Tub Toys gone fishin' Update 8/7/11, cabinets etc

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby tsmiley23 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Found a great deal on windows on Ebay last winter
3'x 4' awning
30"x 4' awning
15"x 4' awning
Only problem was there were no trim rings. This was clearly stated in the auction and I bought the windows for $120 total including shipping from Wisconsin. So I figured I'd come up with a solution :thinking:

Well here it is:

CONSISTENCY!!!!!! It's only a good thing if you're not a screw up.
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tsmiley23 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:31 pm

S. Heisley wrote:It's looking really good! :thumbsup: :applause:

Thanks Sharon, I'm having a blast :P
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tsmiley23 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Been busy plugging away at my trailer and haven't gotten to a point where I thought I had anything post worthy, until today. Today I built a unique propane tank holder. I wanted to save as much space as I could on the "A- frame" so I decided to mount my tank as far forward as possible so that I still have room for a tongue box. So I pulled out some scrap steel and a rosebud and here's what I came up with:
The flange on the bottom of the propane tank sets inside the bottom ring.
If you look at the bottom of the tank you'll see I've drilled a hole in my ring and installed a lock:
And here you have the top strap installed. It's 1/4" x 3/4" mild steel and from working has a little spring back and is simply tightened with the one wing nut: This kept it simple and light and gave me plenty more room for a storage box. I'll build the box so the hose passes through. Not a masterpiece but I like simple and maybe someone here can adapt it to their needs.
That's not all, like I said I've been busy and as of today I've got the exterior siding done, all the windows, the door, and the running lights installed. So here she is, the only exterior to finish are the exterior storage drawers (stay tuned), they'll fit in right below the front marker lights.

My only problem now is, the ice is coming off all of the water here and the trailer work won't be as big a priority as fishing in the weeks to come. The good news is, she's campable I just need to throw a pad inside and a cooler. :P Maybe camping in her will help me with the interior design!
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tsmiley23 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Bought some 18 guage mill stainless, some 150 lb full extension drawer slides, some paddle drawer lock pulls and some weatherstripping and started fabbbing some outside access drawers for under the bed.
Here are all the parts including diamond plate for the drawer fronts:

This shot shows the profile of the frames and how the weatherstrip will integrate:

In this one the drawers have the front and back TIG welded in place, the frames are welded together and the weather strip is installed
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby High Desert » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Really enjoying your build! Lots of ingenuity and craftsmanship all wrapped into a great package. I think you propane tank holder is a top notch bit of designing and thats only one example of many. Thanks for sharing it all with us :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tsmiley23 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:23 pm

Here the frame is installed;

From the inside:

Time to build a bed frame to hold the drawers:
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tsmiley23 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Oh and before I install the drawers I insulated (1 layer of 1" and 1 layer of 1/2" foil face, for a total of R-13) and covered all of the electric runs with red tape and photographed each surface so I would know where all the wires went. Hopefully I can miss the wires now with all of my fasteners :worship:

tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bve » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:47 pm

High Desert wrote:Really enjoying your build! Lots of ingenuity and craftsmanship all wrapped into a great package. I think you propane tank holder is a top notch bit of designing and thats only one example of many. Thanks for sharing it all with us :thumbsup:

I can't say it any better than Shaun has... so I'll just quote his reply :applause:
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby tsmiley23 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:33 am

High Desert wrote:Really enjoying your build! Lots of ingenuity and craftsmanship all wrapped into a great package. I think you propane tank holder is a top notch bit of designing and thats only one example of many. Thanks for sharing it all with us :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words. It's fun to know people are watching and as much as I get from this forum....... hopefully I've got somethin to share.

I can't say it any better than Shaun has... so I'll just quote his reply Applause

Thanks Burke, I checked out your build and really appreciate your workmanship, :applause: I'll continue to watch and learn. Please keep us informed!

Terry
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:24 am

Terry,

Somehow I missed your update. Tub Toys is coming together nicely. Those stainless steel drawers are a work of art! You're in the home stretch now.

Take care, Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby tsmiley23 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:09 am

Hi Tom, glad you're still watching,:D thanks for the kind words. Looks like you're about done with the Silver Beetle, she's lookin' great. :applause: I feel like I have a long way to go, I've never done so much analyzing about how to put something together :thinking: but over all I feel like it's paying off. I can't wait to camp in her at some remote location.

I'd like to take this opportunity to explain the "Tub Toys" name. As I've stated before, I'm an avid fly fisherman and love to float tube on reservoirs. My biggest complaint was kicking a tube across a mile of water and then back against the wind, so I fabricated a bracket so that I could mount a 30 lb trolling motor to my tube and thus a "Tub Toy" was born. I've since established a business around my invention and sold them to other fishing nuts. My trailer build is subsidized by "Tub Toys" and hence the name. Here's a picture of my wife in a "Toy". You can see she's focused on her right hand, that's where I placed the speed control for the motor:

Here she is at full speed: (The tube and my wife)

Well I guess I highjacked my own post, but I thought I should let everyone know there's a reason for the strange name.
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tsmiley23 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Finished fabricating and installing the stainless drawers today, they were a ton of work and I spent hours integrating the frames, weatherstripping and locks. But I have huge, dry, secure, easy access storage:

They're bigger than they appear 28" deep x 19 1/2"wide x 13" tall

Here's how they fit into the interior:

And in order to install them this is what I've had to install inside:

Now I'm ready to start installing the interior paneling, stay tuned!!!! :D
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BC Dave » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:56 pm

WAOW!

Impressive!

Take a look at Cargo Trailers for some further ideas ... but you do seem to have the big and little picture worked out ...

It'll be great to just pull up with all your gear stacked in your TD and head out fishing; and at the end of the day have a nice dry place to stay. (I fly fish, & and tie, there for I am.)

What does your standie weight in at? Just for refrence I have a 6X10 - 6'-2 interior ht CT; before interior was finished it weighed in at 1200 lbs after 1600 lbs.

Also, im sure you know this; but be cautious with LP stoves and expecially the catalitic heater in enclosed spaces. They can produce CO2; use up oxygen and can asphiate (suffocate & kill). For piece of mind I installed a marine heater that vents to the outside. I can use it overnight when it drops below 40 (tested to -20 :) ) even then I keep a window cracked. Details in my build post; it was pricey but dollers well spent.

Cheers BC dave

:thumbsup:
Last edited by BC Dave on Tue May 03, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby tsmiley23 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks for the kind words and the tips Dave

I'm very interested in your fireplace, is this the marine heater you speak of in your post?

Can you provide more info on it?

As to weight, I've kept track as I went along: Trailer frame= 680 Lbs Trailer frame and insulated floor= 900 lbs Trailer frame, floor and walls w/siding 1520lbs Finished weight= I'm shooting for 2000-2200 lbs. This is a bit heavy but I think my trailer is overly strong and heavy, but I want to be able to take it off road and not worry about wracking the frame, we'll see.

As to why I went with a custom build as apposed to a CT, I wanted large windows, tight insulation and totally custom layout. The insulation is as important to me for the hot days as well as cold. I want to be able to spend mid days resting in it so I can fish mornings, rest mid day and fish again in the evenings. I'm hoping the insulation will help to keep it from scorching so I can nap.

I've garner some great ideas from you CT guys and that's why I love this site.

I'd be real interested in hearing about the fishing in your part of the world if you'd like to share, you can PM me. Thanks again for the advice.

Terry
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BC Dave » Tue May 03, 2011 11:41 pm

oop;not checking in here as often now that camping season is here ... got back from camping last weekend; it dropped to 25F and woke up to a dusting of snow; but was still toasty warm ...

"Thanks for the kind words and the tips Dave

I'm very interested in your fireplace, is this the marine heater you speak of in your post?"
- fire place pic - thats it! (... how did you copy dat?(...no need to answer))

"Can you provide more info on it?"
- info is in the in the (my) build post and on the Dickinson website; there located in BC but sell world wide; google marine heaters; dickinson; it should pop up there.

As to weight,....
- yes; seems a little heavy, but its solid; you've done your homework.

As to why I went with a custom build as apposed to a CT, I wanted large windows, tight insulation and totally custom layout. The insulation is as important to me for the hot days as well as cold. I'm hoping the insulation will help to keep it from scorching so I can nap.
- Dito; yes; insulation makes a large difference on both hot and cold.

I've garnered some great ideas from you CT guys and that's why I love this site.
- dito! ;) I dont mind giving back; greatfull for the generosity seen here on this site.

I'd be real interested in hearing about the fishing in your part of the world if you'd like to share, you can PM me.

Terry[/quote]

... reel screaming rainbows; let my biggest rainbow go; mostly catch and release on the fly; ... lakers; Kokanees; brookies; reel screaming head shaking jumping silvery fish in small clean remote mountain lakes ...;)

Im building a cabin near a larger lake at the moment; and the locals like to troal with hardware for the fish in larger lakes; I'v been treated a number of times to some troaling expiditions; lots of nice fish on the right day; Im luckey and greatful despite the 6 hr drive.

Cheers BC Dave
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals