CapeBuild Build Journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CapeBuild Build Journal

Postby bdosborn » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:50 am

MickinOz wrote:Fortunately, I was able to give him to a farmer, didn't have to chop his head off.

The dog? :shock: ;)

Our chickens are 8 years old and we're down to two; F and C. K was killed by a hawk a few years back. We still get eggs every now and then.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:57 pm

bdosborn wrote:
MickinOz wrote:Fortunately, I was able to give him to a farmer, didn't have to chop his head off.

The dog? :shock: ;)

Our chickens are 8 years old and we're down to two; F and C. K was killed by a hawk a few years back. We still get eggs every now and then.

Bruce

HaHa. No the rooster. Still got the dog. Hawk attacks aren't so very prevalent here now. The dog rushes to investigate every little squawk and kerfuffle. The hawks have to be darned quick.
We did lose one earlier this summer which I think a hawk got.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Capebuild » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:40 pm

Starting to think (and prepare) about the front curved window and the curved window for the hatch. I had planned on using polycarbonate but have since changed my mind and will use cast acrylic (for various reasons).

I had built a form to use to drape form the plastic.
form.jpg
form.jpg (441.12 KiB) Viewed 533 times

It was nice and flat when I built it last week, but has since developed some slight sagging between the supports. Quite a drag. I can try and fill it in with bondo and try to sculpt it back to flat.... or maybe put a sheet of aluminum over the curve on the trailer and drape the plastic over that. Still thinking about it.

Also, I had planned on using a local powder coater's oven to heat the plastic and do the draping. But, I think I'd like to be able to have more control of the situation, and will build "an oven" to heat the plastic here at my workshop. Scored a free Weber grill on local Craig'slist, will slice/dice it up and build an insulated box over the burners. Will see how that turns out. Just need to get it up to 300°.
stove new.jpg
stove new.jpg (268.89 KiB) Viewed 533 times

stove chopped.jpg
stove chopped.jpg (222.8 KiB) Viewed 533 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:46 pm

Well, this is a new trick I haven't seen before. Very interesting!
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:18 pm

:shock:

Tony :frightened:

p.s. If it were anyone other than you...
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:40 am

THANK YOU Ed Roth and Ian Roussel ;-)

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:55 pm

Wow, I saw "Ed Roth" and had a sudden flashback vision of the Rat Fink. :lol:
Had to Google the other guy,,,,never heard of him before.
Rat Fink.JPG
Rat Fink.JPG (16.8 KiB) Viewed 467 times

I seem to remember Ed Roth "blew" a clear perspex dome lid for a car in a pizza oven?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Capebuild » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:39 pm

I loved the "big daddy" growing up. I must have assembled every monster hot rod model that was produced. Purple and lime green were the colors of the day. Ian Roussel had built an oven for heating clear plastic. There's a video on YouTube of him making a dome. Also been looking at Chad Hiltz. His car builds are beautiful. Very cartoony looking .... and beautiful.

Building (shaping) car bodies looks like a lot of fun :thinking: Maybe a next project
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:51 pm

Gee... seems like it's been a while since I've posted any updates. I'm really waiting for the weather to warm up. Need a few 65° days to use the contact cement to install the aluminum, which is what's next up on the schedule....today was 52° so spring is on the way. I did travel to a new sign shop supplier to get a sheet of cast acrylic to heat bend for the windows. This sign shop supplier I found was great. Lots of inventory of different products. Huge warehouse. Wish I had found them before I purchased the aluminum months ago (which, by the way, has really jumped in price so guess I should be glad I got it when I did). I did get a 4x8 sheet of ACM (aluminum composite material) at this new place for some exterior moldings. It has 2 layers of .012 aluminum on both sides with a sheet of polyethylene trapped between the 2 aluminum layers. 3mm thick. Also comes in 6mm. For exterior use. Lightweight and tough. It comes in 5x10 sheets also...... and if I ever built another teardrop I'd consider using this for the sidewalls.

I did start on building the oven to bend the acrylic. Some shots attached. So far the grill was free and the plywood (seems like OSB underlayment) was a also a freebee. Purchased the angle iron and some flat stock for the skeleton to hold the OSB. I also purchased a roll of reflective heat film. I also have some Calcium Silicate blanket I'll use for insulation. It's too bad I'll just wind up only bending 2 pieces of acrylic with all the work to build the oven. Guess I should bend a couple of extra pieces in case needed. Tomorrow I'll weld the uprights and top structure. Hopefully won't burn the shop down.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (204.51 KiB) Viewed 386 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (299.89 KiB) Viewed 386 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (187.3 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:28 am

Good to see your current progress John.
Just the other day I said to my wife, I wonder how Johns Cape Build is going.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Capebuild » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:35 am

Good to hear from you, Danny.

Got a bit more done yesterday on the "oven". I was concerned about the weight distribution (actually the weight of the structure sitting on top of the original grill structure) but it turns out it's not bad......and once I added the angled supports, it's all pretty solid. Think today I'll start installing the insulation and reflective material on the surfaces that are there. Might be a bit easier than trying to lean in there on a ladder if all the walls are up. And need to cut out for an access door.
Once everything is installed I'll have to see how the baffle performs....as in trying to eliminate any hot spots and making sure heat is evenly distributed. May have to add some through holes.
Thanks for looking.

John
EDIT: I should have added if anyone has any experience with distributing heat via a baffle of some variety, I’d be very interested in hearing your thoughts. I don’t really have experience with this and am just going on my gut.
Thanks!
Attachments
oven_3.8.22.jpg
oven_3.8.22.jpg (209.61 KiB) Viewed 322 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:06 pm

Sharing some progress photos for the "oven" I'm building to bend the acrylic for the windows. Almost done. Just need to install the insulated top ply sheets and wrap with reflective foil. Ran out of adhesive backed foil tape.... so all will have to wait a few days to finish. The walls are composed of an OSB panel, with an insulation layer and a foil layer. Will need to get the oven to 300°F and heat acrylic for 15 minutes to 30 minutes.... or more. The suspended rack will hold a sheet of masonite wrapped in felt and the acrylic will sit on that to heat up. A big experiment at this point.

John
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 7.46.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 7.46.09 PM.png (620.78 KiB) Viewed 297 times
grill to hold sheet.jpg
grill to hold sheet.jpg (212.37 KiB) Viewed 297 times
oven.jpg
oven.jpg (423.8 KiB) Viewed 297 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:06 pm

Holy cats! That's quite the rig! Can't wait to see the results.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:49 am

John, if this is a successful oven build you will surely increase the number of homebuilt TDs with curvy windows. And that's a good thing.

:thumbsup:
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:23 pm

I like the Baffle,
Moving that sheet in a noodle stage on the rack "may or will" be a challenge, if it doesn't sag.
My 2 cent's, I would try to use the advantage of the burner's one end to the other.
Get the sharper Radius to go first, lay down straight & flat on a form.
When it starts to move go slow, it takes a long time to start but when it starts it's fast and crazy.

Mick's neighbor used that thin aluminum sign board on his first build and it was fast.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals