Building of Lil Swan - Page 9-Built Frame Appears 12.3.2010

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby iplay10us2 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:24 pm

Congrats, Heikki! I wish I could see one in person.....maybe someday.

Besides wishing you and yours the best of luck, I want to tell you how much I admire anyone who takes their dream and makes it reality.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:45 pm

If you keep the quality that you put into yours (or make it better :D ) you should have a hit. I love the idea of the "trunk" but if you use the doors it will be somewhat of a visual mixed metaphor.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mandy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:41 pm

Congrats Capn' :applause: I'm so happy for you. :)
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:06 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:If you keep the quality that you put into yours (or make it better :D ) you should have a hit. I love the idea of the "trunk" but if you use the doors it will be somewhat of a visual mixed metaphor.

As I will be using stainless on the outside, Maybe that Towbox back should be a curved conture as the trailer front. :thinking: Hmm Maybe running Stainless Decor strips of sort down the front of the box with rounded oldie screws, they could have lasered design going down each one. such as a brushed metal:designing: :scratchthinking:

I think my mind and ideas are leaning towards a combo or mix of the Zyamfier and minitear combo. Meaning Retro in appearance. Thought about it all night I see . If Zyamfier doors are used then it wouldnt look good with the Classic Look of the towbox.. you just may have somthing there. On my present tear its a bit of Classic/Retro Look to it. Mild Retro should I say? :)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Flooring on the tear frame will be built of prefab sandwich element of 50 mm,s thick & 0.04mm stainless on the exterior facing pavement. Photo below. This will also provide warmth at the same time.

This is going back to our previous company who provided us with the fiberglass skin material which I used for our present tear. Installing Marine Type Carpeting on top.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby teardrop_focus » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Classic Finn

Lil Swan Now A Registered & Licensed Brand Name-Finland

Congratulations! I echo jackdaw's sentiments: "I'm so pleased for you . I know you'll make a great success , with your traditional / classic attention to detail..."

:thumbsup:

Question now. Since we no longer have the old Peugeot, but a Mazda 3 Hatchback. Its capable of pulling more: 550 kg unbraked and 1200kg braked.

With brakes - 1200kg - 2 645.54715 pounds
Without brakes - 550 kg.- 1 212.54244 pounds

Can I now have the axle set more back than on the old car? Im sort of confused with this.. :thinking: :thinking: :roll:

Setting the trailer axle farther back will increase tongue weight only.

The Mazda 3 is a fine chassis; it's the Ford C1 chassis shared with three marques: Ford Focus (2005 and later) and Focus C-Max... Volvo C30 S40 and V50... and Mazda 3... however I wouldn't want to add much additional tongue weight onto the back of a front-wheel-drive vehicle... Keep trailer tongue weight to the Euro (from what I understand) standard of 8% of the trailer loaded weight. (Granted, your customers will ultimately be responsible for how their teardrops are loaded for travel, but, you can know and advise them)

Again, Heikki, Congrats! and the very best of business luck to you!

:vroom:
Last edited by teardrop_focus on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Cant forget the beuracracy and laws here in Finland however. 1st we must find an appropriate Eu Approved Towbar before we build the frame.
Once that is achieved, in both proper length as in width, then we build the frame around that. Remembering that here nothing is easy or self explanatory. :?

I now have a place to purchase the towbars that have the EU inspection and strength test certificate sticker applied with certificates.

welding to frame anywhere. Here are just a few photos of these crazy towbars. Notice they can only be bolted in 2 places with no welding anywhere.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:04 pm

teardrop_focus wrote:
Classic Finn

Lil Swan Now A Registered & Licensed Brand Name-Finland

Congratulations! I echo jackdaw's sentiments: "I'm so pleased for you . I know you'll make a great success , with your traditional / classic attention to detail..."

Question now. Since we no longer have the old Peugeot, but a Mazda 3 Hatchback. Its capable of pulling more: 550 kg unbraked and 1200kg braked.

With brakes - 1200kg - 2 645.54715 pounds
Without brakes - 550 kg.- 1 212.54244 pounds

Can I now have the axle set more back than on the old car? Im sort of confused with this.. :thinking: :thinking: :roll:

Setting the trailer axle farther back will increase tongue weight only.

The Mazda 3 is a fine chassis; it's the Ford C1 chassis shared with three marques: Ford Focus (2005 and later) and Focus C-Max... Volvo C30 S40 and V50... and Mazda 3... however I wouldn't want to add much additional tongue weight onto the back of a front-wheel-drive vehicle... Keep trailer tongue weight to the Euro (from what I understand) standard of 8% of the trailer loaded weight. (Granted, your customers will ultimately be responsible for how their teardrops are loaded for travel, but, you can know and advise them)

Again, Heikki, Congrats! and the very best of business luck to you!

:vroom:

From our hearts a sincere thank you. Sort of scary in a way not knowing how this will go or turn out. But then again no one else is doing anything here as a Business of this sort. Also this has become somthing I enjoy and cant seem to get away from. But then Ive never wanted to. :lol: :lol:

Daytime job is a must though too. Which at my age is a tough thing to get nowadays. Even though Im working at present. From a Sailor to a Teardrop Builder is quite the change :lol: :D :D

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Due to further restrictions, laws and Eu rules (Which I hate) to the fullest extent. All lighting must be to the standards and stamped with an E1 or such code.

Now this has also caused some headaches and foul language in the beginning which now has eased a bit of 1st knowing where to find the likable lighting to fit. :lol: And then learning these idiotic rules and regs. that this country also is plagued with. :x

As of this year 2010 we now have a new Law effective January 1st which means that the lighting installed must now be inspected seperately in excess of the normal first time overall safety inspection. A seperate Official has been assigned to handle these at every Inspection Station at a one time fee of 85 EURO. :? :? :? He only checks to see that the lighting has been installed properly and at designated height width and level. :x :x In their designated places and EC or E1 stamps shown. Whew, what a rip off once again. I love the EU. And this country. :lol: :lol:

Now with that in mind and my electrical experience I have contacted a company in Germany that will provide us with a so called premade wiring harness call the Smart Cable :lol: Funny but very true. These should be easy to install by anyone with little experience. :D

I will post a few drawings or pics here shortly as to what they look like. ;) :lol:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby danlott » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 am

If you are selling a new trailer then the buyer should have to pay for the inspections right? I am assuming that these inspections are done when you register the trailer.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:46 pm

Good for you, Heikki, taking the bull (or the Moose) by the horns and getting started on your dream. Wow, you are going to relocate, that could scare some people, but I am sure you are looking at it with a positive frame of mind. Remember, the turtle never gets anywhere, unless he sticks his head out. I really like the profile of the Lil Swan, and it's too bad you can't build it without all of the government restrictions and inspections.

I do have one question though. I suppose there is a storage space below the galley counter top, but I see no way to get to it. Do you plan some sort of door from the outside in the rear? I am sure this will be another high-quality build, like your first one. Good luck on your efforts, and I know your planned move, will be a smooth one and you will be happy in your new home.
8) Ha det so bra. Roly
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:58 am

Since the profiles of the Lil Swan trailers are going to be done with CNC machines, has anyone done the ceiling by routing (dado) out the groove that the headliner ply will slide into? Im thinking of having this done as well as cutting out the sides by same means as to where the cabinet front faces will go or slide into in order to make it stronger than just screwing them in from the outside?

:thinking: :thinking: :designing:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby rbeemer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:25 am

They make bits for your router called rabbit bits that will do as you ask. I use one all the time to when building shelves and nightstands to put the back on.
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:12 am

Been working on the back lighting for the Lil Swans. Now that the pickings are many its tough to choose but here is one good candidate so far but not yet for certain. Also EU Approved so thats a big :thumbsup:

Also these lights by Hella are on the list. Quality for certain. And would give it a nice look.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Id like to present a couple of drawings now of the Lil Swan 1 :D I think this is going to be a real nice looking tear with a joint venture with the fine folks on T&TTT :applause:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals