Where or When Jr. --Paint & New Tow Vehicle--update 5/17/15

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby myoung » Wed May 04, 2011 11:15 am

I found that the gap between the outside wall and the condenser fins is nearly an inch. So, I added a piece of 3/4-inch thick poplar between the two in the hope that this will improve the air flow over the fins a bit.

Also, I measured the space between the top of the fridge to the underside of the box in which it sit to be about 1-3/4 inches. As long as the air is flowing upward, I don't see that it would matter whether it went over the top of the fridge (except that if the air were too hot it might make the top of the fridge hot enough to warm the inside of the fridge a wee bit) or up and out the grill. Perhaps, I'm wrong about this and should close the gap here too.

Right now I have turned on the gas mode to test the cooling again. More to follow.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby fromeo » Wed May 04, 2011 12:00 pm

myoung wrote:I found that the gap between the outside wall and the condenser fins is nearly an inch. So, I added a piece of 3/4-inch thick poplar between the two in the hope that this will improve the air flow over the fins a bit.

Also, I measured the space between the top of the fridge to the underside of the box in which it sit to be about 1-3/4 inches. As long as the air is flowing upward, I don't see that it would matter whether it went over the top of the fridge (except that if the air were too hot it might make the top of the fridge hot enough to warm the inside of the fridge a wee bit) or up and out the grill. Perhaps, I'm wrong about this and should close the gap here too.

Right now I have turned on the gas mode to test the cooling again. More to follow.

Mike, that 1 3/4" gap could certainly be an issue. I'm no aerodynamic engineer, but maybe the gap causes turbulence? Regardless, filling a gap over an RV refer for a friend made the difference betweeen 50* and 30* fridge temps. It was a bit larger gap (maybe 4"), but I would guess the principle applies.

BTW, your enclosure looks good from what I can see in the pics. Much better than the commerical installations I've seen/fixed. You'll get it nailed.

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby myoung » Wed May 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Well, Frank, the gas mode test today was a bust. I'll put a baffle over the gap between the top of the fridge and the enclosure tomorrow and hope for some improvement. I got over 90 today, but still there wasn't any noticeable cooling in the fridge but the stack above the flame was warm.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Awesome Build

Postby whtknight » Mon May 09, 2011 1:47 pm

This build came out great... I'm sure you will get the fridge issue fixed. If worse comes to worse.. replace it... :cry:
whtknight
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:11 pm

When will we see fabric? :D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby myoung » Mon May 09, 2011 3:24 pm

We're going on trips to Europe, Chicago, and Canada thru August so I don't expect to finish the fabric until the Fall. It's nice wide open in good, insect-free weather, however, so I'm okay with it just as it is.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Re: Awesome Build

Postby myoung » Mon May 09, 2011 11:50 pm

whtknight wrote:This build came out great... I'm sure you will get the fridge issue fixed. If worse comes to worse.. replace it... :cry:

I do have a small ice chest to put inside the fridge that will serve as another layer of insulation. Not an ideal situation, but one that should work while boondocking. When I know that AC will be available, then the fridge can work as intended.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby myoung » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:19 pm

It's been a while since the last update because we've been away on vacation for three weeks. Now, I'm back to working on a long punch list of items, mostly small, to get closer to a finished trailer.

I cut 5 links off each of the chains connecting the trailer to the tow vehicle. Relocated two latches for the cargo doors and adjusted the keyed locks to tighten the door closure. Fabricated a trim strip between the interior front of the roof and the sloped front face to cover the gap between the two. Installed a shelf in the tongue box with some eye bolts for tie downs. Replace latches on cabinet drawers and doors because the magnetic ones just didn't do the job. Filled a bunch of screw and nail holes on the interior trim pieces.

One of the big jobs, which turned out to be quite easy to do, was to install flooring. I decided to use half-inch thick interlocking foam rubber pieces laid on the plywood floor without adhesive. The minimum order was so large that I now have half remaining in the event any of these pieces ever need replacement.

The price was very reasonable at about $80 including shipping. The red color adds a nice pop of color to the trailer.

Since I had more than enough material for the floor, I extended the surface to a few other places. Here is a piece under the Porta-Potti.

This space is a storage compartment just inside the door and beneath the gaucho. You can also see another little punch list item in this photo, a latch to hold the gaucho in place while driving.

This space in the rear of the trailer also received the flooring treatment. Again, another latch for the gaucho can be seen in this photo.

The pantry is now more useable with the addition of a couple of wire racks.

Lastly, I added two more strips along the roof beneath the side lips of the pop top. The gap between the pop top lip and the roof is a half inch for most of its length although I had intended it to be 3/4-inch. Rather than put weather stripping in the gap, I decided to put a half-inch piece of poplar that obviates the need for weather stripping.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:24 pm

I like the red resilient flooring. Perfect for a trailer application. Nice to see something a little different. I know you are in the Southwest where it is usually dry, but I wonder about the inner strip around your roof opening and then another strip outside of that. Seems like it could present a water trap of sorts in a heavy rain.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby myoung » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:04 pm

StandUpGuy wrote:I like the red resilient flooring. Perfect for a trailer application. Nice to see something a little different. I know you are in the Southwest where it is usually dry, but I wonder about the inner strip around your roof opening and then another strip outside of that. Seems like it could present a water trap of sorts in a heavy rain.

Rain? What rain? The last two years the total rainfall has been less than 13 inches total.

Seriously, I don't think it will be much of an issue because when retracted, the roof will have the outer lip than is pretty well sealed against the pop top lip and the fabric will provide some additional protection. I won't leave the top up in the rain. Time will tell.

I installed the flooring with a very tight fit all around. I didn't expect the tiles to expand as the temps rose. Interesting. I may have to relieve the perimeter to make sure that the floor lies flat in all weather.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:03 am

Glad you are back, Mike! :thumbsup:

and, I like the red floor too! ;)
Last edited by Cliffmeister2000 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:59 am

Very nice Mike! Glad to see more progress on your When or Where.

I used the same flooring in the bottom of my teardrop. It was installed in the winter and when summer came around I too had some buckling due to expansion. I don't know the term for it, but the buckling did go away over time, without adding the mattress or gluing the flooring to the deck. The same may happen for you.

BTW, the red flooring with the white interior looks fantastic!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:57 am

This past Tuesday thru Friday I took the trailer out for another trip. This time we visited the Mogollon Rim, a 200-mile long escarpment of the Colorado Plateau. Here, in the Rim Lakes Recreation Area of the Sitgreaves National Forest, the elevation was about 7,000 feet, about 2,000 feet above the valleys below. This view is toward the West. Looking East I could see the smoke clouds of the huge fire now devastating the Apache National Forest 80 miles away.

I spent two nights in the Aspen Campground, which was quiet and peaceful with perhaps only a quarter of the campsites occupied.

The main attraction of the Aspen Campground is its proximity to the small but beautiful Woods Canyon Lake.

I considered boondock camping for the last night in one of the numbered camping sites along several Forest Service roads in the area. Surveying the possibilities in the Dodge, I was disappointed to find that virtually all were extremely rough with deep ruts along the entry cuts and interior roadways, and rocks (boulders) everywhere. Rather than risk damage to the underside of my trailer or worse, I opted for the parking lot style campground called Rim, again a quiet and peaceful spot.

Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:09 am

Beautiful photos, as always, Mike! I can't wait so see the fabric begin to take shape. :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby myoung » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:11 am

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Beautiful photos, as always, Mike! I can't wait so see the fabric begin to take shape. :thumbsup:

Cliff,

I like the wide open feeling and, at my height, I can just see over the rim of the opening. When closed, weather sealing isn't an issue. Bugs would be a problem, but, as you know, we don't have many of the flying variety around these parts.

Perhaps in the Fall.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals