StandUpGuy's TTT (Not-a-RV)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: StandUpGuy's TTT (Not-a-RV)

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Then I made a bathroom door, though it is not installed or painted yet.

StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Vent opening from the inside.

StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:56 am

There is going to be a vent stack pipe that runs from floor to ceiling next to my rent port. My positive ventilation system will consist of a $5 clip on battery fan blowing out the port.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Installed the bathroom door.

StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:02 pm

since everything is very tight in my overstuffed little trailer, one issue was getting the bathroom large enough and having the door wide enough and yet having the door open up without hitting the cabinet on the other side.

I planned that part out perfectly to maximize all. The door clears the corner of the cabinet by a 1/16 of an inch.

StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Don't you love it when a plan comes together? :thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 pm

Yep! Just one more plan to go. How to get rid of the waste water.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Today finished jambing out the entrance door. Then I primed the entrance door and the bathroom door.

StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Here is a decent shot of the bathroom. Notice the vent port is to the back of the tiny bathroom. The light is to the back and a toilet paper holder will be to the back as well as a towel bar. All things to stay dry will be to the back behind the toilet. I shall simply put a tension shower curtain rod in front of those things with a clear plastic shower curtain to keep it all dry. Simple. It can be kept open most of the time to allow access to the dry things. Because the shower curtain will be clear the light will still fully illuminate during a shower.

StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bonnie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:22 am

That turned out so nice! Great job. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 am

Thank you so much.

I started it as a personal challenge to see if it was possible to get sleeping for two a dinette, a fridge, micro, AC, a sink, bathroom with toilet and shower with standing room all built on a harbor freight utility trailer. I think I have done it in a successful fashion. The big question is how much does it weigh and will it tow properly. I tried to build in a light weight manner all along the way, but frankly I just do not know about the weight. I need to get a hitch on my tow vehicle now.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby crumbruiser » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:04 am

Like Bonnie said, it is really really nice! :applause:
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby shootr » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:28 am

WOW! Just relived your whole project in an hour - thanks for details, good and bad.

Question on the shower pan - would that bedliner coating stuff have worked? I was thinking of using that in my build and seems like it would be flexible, strong, go on easy and one step, and have a little texture to it, depending on the brand.

Really nice job, I hope the journey was worth it because it is beautiful in engineering and aesthetics. :thumbsup:
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:31 am

crumbruiser wrote:Like Bonnie said, it is really really nice! :applause:
Frank

The execution of the trailer is so so. I am not a great craftsman. I think what I like about it is the theory behind its parts. It has a lot of sensible decisions in its design if you really think about them. For example. I have the tall part of the pop up in the very back by the entrance. So when you enter you can stand fully up and there is not a big head knocker situation. I have a very narrow "ledge" over the doorway so it lessens the head knocking too. There is a wider ledge on the sides where you cannot hit your head and they are only as wide as they need to be to make the pop up exactly 4 feet wide. This made the pop top efficient in material and easy to make and light weight. The bathroom is short but it allows the top of the room to be used to place an AC unit. Placing it there puts the AC high so cool air is put up high which is good and it also gets the AC as far away from the sleeping area as possible. The vee shape in the front brings weight forward over the tongue but because of the shape does not present a problem with hitting the TV in a tight corner. The shape of the nose should decrease wind resistance somewhat, yet still adds extra length to allow for the sleeping area. The sink next to the bathroom is simple that most of the plumbing is short and accesible from the sink cabinet. The sink cabinet is only 14" wide. The water heater chossen fits exactly in the narrow space without an extra half inch. The entire thing is an exercise in squeezing too much into a tiny space.
Last edited by StandUpGuy on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:01 am

shootr wrote:WOW! Just relived your whole project in an hour - thanks for details, good and bad.

Question on the shower pan - would that bedliner coating stuff have worked? I was thinking of using that in my build and seems like it would be flexible, strong, go on easy and one step, and have a little texture to it, depending on the brand.

Really nice job, I hope the journey was worth it because it is beautiful in engineering and aesthetics. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that.

As far as the bed linner, it is not structural in anyway. Any flexing in the wood portion of the shower pan in my opinion would make a stress point in the coating to allow water to find its way through. The fiberglass is making it like a boat hull so it is much more certain to hold water. I think you have a good idea and worth a try as long as if there is failure it would not be catostrophic. In my trailer it would not be a disaster if it failed. Cound be simply cut out and started over on again.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals