Benroy Woody

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Benroy Woody

Postby Vedette » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi Bob
You are definitely making Great Progress! :thumbsup:
Shasta???? :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine:
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Midget » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Hey Brian,

It's slow right now but it's progress. Not sure about Shasta. We never made it to a Dam Gathering but always wanted to. It was on the same weekend we hosted friends at a vintage car racing event. This year, Shasta is on a different weekend which helps. I'm still unemployed so we're not planning anything more than a few weeks out just in case I get that magical call. We are planning to take the new teardrop to a vintage racing event later next month. It's the weekend before the Perris teardrop meet so we're tentatively planning to stay in the SoCal area during the week in between and hitting that one too. As for Shasta, if nothing comes up on the job front, we may be making a last minute run up there. We'll put out the word and see if anyone has a site they would want to share.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:27 pm

There is always lots of room at Antlers.
Vintage Racing??
Have you checked out "CycleKarts" yet. :thinking:
I just found out about these (here on the Forum) about a month ago.....and I am hooked. :twisted:
Going to be my next project after Kermit is finished. :roll:
Plan to be racing in 2017.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PS
Don't google this or start watching the videos at Tieton if you have no will power.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Midget » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:39 am

Brian,

For years we have been going to races put on by the Vintage Auto Racing Association here in California. Some of our friends have built cars to race so it's fun to watch them. Years ago I thought about it but it's too expensive for me. We take the trailer and camp right on the fence line. It's a fun weekend. I tried to get others from the forum to join us but it never happened.

I saw the cycle karts a couple months back. Looks like fun but there's nothing around here to participate in. I have too many other projects anyway to dump money into.

We may see you at Antlers!

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Midget » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:47 am

Laid down some etching primer the other day. Getting ready to spray the black paint. I did find some imperfections in the aluminum on the hatch that needs a little body work. I'm afraid the black will show every imperfection.

Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:04 am

Black is more forgiving than you think? :thinking: Especially on curved surfaces. ;)
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Midget » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:36 pm

How about another update? This one with a photo?

The black is down and has sat for a couple days so now we can start hanging stuff on it. On the top I installed our Fantastic Vent. First I painted the white plastic on the outside with black plastic paint. Now it blends in. I also set up the fan motor with a 20 watt/8 ohm resistor so it slows the motor down. We put a Fantastic Vent in the Midget and it is very loud on the low setting. I also picked up a resistor for the Midget too. I put a small rocker switch on it to bypass the resistor just in case we want the hurricane breeze inside.

The solar panel is now on too. It's an 80 watt panel that's fixed to the roof right behind the vent. I thought about building brackets to tilt it when camping but decided to just leave it fixed. I got the tongue box installed and started on the wiring. The 12 volt was easy but my switch to go from shore power or inverter power on the 120 volt was a failure. I need to pick up a better switch. Our 12 volt LED lights look good. Even our porch lights mounted under the trailer are looking good. I was able to set these up with a remote controlled switch on a key fob.

I'm working on the trim for the hatch. I picked up a chop saw when I built the frame and it works pretty good on the trim. At least I'm getting clean straight cuts and 45 degree angle cuts. Better than trying to do it by hand.

Here's the top of the trailer.

Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby ratrod71 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Looks great. I really admire your workmanship! Bryan
Alaskan Benroy build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61738
ratrod71
Teardrop Master

Postby Midget » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:59 am

Bryan,

Thanks for the comment. It's really starting to come together. Yesterday we put our final coat of varnish on the sides. Once we give it a couple days to set up, it's on to the final assembly. Need to put on the fenders and finish off the taillight / side marker wiring, the edge molding, and finally set the doors in. It looks like our first outing will be a 10 day trip starting with a weekend of vintage car racing at Willow Springs International Raceway in the California desert and then taking a few days before attending the Perris Teardrop gathering.

I'm getting anxious to see how our Mini Copper will do pulling this thing. I measured the tongue weight yesterday and it's right at 75 pounds. I'll have to find a place nearby that can weight the whole thing once it's done and loaded.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Midget » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Getting very close to camping. We have one more week and then we're off to Willow Springs Raceway in the California desert for a weekend of vintage car racing. We finished up installing the corner moldings and flash moldings. Hung the fenders with Model A tail lights. Here's a pic.

Here's one from the back.

The tail lights really make it look vintage but I don't trust them so there are 12 inch LED tail lights mounted to the frame rails on the rear. These should be plenty visible.

Today I finished the tail light wiring, put a fire extinguisher in the cabin cabinets and installed both doors. I was going to do the LED running lights but they didn't come with any screws. Now I have another trip to the hardware store to make. The gas struts for the hatch arrived today so those will be installed next week. Tomorrow we head to Buttonwillow Raceway Park outside Bakersfield for some SCCA racing. Since the SCCA chapter owns the track, it's FREE! Next week we'll finish off the woody and be on the road next Friday for 10 days.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby jeresci » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:12 pm

I just read your entire thread. :thumbsup:
You have done some great work hear, and very much deserve the fun you will be having in your TD.
I'm just beginning my build, and I can on hope that my build will be as successful as yours. :worship:
jeresci
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:00 pm

:o Oh, My! It's looking really good!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Vedette » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:49 pm

Great Job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wish I was exactly where you are now? :thinking: It would make me sooooo inspired about the 2016 Camping season.
We really hope you can make Shasta Lake gathering, as we look forward to seeing you guys again :wine: :wine: and seeing the new trailer.
Unfortunately "Kermit" won't be with us at Antlers :cry: .......... but, Miss Piggy is excited about running down to California on her first trip out of the barn for 2016.
She loves the road! ;)
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby azgreg » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:29 am

Well done Midget! :applause:
azgreg
Donating Member

Postby ratrod71 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:45 am

Fantastic! Looks like your hatch hinge and trim are done in the same method I am planning. Did you put an aluminum spacer under your hinge on the trailer side to raise it over the edge trim? That is my plan on Vintecs recommendation. Your fit looks great. Nicely done, Bryan
Alaskan Benroy build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61738
ratrod71
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals