My extra foot/ the plan

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:09 pm

Thanks you guys. It means a lot.

Micro, the hatch going all the way down is the last in a short list of options. Short hatch, tailgate (like the Texas Tears and Robs Cabin Car) and long hatch. I cannot imagine the long hatch being better or easier with the 12" radius on the bottom. SOOOOOO. :worship: I will worry about it when I get there, like Ira. :lol:

PS- don't sweat the caps. I rarely read anything into them.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:47 am

Yee Hah! The dry fit went well. This is the curb side with the door. The door has a tinted window.

This is the road side without the window in. I wish I had cut the hole so I could set the window in too. :(

And from the front. The junk is so we could make sure the bed and potty fit. :D

Sooooo, what do ya think. I am totally amazed I can build this thing with help from here and some lifting. :) :) :)

The one thing bugging me is the tiny wheels. UGLY :cry:

Thank you for your help and suggestions.
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby apratt » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:50 am

Hey it starting to look like something. It a Box.....No it is a Teardrop!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: looking good. :thumbsup:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:00 pm

Aunti M
My,My, That pile of wood is starting to take shape. It sure is starting to look like a teardrop. Great progress.

:thumbsup: :applause:
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:41 pm

Thank you, thank you.

I glued the frame to the sides and put a couple of coats of Polyurathane for floors on all the inside surfaces. It isn't water based after all and the fumes. Lordy, I got too hot and and the odor drove me outta the garage.

I sure hope it goes away or I'm starting over. Took forever to dry too.

I think by this weekend I can get the sides up and some of the ceiling done.

Pictures look same as other so didn't post. :R
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:45 pm

Ah I see it now. You have your wheels under the trailer, so you don't have to worry about packaging the fenders in the same place as the door! :? :lol:

Looking good. That's gonna be one comfortable teardrop!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:53 pm

:thumbsup: Thanks Mike.
The wheels are beyond ugly so I am working on a plan. :?

You would be amazed at the finiggling I am doing to the the tongue weight down. Made the whole thing too lite. :lol: Now I have to plan to get the tongue weight down and find a pot of gold to buy the mattress and hinge

Thanks so much for your help and encouragement. I really couldn't have gotten this far without this site and all the good folks sharing.

Aunti M
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Gaston » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:59 pm

be careful trying to get your tongue weight down. I was worried about a 170lb weight on mine till I finished it . after i put all the stuff in it (9gal water, loaded cooler, stove etc) that went behind the axle I was almost too light ! If I had hit my target weight (120) during the build I wouldn't have enough.

for those who don't know their tongue weight, if you have a lot of swaying, "bucking" on tarstrip roads or your hitch seens to "rattle" a lot you might need more tongue weight. I moved my ez up from the car to the front inside of the tear and it made a world of difference. :thinking:
The difficult we do now... the impossible takes a little longer
Gaston
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:50 pm

Thanks Gaston,
I will make a chart and add on as I go. Really don't want it too lite at the front either.

Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby kirtsjc » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:12 am

Miriam C. wrote:Thanks Gaston,
I will make a chart and add on as I go. Really don't want it too lite at the front either.

Miriam

Whilst Angib's trailer balance spreadsheet was intended for rough design, he and I have found out that it is pretty accurate for determineing what is going on right now with your tounge weight, and adjustments thereof.

Example, when I was planning on an air conditioner in the rear, my tounge would have only been 5%... Simply placing the 50 pound AC in the front brought my tounge to 9%.

Since I used an HF trailer, I can unbolt the axle assembly from the trailer proper, and after all construction and stuff is done and loaded, bolt the axle down in its "proper place."

Here is the link to the spreadsheet: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear81.htm

Good Luck!
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:00 pm

I'm backkkkkk. I have done a 100 little details.

The sides are stained. I used Minwax Natural color with a prestain conditoner. Pictures soon. The wood has a lot going on so I may go darker.

The edges are now sanded and marked for spars. They are also filled with epoxy. It only too a half a cup mixed. Went a long way. I do wish I had thinned the first coat. I went ahead and used the Bondo Marine from Home depot. I applied it with a cheap 2" angle brush. :thumbsup: ;)

OH lightning-gotta go
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:03 am

Go Miriam! Lookin good! Hope it cools off soon!

A question about sealing the ends of ply---is liquid epoxy soaked in good enuf or do you need the goopy stuff?

I hope to be doing that when the rain stops hereabouts. (not complaining--we really do need it....

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:18 am

Jim,
I don't think the goop stuff soaks in as well as the thinner. I worked with mine about 15 minutes before I noticed it was standing on top longer. Wish I had bought some acetone to thin with at that point.

It still went on and is very well covered. The Bondo dried crystal clear and very hard.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:43 pm

I have pink stuff. I finished the insulation yesterday. Should have put the ceiling and roof on but the wood isn't in. Seems they ordered 1/4 instead of 1/8. :x

Someday :worship:

Street side with the window cut out and the stain on.

Curb side
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby thobbs » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:45 pm

You're cruisin now. It looks great! :applause:
thobbs
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals