. The only discomfort will arise in the dead of summer. We will have AC power though so we have the option of going to a campsite with electricity and carrying with us a small AC operated fan for the night time.

Most other conveniences we might consider carrying (I can only think of 2 offhand, a microwave and a coffee maker) would operate on AC anyway. I don't really see us carrying a television, but if we decided to do so ditto for that. The only other need for power I see is cell phone or laptop charging and if we're traveling those can be done in the car.

I will admit sometimes I look at other's campers wired for sound, air conditioning, disco lights and big screen and I drool just a tiny bit. But that's not for us. We plan to spend our days biking, hiking, kayaking or exploring, our evenings talking around a campfire and sleeping, so our needs are pretty simple.
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Heifer Boy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:08 am

You summed it all up in just 5 words -

"this is camping after all"

A lot of people forget this. The idea is to get away from the stresses and constraints of normal life occasionally and keeping it simple helps achieve this.

Hear, hear!! :applause:
Heifer Boy
Teardrop Builder

Postby LDK » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Becky

It has been awhile since I've been to your thread and all i can say is WOW!! You and Lance are doing a great job!! Since you're not using DC for your electrical, you don't have to lug a heavy battery around now. :thumbsup: In the critter I have AC and DC but I also have a propane lantern and a led lantern for back up lighting. I like those factory doors you're using and if I build another one (which is a good possibility), I'll go that route too. Heck if I build another one it'll be at least 5 wide, 2 doors, no front cabinets and either a partial or no galley. If I ever build another one it will have more interior room to please my Becky. :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby pappaw » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:37 am

very Nice! :thumbsup:

Cheers :beer:
Image Cheers from Granny, Pappaw, and Cocoa (the Dachshund) Image
pappaw
Teardrop Master

Postby Forrest747 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:49 am

Great just great I was soooo looking forward to teh disco ball portion of your build. and you will use DC voltage You will use DC voltage You will us.... SMACK SLAP Ouch you didnt have to hit me. :?

Build what you want and know it is yours and when it comes to pass it down they can add the DC voltage if they want. there are enough options that really you do what you want.

I was thinking stereo and have one but then i think it will lose all its settings and really do i want to figure that out each time. just easy enough to hook up portable speakers to the ipod. plus your going camping to spend time outdoors. not spend all your time inside doing non outdoors stuff.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Very high-quality build, Becky, Congrats!

I've read most of the posts in this thread and looked at all the pics... thanks for taking the time to post it all!

I missed, however, the source for your two side doors. I'm going back and forth between using the falloff or buying pre-made. I do like the small corner radii, definately.

Thanks again.

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Thanks Pappaw!! a thumbs up is always appreciated.

Sorry to deprive you of the disco ball, Forrest. Maybe I can rig up some kind of mechanism to make my Coleman lanterns rotate around. :lol:

teardrop_focus, I got my doors from Frank Bear at Vintage Technologies. You can visit his website at [url]teardroptrailerparts.com[/url] or you can find the doors on eBay. They cost the same either way and he doesn't charge shipping on the doors. Now, if only he sold pre-made hatches!!
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby cop1406 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:35 pm

I really had a hard time deciding on doors. I like the way the doors look when they match the wooden side ( I am building a woodie) but the prefab doors look so much easier. I decided to build my doors but the cutout is smaller than the prefab doors so if I hate the doors I build, I can just cut the hole bigger and add the prefab doors. :thumbsup:
cop1406
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:18 pm

cop1406 wrote: I decided to build my doors but the cutout is smaller than the prefab doors so if I hate the doors I build, I can just cut the hole bigger and add the prefab doors.

Very clever plan!!
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Lance and Becky's Sagwagon - Primed

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:53 pm

This will be a mini progress report. I haven't really updated in a few weeks, but I have been working on the teardrop regularly. Some things just weren't picture worthy and other days I was too tired when I finished.

Last weekend I spent 3 full days sanding, wiping, filling, fairing, more sanding, more wiping, and do it all over again. Like Paul Arnold, I just didn't think anyone would care to see pictures of me sanding. Three long days of that to get something this dull and homely.

Tonight I put on the second coat of primer.

I enjoy painting with a roller, but I'm not that great with a brush. Lance is much better at it and likes to do it so I was happy to have his help.

The imperfections in the hull were more obvious after this second coat of primer. Nothing that I will lose any sleep over, but imperfect nonetheless. I will probably just roll on my paint rather than roll and tip. I'm afraid that tipping it off for that mirror finish will just make the flaws that much more obvious. A tiny bit of texture in the paint (not heavy orange peel, just not mirror smooth) might help to camaflouge a bit.

I have other parts of the build underway also, and I will post them separately over the next few days. I am on vacation this week and if the heat doesn't do me in, I hope to devote most of the week to the teardrop. We have made reservations for our first Tearjerker gathering for the weekend of September 28 so I have put a little bit of pressure on myself by creating a deadline now.
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Becky, I doubt that those small imperfections in the "hull" will ever be noticed by anyone but yourself. ;)

Enjoying watching your build and have found it inspiring. I must learn fiber-glassing now, I'm convinced it is the superior finish for what we want in a camper. Keep up the great work!
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:36 pm

:thumbsup: Nice! Keep going! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals