Cross Bow / trolley / renamed little blue trolley

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Cross Bow

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Plexiglass looks great inside too. only thing is I get to look at more often then you!! 8)

this is all you will see 116976

I realize as I work at attaching the roof beams I may not be able to glue them as well, more spot glue. but I will be stapling them to the roof. The hard part would be gluing the beams, putting on the roof, putting on the trolley, attaching the beams to the trolley with out the glue drying out. So spot gluing make more sense. :roll:

I stopped for the day with two beams attached and two to go. I am adding a smaller one between the mid beam and the hatch beam for added support. :thumbsup:

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:55 pm

Beams attached next to attache the roof to the beams.

I plan as I said before spot glue and staple with an air stapler.

Then drill holes in roof where wires will go through for clearance and stope lights.

I am starting to work on support boards for the wall where the saddle bag deck and other supports will have more to drill into then just the walls.

I am working on a way that I can get at the batteries from the deck via a small hatch in the deck.

after the roof is attache I will attache the cross bars for the top of the trolley and the vent area's Then I can cut and attach the Trolley Roof.

I plan to buy my other wall and inside walls soon and roof.

I just ralized to put in the cabin roof in first before attaching the walls. I will need to measure the distance from the side to the beginning of the trolley base. Then cut it, and clamp the roof to the upper side bars as seen here.
then use support bars running between the floor and the roof to hold it up while I staple it in place.
tried to find picture of vertical support sticks but failed.

anyway when i get there I will take photo's

ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:30 pm

THE ROOF IS NOW ATTACHED :dancing:

The trolley is attached to the roof beams, and the vent skirt has been attached, and some of the ribbing for the trolly has been attached. 8)

117185 117184

The front of the bow for the trailer has to be cut down a little and there are gaps between wall and roof and trolley and roof that will need to be mended is some way.

It feels good.

I am now working on reinforcement for the side saddles inside the wall. will need to see that wires go the next step for roof brake lights and such. I will also need to make sure the wires for the trolley are put through too.

it is time to buy that other wall and move to the next level.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:26 am

:cry: :roll: :rainy: We need the rain but I can not get my other side until it stops raining and things dry off a little.

I have many other thing to do in the mean time. the roof is not exact where it meets the front Bow so I will need to cut a small pc to cover the holes.

I am starting to draw the doors. I want to get the same windows as I had on the Box Kite but I am looking at make my own. Flip of the coin if I go with my design it will take longer and may not work and I will have to back up. If I go with the same ones I will have something tested and tried out. I am thinking I could make the window before the door and then see if I can make two alike!
I am thinking of doing a triangle window with the flat side on top and the point at the bottom. I would be with deep sides make it hard for someone or animal to pry forward. At the 2013 antique Trailer show in Pismo there was a trailer that offered windows that were fun and simple. I am down loading them now and it will be on my album soon.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:38 am

Here is the trailer with the windows. I was more interested on how they opened and closed.
117291 117292117293
below is where it goes through the screen you can see little sheet metal corners with holes in the center for the arms to slide in and out of.
Below you can see once inside they simply fold toward the center and a simple ring or clip could keep them locked.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:51 am

When working on the roof I sand up through the trolley because it's roof is not on yet and I can work on the roof where I needed to fill some hole because of a bad cutting job. When I was standing up i hit the trolley side and it moved. :shock: I had to stop and think ..... :thinking: then it hit me I only attached the trolley to the studs and not the mane frame of the main body of the trailer. :lol:

So today I pulled out the air stapler and some long nails and ran 4 nails in on each side. I painted some more parts to the vent.

I also put in the galley hinge with 2 screws and put up the one side so I could mark where the hinge went at the top of the hatch and put a pc of wood simulating the upper cross bar for the hatch top. I learned better how the hatch would open and what spaces were needed.

Then it was time to go to work.

will try and get some photo's in wed.

Ron :thumbsup:
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:26 am

:thumbsup: Looking good Ron!
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:17 am

Reality sets in :disappointed: I realized today that the saddle bags will get skipped for now. I will work on the doors and the hatch next. Get the trailer travel lights in and take it in to be licensed. Then what ever stage the trailer is in I can still pull it to the IRG. :vroom:

So once licensed, the next step above what the BoxKite did not have can be addressed. The inside walls can be pulled back out, I can cut out those areas of the outside wall that are needed for the saddle storage and batteries. put the inside walls back in and start constructing the galley, and the cabin storage. And if I run out of time I can bring parts with me to finish there. :thumbsup:

It is the order of things.
!. A basic trailer
2. with batteries
3. working galley
4. Living room with furniture.
5. music, and other special effects.

But we may need to take it camping so we know better what goes where. :picnic:

I am still working on where the spare tire goes. That swing out tire table sure sounds good. 8)

Yesterday I planned to spend all day working on the trailer. But instead had to go 80 miles south and get a new small battery installed in our Prius. Ran so late I could not make it to HF to see what other neat tools I could find to use on my build. $300 made me realize i did not want to spend any more money then. $199 battery, $52 install, needed a new air filter, and also bought a new cabin filter too.
I did get a little work done on the trailer too :applause:

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:57 pm

Yesterday, I got the front top of the bow covered with a thin pc of luan which fit the curve perfectly. :thumbsup:

I also put a little ledge in on the front of the trolley. I stripped the wires for the trolley light connection and mounted them to a barrier strip. hidden so on inspection only a shelf will be seen. I will do the same at the back for the fan electrical. :twisted:

My neighbor down the street is changing his insides of his house and I get the oak wall strips, which I am using on my trailer. I used them for part of the above ledge. :shake hands:

I am working on the vent, I have the inside vent plate and most of the parts all i am missing is a decorative cover for the grill to be seen from the back.

I will try and go out and get some photo's of what I have done so far. :snappy:

I hope to have the walls by next wk.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:13 pm

I uncovered my truck that I rarely drive, do it's low gas milage at $5 a gal. :cry:

I drove it to HD and the 4x8's I needed. :applause: I had to go through many sheets before I found ones except-able. For the hatch I will be going to place that Steve B. suggested. I went there once but they are closed on wkends.

Now I have the other wall and the two inside walls. I also have enough to make the inside roof too. :designing:

I found a decorative pc for the grill for the vent but I put it back when I found the price was 3 times the price I would have paid. So I will keep looking for that. $>

I took some shots of the vent as I get it closer and closer to working. I need to down load them and get them posted. :pictures:

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:25 am

I am playing around with what screen to put in this is just an example:
with out the screen looks like this
and the vent hatch looks like this before hinge and other add on's and of course plastic protecter removed.
a wire will come below this so I can attach the fan.

I run through the build in my mind just before I get up. To day I got up at 6am to right down stuff I might forget later. Set put for cabinet at head of trailer, how I plan to mount the trailer clearance wires, and what I saw in a flat bed trailer used to tie down purchased by a guy at Costco. His trailer had a wheel well cage that sat next to the wheel that could be pulled out quickly if needed. I need to get one of those phones with a camera. (I have the old flip phone)
Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:45 am

Before I got my Hatch Hinge, I wrote Grant and asked him how do I keep the hinge from sliding.
Grant said use a set screw. and included the below picture
Photo posted with Grants permission
I wrote back and said how does it open and close
Grant sent me this picture
Photo posted with Grants permission
and said you cut out a notch in the lower half of the hinge. :thumbsup:

Thanks Grant
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:30 pm

cut the walls down to fit inside had to cut them down to 44 1/2 in. I also had to cut a little notch out in one corner to make it fit in.

I now have all sides ready to be cut for the galley. I have to really think this through. got 3 sheets ready then found I had it all backward and had to turn one and flip 2 and then turn them all together. Then took the main one set it back up on the trailer so I knew what I was cutting. How ever I did not see the garage door opening drive and hit my head bounced back bounced off the siding and cut my brow. Time for a Time Out. and with that I fell a sleep just now........... :NC May do the cut tomorrow I got up at crack of dawn 6am to 1pm some on the net but most on the job almost stopped for lunch but had to find things out and that it when I hit my head almost my eye! :oops: :?

While I am at it.... Speaker wire I have some speakers I have never used. should I install them or try to go with wifi. :QM But then would I be picking up music from some one in the next trailer?

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:18 am

I was busy yesterday, I had put the sides under the trailer with much work. In order to pull them out I decided to hook up the trailer. :thinking: hmmm I had to use a car jack, it was toooooo low for the trailer jack. anyway got it hitched at took out the camera and shot away. see below..... :thumbsup:

The below shots are with the boxkite the door open on the boxkite is the same size as the crossbow so it I do run out of time I can just have a dark blue door.

tha tha tha that's all folks for now.

I got the sides cut had to really think about what went where I still goofed up the inside cut but I already had a back up plan.

My wife found a free table on one of her walks and I was able to use it to help me cut. But I will soon be needing a construction table for the galley. :wine:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59191
Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:39 am

:applause: You're getting there, Ron. It's looking good!

For my construction table, I bolted three 2x4's to two saw horses and put it crosswise behind the trailer in the garage. It worked great and there was still room to move around. Having the openness that the 2x4's provided gave plenty of support yet made it easy to clamp various things down as needed. My vehicle was parked on the other side of the garage and I simply backed that out of the garage whenever I wanted to work on the trailer.

I'm looking forward to seeing your creation at one of the gatherings, even if it isn't finished. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals