Project leaving well enough alone is never an option

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby vanwyk4257 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks Kent!

Just snapped a couple photos of the door I picked up. I also found a great source for filon fiberglass siding today and I can get it in a 9'x23' roll for $.60 per square foot. I'm going to return the aluminum I was going to use and do the filon instead since I think it will yield a nicer finished look on the outside when done. It just means a bit more surface prep to get the best result.

Michael
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby StandUpGuy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Your title should be" Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!" You have a forge ahead attitude. Kinda cool. Keep up the good work.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby vanwyk4257 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:11 pm

StandUpGuy wrote:Your title should be" Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!" You have a forge ahead attitude. Kinda cool. Keep up the good work.

That's a fair assessment of my approach to any project. The downside is that it's easy to get so caught up in making progress that it's easy to lose sight of the intended scope and finished product. I lack the patience that many here exhibit to create a work of art. My project is more about utility but I want it to look good too. Thanks!
Michael
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby StandUpGuy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:13 pm

vanwyk4257 wrote:
StandUpGuy wrote:Your title should be" Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!" You have a forge ahead attitude. Kinda cool. Keep up the good work.

That's a fair assessment of my approach to any project. The downside is that it's easy to get so caught up in making progress that it's easy to lose sight of the intended scope and finished product. I lack the patience that many here exhibit to create a work of art. My project is more about utility but I want it to look good too. Thanks!
We are cut from the same mold. :beer:
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:23 pm

beware of burn out. One month after buying my utility trailer this is what my TTT looked like. I was thinking camping by mid July. Now here it is mid August and I have much to do yet. You and I are building a failry complicated trailer and there is a lot of work to do after the shell is erected. I am blamming it on the extreme heat! 8)

By justoneman at 2011-05-29
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby vanwyk4257 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 pm

I hear you. I love the nose on yours, I wasn't ambitious enough to attempt the complexity of a design like that hence the flat front on mine.
I'll definitely watch your project with interest!

I have to have mine done in September so I can focus on serious training for a 27-mile mountain bike race I have the first weekend in November and I'll be heading up for deer camp the following weekend.

Sometimes it's good to have a deadline. Cheers! :guzzle:
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby StandUpGuy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Your interior is failry straight forward. If you keep up your same build pace you can do it. You might be too tired for much mountain bike training however! :dancing:

My folks on my Father's side are from Bay City. Maybe you are going deer hunting where I hung out as a kid.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby vanwyk4257 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:13 pm

Our opening day deer camp is just NW of White Cloud MI. The hunting isn't very good, but my father-in-law and his family have been hunting there for decades so it's tradition. We have a couple other more productive places we hunt the rest of the season. We never fail to get some meat in the freezer either way. :)
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Duplicate Post
Last edited by vanwyk4257 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Took the day off work today and got all the walls mounted on the trailer and most of the roof spars on. Tomorrow I hope to get all the nailers between the spars in and the spars in the upper portion of the front wall. Hopefully I'll be able to get most of the exterior lauan on tomorrow.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Here's a couple of sub-par interior shots and a picture of my high tech cover that probably makes my neighbors jealous! :lol: Hopefully we'll get the siding on next weekend and I can be done with the tarp.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby StandUpGuy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:13 pm

I love your build it is going to be awesome! Nice job on crowning the roof. I can't wait to see more. :beer:
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby vanwyk4257 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks, my main challenge is going to be making a nice clean transition to the flat front angled wall. Still contemplating a couple different ideas to try out tomorrow. It's nice to have it out of the garage, now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will cooperate next weekend so I can try to finish up the exterior and start working on the cabinets and dinette inside the camper.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:56 pm

After a couple busy days all the exterior lauan plywood is on. There are a couple spots that need a little fitting but that's minor at this point.
Everything is glued with PL Premium adhesive and screwed, it's solid as a rock at this point. Hopefully I can get all the skin on the trailer and install the windows and doors next weekend.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Got a little bit of progress made today. It doesn't look like I'll get anything done with the siding this weekend given the amount of rain in the forecast, but hopefully next weekend. I ran wiring for the 12v dome light and porch light and installed the insulation in the ceiling and upper section of the front wall. I also started on the framing for the front cabinet and one of the dinette benches. I'm hoping to have all the dinette and cabinets framed in yet this weekend.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals