Budget Build For Boo!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Budget Build For Boo!

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:27 am

Just a thought, wouldn't it be nicer if the name tied into the flip-flop theme? :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:58 pm

Woman's prerogative to change her mind.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby fullon627 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:49 pm

Put in a solid 8 hours on the trailer today. Felt good to work that long without getting disturbed at all. That's never happen before. Is the world coming to a end and I missed it? Because I work on the trailer at my boat repair shop (outside on these nice days), I usually have people stopping by all day asking me boat questions even though I'm closed . Today I cut out the holes for the vent/fan and the skylight. I also drill a bunch of holes and rough wired the main trailer (I found out I needed a lot more holes than I drilled already!). The slide out will have a lot more wiring in it. The slide out will have the main panel/charger in it. The front of the trailer will have a small subpanel. I brought 10 gage wire to the front for the subpanel. Kinda overkill for what's happening up there, but the current will flow freely! Boo didn't help me today because I asked her to take the day off while I was wiring. I did have two wiring experts today watching over me to make certain I did it right! I also weighed the trailer at the end of the day. It's at 560lbs right now.

Cut the holes in the ceiling for the vent and skylight. I just put a piece of chip board across the top. got up there and cut them out. It was like being on the roof of a house, very solid. I used my worm drive skill saw to cut straight along the 2x2's, then finished the corners with the sabre saw.

Ready to Wire!!!

Ear plugs!

Good use for ear pugs so you wires don't disappear into the wood work.

Wiring pics. The switch for the outside lights on either side, will be in the ceiling as you open the doors. The inside ceiling lights will have their own built in switch. I left the wiring a little loose so I could sneak the insulation in under it.

Cut that close on the white wire!

Now I can't say enough about my two experts watching over me today. But they are dog tired!!!

I have had all kinds of dogs in my life, but Boxers are something else!. These are not even my dogs. Ones my sons, and ones my wife's that she rescued and decided to keep him. They were both busy today, so they left them to supervise me! I love having them around. Nothing but comic relief!! I now have had a potato in the oven for 45 minutes and my perfectly seasoned 1 and 1/2in thick rib eye coming up to room temperature! Bye for now!
Last edited by fullon627 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's a great world if you don't weaken!
Boats float and airplanes fly!
If you boat sinks you can swim!
If you airplane falls you can't fly!
Ken from Eureka Ca.

Boo's Build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60867
fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Been kinda milking it the last week. More thinking on what I want to do and how I'm going to do it. Boo, Mara and I did manage to insulate the roof and get the inside floor sealed (Boo is getting super excited!!!). Since I work on boats, I like to seal everything I can. Even with all the precautions with sealing. The dreaded water intrusion will happen, sooner or later. The only time this trailer will be outside, is when it's being used. I'm a firm believer of keeping boats, rv's and special cars/things inside when not in use. I know most people can't do that, or have to pay a pretty penny to store them. I just feel fortunate that I have a place to store my things.

We used Loctite professional spray adhesive to glue down the insulation. Don't think we really needed it because it fit so tight. We also tape down all the electrical

Sealed the inside floor with three coats of oil base.

Last edited by fullon627 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Seems like everything now at this phase, is taking longer to do than anticipated. We put the back perimeter on today. We also put some hardwood in for the back slide out. Found some Red Oak full 2x4. Used my free table saw today for the first time! Rip down the Red Oak to 1 1/2 by 2 3/4 inches. We wanted to use hardwood for the sliders because of the weight that the sliders are holding. Otherwise we would have had to thru bolt the slider and back that up with metal/aluminum. Would not look pretty on the outside. Now I would like to talk a little about Boo (Cassie). Like I said before, she's my youngest child out of five. Before I get stated on this, I'm very lucky for the children (and wife!) that I have. All of them are outstanding in their own way! One of the good things of all my children is that they didn't cost me a dime for college! They were all that good to have a free ride! I can't thank my wife enough for that! Back to Boo. She is an accomplish cellist. She sat first chair in her freshman year (and all years) in high school, She sat first chair in the Humboldt symphony and Eureka symphony in high school. She helped her High school teacher teach classes . He was a band teacher that didn't have a handle on strings. She taught classes in collage also, while being a student. She graduated at 22, did her stint that teachers have to do for a year for free????. She has been teaching music ever since. She is teaching Strings, Band and Choir. She can play many instrument's besides Cello. And can sing very well also! The best thing about Boo, she gives the best hugs ever!

Back side put up.

Red Oak for the sliders, also used Red Oak for the uprights to stiffen up the side walls

Slider In!

Slider out!

Last edited by fullon627 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby hesterj » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:11 am

Do you have any info on the sliders? Maybe a link to where you got them? Thanks

Your build is coming along great. I bet Boo is a proud young lady about her dad.
One of these days.....
hesterj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fullon627 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:40 am

hesterj wrote:Do you have any info on the sliders? Maybe a link to where you got them? Thanks

Your build is coming along great. I bet Boo is a proud young lady about her dad.

Actually, I'm the proud father! She has helped build this trailer all days except one. She is learning a lot of skills that most my other children don't have. These are commercial slides. Like use on fire trucks and such. They have many other items there also. The company is called Raydon. Best priced on the net by far. Here's the link to the draw slides. http://www.ryadon.com/
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Today Boo, Mara and I cut the roof panels out of 1/4 plywood. Then we pre-fit them on the roof. Traced out the sunroof and vent. Then we took them back off and cut out the holes. Boo and Mara then lined out where most the screws were going. Then they countersunk the screw holes, while I just kicked back. We then put the roof on with lots of glue and screws! Boo and Mara held down the plywood while I was on the roof screwing it down. Boo and Mara also today did a lot of filling and sanding of the countersunk screw holes from yesterday. Next comes Boo filling and sanding all the roof screw holes. Then we'll take the trailer off the frame to finish filling and sanding. Then it will be painted off the frame. The slide out is totally separate. It probably should have a build journal of it's own!!

Holes cut and countersunk panels

Boo and Mara getting one of the supervisors untangled from the air hose.

Roof on!!

Last edited by fullon627 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Boo and Mara came over after work tonight! To fill and sand the countersunk screw holes in the roof. Boo is dedicated and so is her friend Mara. Three days in a row! I guess I'm the slacker here. All I did was pull the trailer out of the shop and put it back in!

Photo off my office balcony.

A little closer.

A little more closer. I should have gone full zoom so you could see the screw holes that weren't there anymore!

Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:07 pm

Will the slide out have a leg or something?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby fullon627 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:58 pm

rebapuck wrote:Will the slide out have a leg or something?

Even though they are 500lb slides, they will have help from a middle roller and levelers once out. "I don't max things out, I just make it easy on everything".
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby andreuther » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:26 pm

We are all itching for another update, 11 days!!!!! Your deadline is so close. Oh and it looks great so far!
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby fullon627 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:57 pm

andreuther wrote:We are all itching for another update, 11 days!!!!! Your deadline is so close. Oh and it looks great so far!

andreuther, we did work on it last weekend. Just didn't have time to post. Received a new grandson on Wednesday! I don't think we are going to meet the deadline but it was something to shoot for anyhow. So last weekend Boo and Mara did a lot more filling, sanding and priming. I know that's been going on for a while but we want as smooth of a finish we can get. We decided we are going to spray it with three or four coats oil base enamel paint. The bed liner would have been to much money for a "budget build", especially with the slide out. The bed liner would have been around $900 for the amount we needed. The enamel will be around $200. I have a lot of experience with oil base enamel. It's tough and flexible. Wears like iron if done right. I considered epoxies (marine epoxies, since I'm in the boat repairing business), acrylics and several other forms of paint/coatings. All had their pluses and minuses'. I just kept coming back to the tried and true oil based enamel for this application. I worked on the slider a little also. It's a nice sunny day In Eureka today. So I'm going to pull it out today and belt sand the front lip off (borrowed a belt sander). I also will do some more work on the slider.

Sanding, filling and priming. Getting close to paint!

Used 1 1/4" x 3" Red Oak for slider base also. It will hold the screws for the slide tighter/better over time. Put two strips of 1/4" plywood underneath to get correct height and to keep it from flexing.

Put the plywood on. Will pull it back out to finish the bottom framing/supports. It slides in and out easy right now.

Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Only allotted myself four hours to work today because I'm cooking dinner for the family. Only worked on sanding off the front lip today. The belt sander just wasn't cutting it! After thinking of different ways to cut it off. I just went to the old hand saw. It took a while, had to go slow. I kept one hand on the blade to keep it flat against the trailer. It worked great and no marks on the trailer. Still not finding voids in any of the nice ACX I bought! I then sanded down the lip and top of front wall for a smooth transition . That took most of the primer off 4 inches down. I then thinned out some exterior wood putty and skim coated it. BTW, I overhung the front just so I could screw the roof down all the way to the very edge without having a blowout of the plywood. That's all for today!

Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby andreuther » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:55 pm

Congrats on the new addition to the family! Oh and the new grandkid. The trailer is looking great. Keep up the good work!
andreuther
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals