Compact family camper Build - Always something...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Compact family camper Build - First Damage...

Postby ryuandwings » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:11 am

S. Heisley wrote::shock: I'm so sorry that this happened! The first ding or gouge or.... is always the hardest; but, since you built it yourself, it will be easier to figure out how to fix it. You've gotten some really good answers already. I am certain that you'll have it looking good as new and acting even better than new, soon.

You are right about easier to fix. I know where are supports in walls are so I know where I can and cannot attach screws. I should have less chance of making this repair any worse. 8)
With all the suggestions I got, I think I have a plan to attack the repair. :twisted:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby ryuandwings » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:16 am

tony.latham wrote:DOUBLE OUCH!

I'm under the impression that Dexter axles with a 22.5º down angle need 3" of room to move. I don't know where I came up with that number but I know that it was after my first build. Why am I so sure of that timeline? Becuase I had to re-attach my fenders twice. That's right; twice. :x

Nobody will ever see those holes unless you point them out.

T

Ouch, twice!? :shock: I hope I can get it right the next time... :worship:
My approach to this build has been, "how well can I hide my oops". So any mishaps are not too obvious, then I'm ok with that. 8)
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:17 am

You'll get a nut sent tool off ebay cheap..I did.you just won't pull the big sizes with a cheap tool
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dales133 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:19 am

ryuandwings wrote:
tony.latham wrote:DOUBLE OUCH!

I'm under the impression that Dexter axles with a 22.5º down angle need 3" of room to move. I don't know where I came up with that number but I know that it was after my first build. Why am I so sure of that timeline? Becuase I had to re-attach my fenders twice. That's right; twice. :x

Nobody will ever see those holes unless you point them out.

T

Ouch, twice!? :shock: I hope I can get it right the next time... :worship:
My approach to this build has been, "how well can I hide my oops". So any mishaps are not too obvious, then I'm ok with that. 8)

We've all made oppses and I will continue to until it's finished.
Like you said it's knowing how to fix them and hoping they arnt to big!
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby ryuandwings » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:26 pm

dales133 wrote:You'll get a nut sent tool off ebay cheap..I did.you just won't pull the big sizes with a cheap tool

I looked some YouTube videos and there are some ways people doing without tools. I might order some to try. :D
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:32 pm

I've tried doing it without a tool before I got mine but one problem that can occur is instability while tightening them up using the bolt method can lead to bending the material it's going through or not getting it tight enough and having it stuck half crimped
I definatly wouldn't try this method with steel or stainless steel ones you may get away with it on aluminium rivnut but don't say I didn't warn you:).
You could easily do more harm than good IMHO
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby ryuandwings » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:19 pm

dales133 wrote:I've tried doing it without a tool before I got mine but one problem that can occur is instability while tightening them up using the bolt method can lead to bending the material it's going through or not getting it tight enough and having it stuck half crimped
I definatly wouldn't try this method with steel or stainless steel ones you may get away with it on aluminium rivnut but don't say I didn't warn you:).
You could easily do more harm than good IMHO

I wouldn't try for real without practices. :o
I don't think I'll try nutsert for the fender repair, but that could be useful for some future applications. 8)
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Re: Compact family camper Build - Fender repair.

Postby ryuandwings » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:29 pm

Well, I'm back from business trip and started looking at the fender repair.

I taped peices of 2x4s on its side. This would space fenders 3.5" from tires. This would make 2.75" from tire to bracket nuts.

This will raise about an inch or so.
This shows original hole and new bracket location at rear.

This is at front.

This how it would look.

I had to widen the fender a little to fit it at higher location, but I think it doesn't look too bad. I may raise anothe 1/2" or so to be sure.
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby RRJR » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:19 pm

Sorry for your troubles. I can relate to this as many times my first attempt didn't work out the way I wanted.

This is only my opinion and I'm more than likely wrong, but looking at your pictures, I don't think your problem is the clearance between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender. It looks more like a tire sidewall clearance issue.

If you took the wheels off the axle you could look at the tire sidewall and see exactly where it made contact.

The way the fender brackets angle back towards the tire, even if you space the bottom of the fender 3.5 inches from the top of the tire the bolt head for the bracket to cabin connection is moved very little from its original location.

If you could somehow counter sink the bracket into the sidewall of the body it would give you more clearance. But then you would have to drill new holes through the top of the fender or get longer brackets.
RRJR
Teardrop Builder

Postby ryuandwings » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:55 pm

RRJR wrote:Sorry for your troubles. I can relate to this as many times my first attempt didn't work out the way I wanted.

This is only my opinion and I'm more than likely wrong, but looking at your pictures, I don't think your problem is the clearance between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender. It looks more like a tire sidewall clearance issue.

If you took the wheels off the axle you could look at the tire sidewall and see exactly where it made contact.

The way the fender brackets angle back towards the tire, even if you space the bottom of the fender 3.5 inches from the top of the tire the bolt head for the bracket to cabin connection is moved very little from its original location.

If you could somehow counter sink the bracket into the sidewall of the body it would give you more clearance. But then you would have to drill new holes through the top of the fender or get longer brackets.

RRJR, you are completely correct! :applause: I just checked and there are marks on the side wall of tire. :cry:

Now for the fix, I need to shorten the leg of bracket that turns along the wall.
If I space the fender and tire 3.5" and shorten the brackets, it appears to have enough space between tire and bolt on the wall. :thinking:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby RRJR » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:23 pm

Knowing what caused the problem sure makes finding a solution so much easier. Glad I was able to help.

Shortening the bracket would be my 1st idea also, but I'm not sure that short of a bracket would give the fender enough support.

Maybe you could get a 1/2 inch wheel spacer to put between the wheel and the axle hub that would move the inner sidewall of the tire out away from the bracket enough to solve the clearance problem.

RRJR
Teardrop Builder

Postby dales133 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:52 pm

I was just about to suggest a spacer...x2
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby ryuandwings » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:25 am

Those spacers work great, add space between walls and tires perfectly. How do I know?
I'm already using... :R

I may be able to buy another spacer that are thicker, but I guess I'll try bracket fix first before I spend more money. 8)
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby RRJR » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:38 am

If it was me and I was going to use that short of a bracket, I would drill holes in the inner lip of the fender and add some extra screws into the side of the body. Dip the screws in some 2 part epoxy or gorilla glue so they stay put.

Another way to go would be to make new brackets out of the diamond plate material and mount them on the top of the fender with the 90 degree bend going away from the tire. With the other diamond plate on the side of the body the brackets would blend right in. Not an ideal solution, but it would work.
RRJR
Teardrop Builder

Postby capnTelescope » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:39 pm

Aesthetically, I think I'd use round-headed screws/bolts rather than the hex heads shown in your picture. Think carriage bolts only with screwdriver slot in the head. Just my taste preference and $0.02.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals